cant seem to build strenght...help

Replies

• fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    I also think stronglifts 5x5 would be a good program to start with. Just go back to 5 main lifts and cut all the extra for a while. Watch some form videos on bench press, go back to the gym and practice. Ask if they have a 35lb bar or smaller to practice with. Can you do pushups?

sorry, not able to do push ups.
    so you're saying i stop doing my current routine and just do these 3 exercises 3 times a day and that would put me in a better form than my current routine?

You can do pushups from your knees if you can't do them in normal form. There is no shame in that.

The big issue with your current workout is that you don't seem to be working out your chest at all. That is where your muscles appear to be weakest and why you are unable to do bench press, which uses your chest primarily. That is the core of your upper body strength and you need to develop it. Strong lifts in only 3 exercises because it works multiple muscle groups per exercise. It is better to do fewer meaningful exercises less frequently rather than doing exercises frequently that don't work what you need to work.

Always take a rest day between working the same body parts.

thanks so i did the 5x5 today. I did squats, bench press, barbell row. All with 45 lbs barbell and no weights added.

I am confused about working my chest. How is my chest even helping me with bench press? isn't it basically my arms and how strongly i push up the bar? whats the chest doing? nothing

My THIGHS are BURNING. I dont know if that means i'm on the right track or if i did something wrong like I can barely walk.

Can I still do cardio afterwards at least? to complete my daily 10k steps?

So what should i do next? tomorrow is rest day, can i do accessory/random dumbbell exercises and cardio on rest day?
    do i start adding weights the next time i do strength training and continue to increase weight with each subsequent turns or keep same weight for a week before adding more weight the next time?

how long am i supposed to keep the strength going for? so im not even doing lat pulls or dumbbell curls or shoulder press, leg extension...any of these exercises?

Bench press is primarily a chest exercise. Your arms guide the bar, but your power comes from your pectoral muscles. It uses shoulders and biceps/triceps too, but they are secondary muscles. Without chest strength, you will not be able to lift much.

As far as whether to increase weight, that is somewhat of a judgment call that you can make when you feel comfortable at each level you are at. You do not have to increase every time and as you move farther, you are not expected to increase every time.

I think some light cardio after your lift would be okay.

I would not do any other lifting besides strong lifts for the duration of the program. Take your time and build the basics. After you are finished with the first round, you can look at maybe adding some other exercises. But the program works your whole body pretty well with those three lifts. That's why it chooses them.

but am i then like not ignoring my biceps, shoulders and triceps by simply not doing exercises like dumbbell curls, cable triceps push down, etc?

i am finding it hard to believe this this simply program that i only have to do 3x times a week is gonna be more effective than my current routine:

1. 4 sets of 15 reps of dumbbell row of 55 lbs. 2 on each side.
    2. 2 sets of 15 reps of shoulder press of 35 lbs.
    3. 2 sets of 15 reps of dumbbell curves of 35 lbs.
    4. 2 sets of 15 reps of triceps extension of 35 lbs.
    5. 1 set of 15 reps of barbell curl of 50 lbs
    6. 1 set of 15 reps of curved barbell front raise 40 lbs.
    7. 2 sets of 15 reps of lat pull down of 90 - 110 lbs
    8. 2 sets of 15 reps of cable triceps push down 40 - 55 lbs.
    9. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg extension 70 - 80 lbs
    10. 2 sets of 15 reps of sitting leg curl of 120 lbs
    11. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg press of 135 lbs
    12. 15-25 min cardio

please confirm.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited September 2019
    I also think stronglifts 5x5 would be a good program to start with. Just go back to 5 main lifts and cut all the extra for a while. Watch some form videos on bench press, go back to the gym and practice. Ask if they have a 35lb bar or smaller to practice with. Can you do pushups?

so you're saying i stop doing my current routine and just do these 3 exercises 3 times a day and that would put me in a better form than my current routine?

No... you stop doing what you are doing and do strong lifts 3 times per week, with at least one day between each session.

Your triceps get worked from the bench and shoulder press, your biceps get worked in the rows, and a bit in the deadlift.

and it is 4 exercises, bench press, shoulder press, squat, and deadlifts.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    As someone who has done compound lifting and isolation lifting routines, compound (for me) blows isolation out of the water. I decided to experiment this year.

This year I did 8 weeks of an isolation program (5 gym days a week) and got next to nowhere in strength. I swapped 3 weeks ago to compounds again (3 gym days a week), (3 legs, 1 push and 1 pull so 5 exercises in total) and my strength has increased very quickly, plus I am seeing body composition changes already after 3 weeks.
  • fitpal02020
    There’s an analogy I like to use when explaining why you shouldn’t work the same muscles every day. You can knead dough all day long, but if you want it to rise, you have to leave it alone. Muscles grow during rest. After a certain point, working out more often is actually PREVENTING them from growing in response to your lifting.

I asked a couple of questions earlier which you didn’t answer. What weight are you able to handle with your dumbbell bench press? Are there angles such as inclined bench which are easier or harder for you? I asked these questions for a reason - as many people have pointed out, it’s unusual that your bench is so low when some of your other lifts are higher. Shoulders are complex and it’s easy for something to go wrong with them. Before beating yourself up trying to lift heavier, you need to determine if there’s a problem.

i have never done dumbbell bench press, only regular bench press with an empty bar. whether its inclined or not, im still not able to bench press with weights.

• fitpal02020
    erickirb wrote: »

You can do pushups from your knees if you can't do them in normal form. There is no shame in that.

The big issue with your current workout is that you don't seem to be working out your chest at all. That is where your muscles appear to be weakest and why you are unable to do bench press, which uses your chest primarily. That is the core of your upper body strength and you need to develop it. Strong lifts in only 3 exercises because it works multiple muscle groups per exercise. It is better to do fewer meaningful exercises less frequently rather than doing exercises frequently that don't work what you need to work.

thanks so i did the 5x5 today. I did squats, bench press, barbell row. All with 45 lbs barbell and no weights added.

I am confused about working my chest. How is my chest even helping me with bench press? isn't it basically my arms and how strongly i push up the bar? whats the chest doing? nothing

My THIGHS are BURNING. I dont know if that means i'm on the right track or if i did something wrong like I can barely walk.

So what should i do next? tomorrow is rest day, can i do accessory/random dumbbell exercises and cardio on rest day?
    do i start adding weights the next time i do strength training and continue to increase weight with each subsequent turns or keep same weight for a week before adding more weight the next time?

how long am i supposed to keep the strength going for? so im not even doing lat pulls or dumbbell curls or shoulder press, leg extension...any of these exercises?

Bench press is primarily a chest exercise. Your arms guide the bar, but your power comes from your pectoral muscles. It uses shoulders and biceps/triceps too, but they are secondary muscles. Without chest strength, you will not be able to lift much.

As far as whether to increase weight, that is somewhat of a judgment call that you can make when you feel comfortable at each level you are at. You do not have to increase every time and as you move farther, you are not expected to increase every time.

I would not do any other lifting besides strong lifts for the duration of the program. Take your time and build the basics. After you are finished with the first round, you can look at maybe adding some other exercises. But the program works your whole body pretty well with those three lifts. That's why it chooses them.

but am i then like not ignoring my biceps, shoulders and triceps by simply not doing exercises like dumbbell curls, cable triceps push down, etc?

i am finding it hard to believe this this simply program that i only have to do 3x times a week is gonna be more effective than my current routine:

12. 15-25 min cardio

please confirm.

bench press works chest, shoulds, tricps (primarily chest, you will feel this as you get heavier)
    shoulder press works shoulds, tricps, core
    Rows work Back, biceps, forearms, core
    Squats work Legs, core, upper back
    Deadlifts work mainly legs and back, but will engage pretty much full body,

As you see above, all muscle groups get hit, plug you get to recover.

This program has no recovery build in... not allowing recovery will actually make you weaker, plus working in the 15 rep range does not build much strength. strength is build from pushing yourself in the low rep ranges.

Also, you may want to do your cardio on your non-lifting days, this will be better for recovery. If you want to get more steps in on lifting days, walk.

thanks and what am i supposed to do with the immense pain im feeling in my thighs which i felt after my first 1st powerlift work. today was my 'rest'day but im still not able to walk properly. is this a sign im on the right track or i did something wrong?

• fitpal02020
    11Templars wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

12. 15-25 min cardio

please confirm.

You asked for advice. You've gotten it and it's been consistent and good quality advice. So, then if what you are doing hasn't been effective, why do you want to keep arguing for it?

You've gotten great recommendations. Follow them for profit or just keep doing what you've already done and keep getting the same results.

Pretty much this ^^^.. But, to over simplify; A push is a push, and a pull is a pull. Meaning simply this: every pushing exercise, be it bench or shoulders press works your triceps, and every "Pulling" exercise works you biceps, whether its arm curls, back day, or even deadlifts.

As the gentleman point out, if you want the same results you've been getting, then keep doing to same things. If you want the results I, or others have been getting then listen to the advice you asked for. It was free, and I guarantee it'll work better than what you've been doing.

I'm 50 yrs old, 210 @10 bf, I've learned a thing or two over the years... :-)

thanks. just reassuring myself.
    well sounds like this is the plan I'll be following for me then.
    i did my first powerlift yesterday and my thighs feel a lot of pain. what do you suggest i do about the immense burn/pain im feeling in my thighs?today was my rest day.

how long am i supposed to do this program for? when can i start to insert accessories exercises like shoulder press, bicep cable extension, sitting leg curl etc into my routine?

• fitpal02020
    Danp wrote: »
    Just to clarify when people are telling you to do 'resistance training' they're not talking about resistance against the helpful advice they're offering.

You've come with a question, lots of people have offered excellent advice, suggestions and insight but you seem to be flatly ignoring it all. Are you really just looking for someone to agree with the approach you've already decided on so you can feel better about it?

why are all these machines at the gym anyways if all im supposed to do are just powerlift exercises 3 times a week?
    whats the point of sitting leg curl or shoulder press or biceps cable extension if im not supposed to do them at all
    ? who are these exercises meant for then?

This discussion has been closed.