Plateau in weight loss. How to break through ??

So ... I’ve been using the MyFitnessPal app for around two months and have lost 20 pounds. The last couple of weeks however I have not lost and even GAINED two pounds last week. I’m not taking in more calories. Any ideas on how to get back into weight loss mode ??

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited September 2019
    You're still in weight loss mode.

Fluctuations and plateaus are a normal part of the process. You only need to be patient. You don't need to make any changes.

You always lose a lot of water weight at the beginning.

Congratulations on your success so far.
  • I totally agree with @LyndaBSS. Patience is very important. If you are drinking lots of water to keep your body properly hydrated, your body will eventually let go of the excess weight. If over a month you don’t see any further weight loss, then just make small realistic and sustainable improvements to what you are currently eating, quality improvements first, then quantity changes second.

Your worst enemy is your lizard brain. It’s basically the negative counterproductive thoughts that tell you this isn’t working.

It is working, your body just needs time.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    do you weigh everything you eat?

you could try cutting 100 (or 200 if you can afford it) calories per day and see if that makes a difference.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    You've been losing weight very quickly, and it's perfectly normal to have a week or two here and there where you don't lose or even gain weight.

The scale weighs everything in your body, not just the fat, and that other stuff fluctuates every day, especially water. Honestly, it's surprising this is the first time you've seen this.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each sub-forum, lots of great info there. Be patient and good luck!
  • sthurman
    sthurman Posts: 23 Member
    I have been on the weight loss train many times in my life. One thing I know to be true for myself is rapid weight loss can feel like a victory until my body adjusts and loss slows or halts.
    Sometimes we hit plateaus right when we feel like we’ve been making great strides and that can be frustrating.
    For now, keep up with healthy eating habits and portion sizes. Give it a good week or two eating healthy and exercising as you have been.
    Then if you’re still not back to losing, take a good look at water intake and evaluate your daily/weekly caloric intake and see if any adjustment is needed. Sometimes our bodies are just adjusting to the loss, seemingly restructuring our intake and needs and the burn slows down for a bit. I recently hit a plateau and felt discouraged but knew to wait it out and be consistent.
    A week later the weight that wouldn’t budge fell right off with minimal effort.
    Be patient with yourself and know you’re doing a great job already. Slow isn’t a bad thing, it just feels less satisfying sometimes.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member

This link needs to either be used in tandem with the 'Why Am I Not Losing Weight?' flowchart or replace it all together...good information, with pictures! :)