Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on the “glamourizing/normalizing” obesity vs body positivity conversations

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    dodea48 wrote: »
    I hope people realize that "fat and fit" is a delusion like "functional alcoholic"

Brian Shaw's BMI was 45.4 when his weight was at 412lbs. He isn't representative of that weight range among the general populace, but he and his competitors also clearly show that "fit" is something that can certainly be achieved in the absence of underlying medical issues.
    8hDzEPc.jpg

Strong does not equal fit. I would disagree with the idea that Brian Shaw was fit in this photo. Strong, sure, but fitness is not represented by the amount of muscle a person has.

I'm not certain of the timeline between this photo and his challenge vs the ex Navy SEAL, but the ex SEAL was as fit as you would expect and Shaw won the challenge.

To be perfectly honest I'm not certain exactly what would constitute "fit" as it seems to be a moving target among various disciplines - remember the NFL Linemen conversations? I don't have a problem considering him fit, but I do acknowledge as stated that he's more of a one off.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Is the empathy heirarchy based upon the empathy you feel for those judged without empathy?

We need a Roberts Rules of Order on da feelz.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Marginalizing the obese doesn't help them become less obese.

Out of curiosity why would you think that it wouldn't decrease obesity rates to marginalize obesity? It certainly decreased the number of people who smoke when society marginalize smoking and made it inconvenient to be a smoker and if you are a smoker quitting isn't an easy fix and often takes years.

Just to be clear by "societal pressure" and "margalization" I don't mean being verbally abusive to overweight people, same as I don't mean that you should be verbally abusive to someone who smokes. That said I think having a bit of a mantra in society of how smoking or obesity are things to avoid and shun is a positive force overall, even if some people feel disadvantaged because of it.

There is also a big difference about having empathy for an individual and having just global societal acceptance of what could be argued is a negative trait. I think society should put pressure against obesity...doesn't mean I can't have empathy or understanding for an individual who is overweight. Not wanting society to accept obesity is not the same thing as promoting fat shaming.

How are you defining "marginalization" in this context? I suspect your definition isn't similar to the way the world marginalization is commonly used in areas like sociology, public health, and the social sciences more broadly. That is to say, the way you're using the word is likely different to the way that people who are doing research in fat studies are using the same word.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I mean, I don't pay as much attention as I used to, but I don't see many (if any) magazines putting 350lb women on the cover, certainly not health or fashion related publications. Most "plus-size" models are just in the overweight range, and it's rare to see them on the cover of anything, except as a token "here, don't tell us we don't represent real women anymore, okay?" one off. There have been one or two actresses I can remember off the top of my head that did a lot of publicity at one point with the requisite admiration for their beauty, but no one holding them up as examples of good health.

ETA: One of the reasons Ashley Graham gets so much media attention and controversy is because she is unique. Her weight is always being praised/criticized/argued about, and I'm not even sure if she is technically obese or not.

Out of curiousity I googled her stats, and if the internet is to be believed, she is 5'9", 187.5 pounds, which puts her at a BMI of 27.7. Which is overweight, but not even close to obese. That shows how far off we are from a society that glorifies obesity when she is what is considered "plus size".

If the Internet is to be believed LOL. If you Google her, it seems her weight changes as much as most people change their underwear. Apparently something magic happened in late 2018. Articles say she was over 200 pounds (which at 203 lbs would make here technically obese). but lost wight to a healthier level.