What do you think about oats...?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    I add 8 grams of uncooked rolled oats to my smoothy every morning. It makes the texture creamier and helps make it more filling.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Oats are a great natural whole grain, grains are great for you :) Yay to plants! Ways to sweeten it would be by adding fruit and using soymilk or other plant milks. I find light vanilla oat milk to be very good for this! Or you can add a little maple syrup, honey, and agave nectar to add sweetness
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Thanks, I’ll look into this 👀 😊
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited September 2019
    I eat oats nearly every day. I only use honey if I make oat pancake, but if I do protein oats (proats) then no need. Also I like to add fruit (but don't know how you feel about fruit.... seeing as "sugar")

easy and delicious proats:

oats
    cinnamon
    seed of some sort such as pepitas, chia, sunflower, flax, or a combo of all of the above
    almond milk (or whatever other milk you like)

cook it

in the bowl - not in the pan - put a scoop of you preferred protein powder (I use vegan one because whey = fart factory for me)

after the oats are cooked you pour it over the powder and stir

top with fresh or frozen berries, or apples, or whatever other fruit, or no fruit if you are fruit-sugar-phobic.

Deeeelicious.

Quantities vary depending on how many calories you have to play with. My "i'm in a deficit" total calories for above breakfast is in the 350 cals mark. If i'm not in a deficit, it can go as high as 500 just by adding extra oats/fruit/seeds.

EDIT - if you like go look at my open diary - i ate that this morning. And yesterday I had oat pancake but that had honey on it.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thank you - I love cinnamon too and will definitely try the fruit. Do you think that dried dates are too much?

While oats, dates, and cinnamon sound yummy, that would be way too high carb / low protein for me.

Others mentioned adding Greek yogurt or protein powder - this will boost protein. (However I've tried it, and found too much PP compromised taste.)

You can get flavourless PP. The protein powder I use is very mildly flavoured, I don't like the ones that are super sweet, so I find that one scoop is fine in terms of the taste. But I have used powders which are too sweet and that made the oats gross.

I also sometimes swap out PP for powdered peanut butter (PB2)
  • anichkata1
    anichkata1 Posts: 4 Member
    I’m wondering if I should incorporate wholegrain oats into my meal plan - they seem to be quite high in kilojoules... As I’m trying to be sugar-free too, any ideas for options to sweeten, other than honey?

Hi :) I would suggest stevia-least caloric from all sweeteners :)
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    ellen4488 wrote: »
    I add in vanilla whey protein powder. That sweetens it right up. I only have 1/4 cup oats, scoop protein, tablespoon of coconut, hemp seed, chia seed and add 1 cup almond milk and water. yum!
    I recently discovered adding vanilla protein powder to my oats! Really worth it as it definitely fills me up more.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    anichkata1 wrote: »
    I’m wondering if I should incorporate wholegrain oats into my meal plan - they seem to be quite high in kilojoules... As I’m trying to be sugar-free too, any ideas for options to sweeten, other than honey?

Hi :) I would suggest stevia-least caloric from all sweeteners :)

If you can get over the bitter taste of it. No thanks.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    I know I enjoyed sowing my wild ones.... ;)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I know I enjoyed sowing my wild ones.... ;)

haha sex haha :neutral:

• SuperMotivated56
    Wild oats - too funny 😁
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    My morning porridge is half steel-cut oats and half whole buckwheat groats. I add cinnamon and sweeten with fresh or dried fruit. Really enjoy dried Montmorency tart cherries.
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2019
    Back when I ate grains I ate oats a few times a week, usually mixed with fruit and sunflower seeds. It was ok, they don't really have any flavoring on their own, which gives you flexibility in how to prepare them (sweet or savory etc).
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I initially thought the title said "what do you think about cats?" and came in READY.

I like oats, I usually like the traditional rolled oats with almond milk, cold. Just a minute or two soaking in the almond milk, with cinnamon or other flavorings. I don't like them cooked, too goopy.
  • I sprinkle mine with cinnamon. After you go without sugar for a while cinnamon tastes really sweet.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Just made oatmeal cookies. That counts!
  • SuperMotivated56
    I’ve read so many great suggestions! I’ve tried many options - the dates tend to actually be quite bland, my favourite for enough sweetness at the moment is raisins and cinnamon. 😋
    While I have found that the oats don’t truly fill me at the time of eating them, they certainly sustain me longer over the course of the day (if you can wait for this effect 😊). I’ve been using wholegrain oats..
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Thanks for the advice - the raisins sound like a good idea 💡 Does this breakfast that you described use up a lot of your kilojoules for the day? 💭

You have a calorie budget and macros which make up those calories: protein, fat and carbs.

How/if oats fit into YOUR daily goals is up to you. For example: oats made with water are not filling for me. But when I eat oats and use 2% milk (instead of water) I increase the protein value. Yes, it's more calories made that way but it's more filling (to me). Eggs are also a popular choice for breakfast.
  • SuperMotivated56
    Thank you for this comment. I’m doing much better at fitting it into my calorie budget, without stressing too much that I’ll go hungry later in the day. 💭
  • TommiesMom38
    TommiesMom38 Posts: 3 Member
    Oats have so much nutrients, the steel rolled ones are a pain to cook but as long as your calories allow why not!