What happened when you stopped lifting weights?

Just curious... seems like the opposite question to ask
Did you get smaller? Softer?
What about just a break from weight training? Any differences in body or mind or strength?

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I got weaker
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    I got smaller and weaker and my joints started to hurt. A lot.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I got fat. (The pregnancy may have helped with that. ;) )

Oooh, good answer! Me too.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    My toneage went away.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    I started to have pains in my joints. I didn't stop on purpose (life happened) but I am back at it, hoping the pain in my joints get better soon!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I stopped for most of July and didn't really notice any changes. When I returned to lifting I was able to pick up right where I left off. However, I'm not sure that would be the case if I stopped longer, plus, I did lift like 3 or 4 times randomly over the course of the month when I had some spare time.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    anewell28 wrote: »
    Just curious... seems like the opposite question to ask
    Did you get smaller? Softer?
    What about just a break from weight training? Any differences in body or mind or strength?

I did a lot of weight training about 10 years ago. Went to the gym 6 days a week, could do 60 real pushups, was strong. Stopped going after hurting my back, and ended up just totally straying off that path and gaining weight. Now I'm 50, everything hurts, and I have zero strength. A break I think is fine, for a few weeks. But, you lose muscle after a while if you don't keep working it. It is the working that builds it, after all. Tear and repair the muscles to grow them. It's easy to get cardio back, but strength can take a long time to rebuild.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    I lost a lot of strength, gained a lot of weight and everything hurt all the time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Interesting to see a number of you mention pain.

I am currently lifting sporadically due to golfer's elbow. (I do bodyweight for lower body due to knee issues and not being set up for anything else at home.)

When I take a long break I feel flabbier and weaker.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    I also have golfer's elbow. I recently took two weeks off for vacation and the pain became unbearable. Now that I am back at my workouts it has improved significantly.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited September 2019
    This is the 3rd year I have had to take 3-4 month off lifting. (March-August) for unavoidable personal reasons which includes quite a bit of travel.

I do a basic bodyweight programme while I’m away.

What I have found is I start losing strength at the ~4week mark and it declines from there.

I judge this by how I can manage my suitcase (half my bodyweight) during my travels. At the start I can manage airports, underground, trains, buses etc, with little problem (carousel, stairs, lifting here and there etc) Going home ugh, I’m seriously struggling with what I was perfectly capable of before.

Visually, I go from looking lean, as though my muscles have tone and my skin is plumped and glowing, to skinny, flaccid muscle tone, and stringy striated dull skin.
    (ETA: and my belly gets lax (loss of deeply hidden abs) and jiggles even more than usual)

I don’t get aches and pains, but my flexibility and stamina drop a little.

It takes about 6 weeks to ramp up to where I left off, then I have 7-ish months to progress before starting the cycle all over again.

I could find a few gyms along my travels but, for a good body and soul balance, I have opted not to so far. (Seriously considering doing a simple machine routine next year)

Cheers, h.
  • erinlane93
    erinlane93 Posts: 170 Member
    I noticed a huge difference, lost all definition, my arms and legs went soft, felt weaker and overall looked bigger x
  • leonard41704
    leonard41704 Posts: 33 Member
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    I lost a lot of strength, gained a lot of weight and everything hurt all the time.

I was a little different. I quit stopped working out before Christmas. I lost a lot of strength, lost a solid 10lbs, and just stayed at the same weight for several months . I actually felt so much better. Aches and pains honestly went away. My body felt more functional, in the way that my muscles weren’t tight all the time. I started feeling like a strongman or bodybuilder who has to use effort just to reach across and touch my shoulders, lol. I started my diet right after the 4th and have lost 30lbs. I feel even better than I did when I stopped working out. Today was the first day that I started lifting again. But my goal now, is to just maintain muscle mass and keep losing BF.

• :) I think imo, that is why we call it a lifestyle. I sometimes even lift just my daughter for a few reps. I squat with her in my arms, she loves it, bonding, double whammy. And I plank next to my bed, until my SO is done brushing teeth before we go to bed. It's just these simple things that add up. I believe in no excuses. Hehe. I am an extremely motivated person in general, quite a few of my friends have encouraged me to become a trainer, but I just can't deal with the 'I cannot' mindset. If you're not 'able' to lift 10lbs, then lift 5lbs, if that's too much do the movements with no weight at all. Example, do flys, with no weight, just contract the muscle, I know it sounds silly but it works :)
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    My body looked softer/bigger even for the same weight, I felt flabbier. I developed recurring issues with my SI joints because I let my core strength go.

I have regrets!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    The longest I've taken a lifting break is 3 weeks - I can see some softening in that short time, my arms don't look as defined and my midriff gets fluffy. I know its good for me (for my bones and for aging) so I lift at least 2 days a week, I don't enjoy it but I always feel stronger after a session. Even on holidays I still aim to squat/plank etc to keep some strength so I'm not back at square one.