The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,166 Member
    Got a dog in that was running with a stick in it's mouth. He dipped his head and rammed the stick down his throat all the way into the chest. He's still alive but it did some damage to the trachea and lungs.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    @sufferlandrian holy cow
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    @sufferlandrian - Tough night.
  • bethanie0825
    @sufferlandrian how'd everyone fare?
  • sufferlandrian
    The stick dog and the botulism dog both survived to tell the tale. The HBC dog didn't fare so well.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Wow, what a whacked out week it's been!! Hope that's the end of food poisoning and 'running with scissors' experiences, @sufferlandrian. I've always wondered how dogs didn't get food poisoning all the time, what with all the garbage and crap they get into.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    Halfway through mid #6 out of 7... then four "days" off before 3 more 12-hour mids... Thinking I will not go back to a daylight schedule even at home, but continue to stay up at night and sleep in the day. Will be very quiet at home with everybody asleep except me...
  • sufferlandrian
    @nossmf - I used to do that. I was sleeping while the kids were at school and I was up at night. I would shift my wake sleep schedule enough to be up in the evenings when they got home from school, but not completely flip it. Now I'm working 24 to 72 hour shifts so my sleep schedule is all messed up and I just sleep whenever I want or can.
  • sufferlandrian
    It's nice to have tonight off from work. Got to spend some time with my son but I don't think he believes me when I tell him "It's not that nothing will make you happy when it comes to a job, it's that you haven't found that thing yet. You're only 15!"
  • bethanie0825
    They have no idea how much life they have ahead of them lol
  • sufferlandrian
    I don’t think my parents could convince me I was doing ok so I don’t know why I think I can convince him.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    Almost done with my first home night shift, aka first "day" off before my next graveyard shift on Friday. It was VERY quiet with everybody else sleeping, nobody talking or computers beeping or industrial air conditioning blowing.

Not sure if it's just because this was night #8 in a row staying up, but it wasn't even that hard last night... no caffeine, no 5-Hr Energy. Of course, surfing the internet for hours on end is always easier to stay alert rather than staring at a work computer monitor just waiting for something to happen to justify being there 24-7-365...
  • sufferlandrian
    Sounds like an IT job. When nothing happens it couldn’t be more boring. When something happens they want you to have it fixed yesterday. 🤪
  • bethanie0825
    I don’t think my parents could convince me I was doing ok so I don’t know why I think I can convince him.

Nah, my parents couldn't tell me either lol and my stepson doesn't listen
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Getting ready to head home. Almost 12:30am, and my stomach is growling. I know I can't eat this late, which is what makes this even worse.
  • sufferlandrian
    I can't eat certain foods before bed but things like eggs or a protein bar I can eat. Dinner rolls are right out. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Last night off. So far it’s a good one. 😊
  • sufferlandrian
    Slow board these days. Back to work. Had a client who's dog wasn't doing well last night. We called a dozen times and couldn't get her to answer or call back. She shows up this morning and luckily we hit a combo of drugs that got the dog doing better. We even called her cell while she was standing at the front desk and it didn't ring. I thought for sure we were going to have her show up to a dead dog. One of the nice things about an emergency clinic is you get to send them back to their regular vet in the morning. Hopefully the little bounder does well enough to not need to come back tonight.
  • bethanie0825
    Getting ready to head home. Almost 12:30am, and my stomach is growling. I know I can't eat this late, which is what makes this even worse.

If I have to eat after midnight, I'll grab one of the Ore-Ida or Jimmy Dean Scrambles or a protein bar, if I have one in my bag.

@sufferlandrian Hope the doggo is doing better and doesn't come back tonight
  • sufferlandrian
    Heard from the referring vet. We got the dog through the night but the owner decided after taking him back to his regular vet that he was suffering too much and put him down.