Banana?

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    For me they are satiating, low in calories, cheap and nutrient rich. That makes bananas a win in my book.

I eat 2-3 every day.
  • ku140
    ku140 Posts: 65 Member
    For me, they are satisfying, reasonable for calories, and nutritional. I usually eat 1 a day!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    As long as you're not eating so many bananas that they drive out other necessary nutrition while you stick to a reasonable calorie goal, or drive calories up above a sensible level in order to get adequate overall nutrition, it's fine to eat arbitrarily many bananas.

Healthy weight is important, so calorie management is important.
    Overall sound nutrition is important for good health, too.

Eat well-rounded nutrition at the right calorie goal for best health results, using whatever foods you personally enjoy.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    I have at least one per day for the potassium.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Banana or apple, every day. Usually a banana. Filling, satisfying, and a better use of my precious calories than some processed "healthy snack" or diet food.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    1/3 to 1/2 banana with strawberries in the breakfast grains every morning.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Where is the banana girl link. The one who eats 39 bananas a day etc.

Omg Freelee.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I think the banana is one of the best carb sources available. Eat before, during, or after a workout or at any time you feel you need the carbs. I've carried them with me on bike rides, hikes, kayaks, etc., and I really appreciate the biodegradable packaging.

Now, here's a hard question: my grocery store puts the organic and conventional bananas right next to each other with significant price difference. I can't decide if organic bananas are worth it, particularly since pesticides are likely mostly on the outside of the peel, and are thus not consumed. Please discuss.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I think the banana is one of the best carb sources available. Eat before, during, or after a workout or at any time you feel you need the carbs. I've carried them with me on bike rides, hikes, kayaks, etc., and I really appreciate the biodegradable packaging.

Now, here's a hard question: my grocery store puts the organic and conventional bananas right next to each other with significant price difference. I can't decide if organic bananas are worth it, particularly since pesticides are likely mostly on the outside of the peel, and are thus not consumed. Please discuss.

If it has a peel I get conventional...
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Where is the banana girl link. The one who eats 39 bananas a day etc.

39 bananas a day....CRAZY!

I love bananas and find them the most satisfying before, after or during a workout. I eat one sometimes two everyday!!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

You were SO close to a banana joke here...."I eat bananas because they have APPEAL!"
  • wilson10102018
    J72FIT wrote: »

You were SO close to a banana joke here...."I eat bananas because they have APPEAL!"

He slipped on that one.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    dodea48 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You lose weight by eating less calories than your body burns. The amount of sugar you eat is irrelevant. If you enjoy bananas and find that you can fit them within your calorie goal while feeling full, then go ahead and continue eating them.

Obviously eating 1500 calories per day of healthy food is healthy and eating 1500 calories per day of sugar is not healthy -- so the amount of sugar is relevant. Sugar is very calorie dense and nutrition poor. Watch the macros in your food diary. I am sure one banana fits in most plans.

Added sugar is...
  • wilson10102018
    We live in these bodies too and many find that refined sugar energies them in accordance with their needs. Not everyone "crashes" after a sugary menu item. Just like many of us do not retain water or get elevated blood pressure from a ton of sodium.

Plenty of room for refined sugar for some people. And, telling others what is good for them is not productive.