Stuck and need help

Hi guys (and gals) I have been at the same weight (five or take a pound) for about three months. I am only about 10-15 pounds away from being where I need to be to start bulking. Problem is I cannot get the number to move. I have increased exercise tried slowly increasing calories slightly and then dropped back to the suggested amount for 1.5 pounds a week. Nothing. Not even an ounce. Any suggestions of what worked for you?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    1.5 pounds per week is very aggressive considering you're close to goal. Try switching to 0.5.

Good luck.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    1.5 pounds per week is very aggressive considering you're close to goal. Try switching to 0.5.

Good luck.

Agreed.

And do you use a food scale?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    MDL1418 wrote: »
    Hi guys (and gals) I have been at the same weight (five or take a pound) for about three months. I am only about 10-15 pounds away from being where I need to be to start bulking. Problem is I cannot get the number to move. I have increased exercise tried slowly increasing calories slightly and then dropped back to the suggested amount for 1.5 pounds a week. Nothing. Not even an ounce. Any suggestions of what worked for you?

Try committing to using a food scale for every solid food humanly possible for the next couple of weeks. Whole food, packaged food, butter, salad dressing, snacks, single serves, every dang thing you can. It's possible there's something (or multiple things) you are eating regularly where trusting the package or your eye is causing you to underestimate your calories in. Double check the entries you are using in the database have the correct calories, and that you are logging everything - beverages, condiments, cooking oil, midnight snacks, everything.

If after a couple of weeks nothing jumps out at you, then it will be time for a plan b :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,941 Member
    Um.

Why do you want to lose and then bulk? Why not work that recomp now??

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

• MDL1418
    MDL1418 Posts: 50 Member
    Well I will answer that based on the research and knowledge previously shared with me. It has been suggested that you reach your ideal body weight before bulking. Again, this is what I have been told, so I may be wrong. But the way it was put is that if you’re not at your ideal body weight percentage and you begin to bulk, that really you’re just adding muscle under fat so the results are not as good. Also, I’ve been told that unless you eat above maintenance somewhere between 200-500 additional calories you can’t really achieve the gains you may desire. The concern I have is if I am not at 15% body fat or less and I begin eating more calories, that 1) yes- I will gain weight because of strength training but that I’ll 2) be gaining additional body fat. So I am trying to get to my “ideal” weight before I add more weight.
  • MDL1418
    kimny72 wrote: »
    MDL1418 wrote: »

Try committing to using a food scale for every solid food humanly possible for the next couple of weeks. Whole food, packaged food, butter, salad dressing, snacks, single serves, every dang thing you can. It's possible there's something (or multiple things) you are eating regularly where trusting the package or your eye is causing you to underestimate your calories in. Double check the entries you are using in the database have the correct calories, and that you are logging everything - beverages, condiments, cooking oil, midnight snacks, everything.

If after a couple of weeks nothing jumps out at you, then it will be time for a plan b :smile:

Hi, thank you. I will continue to do this - been doing this religiously - have two scales and count everything
  • saweeks78
    saweeks78 Posts: 9 Member
    Stalls are natural. Be happy and grateful were you are. Stressing will only lead to a longer stall. I have been through about 5 stalls in my weight loss journey. The ones i stressed were the worst and longest. Keep living healthy.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    As I read about people eating more to bulk..then eating at a deficit to cut. Why not start bulking now that you're 15 pounds away? Wouldn't that save time and trouble?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    As I read about people eating more to bulk..then eating at a deficit to cut. Why not start bulking now that you're 15 pounds away? Wouldn't that save time and trouble?

Bulking and cutting is usually done in repeating cycles. First you get fairly lean, then you bulk to build muscle which comes with some fat, then you cut to get rid of the extra fat, then you bulk again to build more muscle which comes with some fat, then you cut to get rid of the extra fat, etc. This way you aren't walking around carrying 10 or 20 lbs of excess fat (which is unhealthy and for many is probably not the look they want) while working hard to build muscle.
  • MDL1418
    Yes, that is correct- that’s why I’m trying to get to my leanest before I begin the bulking process. Because when one is at their ideal body fat percentage and they bulk, adding weight, it’s not atop fat that should/could be lost before. That’s my point.
  • MizzouWins
    MizzouWins Posts: 14 Member
    You are doing a great job it is about highs and lows and finding maintenance keep up the Good Work let me know if you need any tips I have lost over 100pounds and manage to keep it off.
  • MDL1418
    MizzouWins wrote: »
    You are doing a great job it is about highs and lows and finding maintenance keep up the Good Work let me know if you need any tips I have lost over 100pounds and manage to keep it off.

Thanks so much. And I will. I appreciate the kind words! And great work to you!