38 grams of fiber?

Yesterday was the first time I hit that number. I had to eat chia pudding, whole grain pasta, brown rice, and an apple. Normally I'm closer to 20, if I'm lucky. Other than eating a feedbag of oats every day, I'm kind of at a loss on how to actually hit that number. Fiber supplements are out because I looked at them and it seems ridiculous to take a pill for 3g of Fiber unless I'm having trouble maintaining my calorie deficit. Also, it would make me feel old.

So just dedicate more of my calories to high fiber stuff or are there other "tricks" I can use?

The main reasons I'm concerned about fiber is the overall benefits to cholesterol and blood sugar levels.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited September 2019
    I typically eat around 10 servings of veg, and am generally well over my fiber goal, but if you want the easiest way to ensure that fiber is high, make sure you include some beans or lentils in the diet daily. Other good sources are some fruits, such as avocados and certain berries, and then just getting in a range of veg, fruit, some nuts or seeds, and whole grains/pulses.
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Beans! I strive for 35g of fiber and noticed that the days I averaged 25g+ were the days I ate things like black bean soup, or veggie chili. On days I feel like I do need it, I will chug a glass of water with whole husk psyllium. I also use a protein powder that gas 8g of fiber in it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    what is your overall calorie goal? recommended fiber intake is 15g/1000cal - so if you are eating 1500cal then your goal should be like 23g - where did the you get the 38g goal?
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    MFP said 38g fiber and various other things said 35g for men.

I've got black beans and brown rice on the menu today. MFP says that's 22g fiber right there. Between oatmeal and chia for breakfast and broccoli and cauliflower with dinner, I'm going to be close. But everyday would drive me nuts. I have to alternate oatmeal for breakfast with eggs and 3 days of beans and rice would send me over the edge.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Don’t forget about vegetables and beans. I made a homemade navy bean soup yesterday (skinnytaste recipe) that had lots of fiber. Beets, broccoli, leafy greens & artichokes have good amounts of fiber.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    hmhill17 wrote: »

I've got black beans and brown rice on the menu today. MFP says that's 22g fiber right there. Between oatmeal and chia for breakfast and broccoli and cauliflower with dinner, I'm going to be close. But everyday would drive me nuts. I have to alternate oatmeal for breakfast with eggs and 3 days of beans and rice would send me over the edge.

So don't do everyday. Start with some days and then shoot for most days. I eat 40ish most days but I certainly don't stress about the days I am under. I do not subscribe to any plan that is inflexible. If I want a bunch of my calories to come from pizza on a day I do it and the fiber can fall where it may.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited September 2019
    I eat mostly plant based and hit this goal regularly with beans, whole grains, fruits, veggies, and chia seeds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    hmhill17 wrote: »

Rice and beans is my breakfast 6 days a week all winter long :)

I mash up recipes from different ethnicities. I started with Cuban rice & beans and by the end of last winter I was making a Lebanese dish with Ethiopian spices.

While I still have Thai basil in the garden, I'm experimenting with rice and lentils with Thai spices.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    There are lots of ways to get beans and lentils into your day, it doesn't always have to be rice & beans :smile:

Why not work yourself up incrementally? Start out aiming for 25g and once that becomes old hat, raise it a little more, until you get up where you want to be.

I try to get over 20g daily. It usually comes from fruit, rolled oats, beans, lentils, whole grain pasta, fiber cereal, Fiber One stuff, and veggies.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I seem to be very sensitive to fiber, so I keep mine between 21 and 25 and sometimes a go over, bur not by much. I put Benafiber (2 tsp) everyday in a bottle of water that I keep on my home office, and that doesn't show in the diary, but 38 grams of fiber will keep me in the loo for a week.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Don’t increase your fiber too fast. If you suddenly start eating lots more fiber, your bowels will not be happy.

If you do want to increase your fiber intake, do it gradually and give your digestive system time to adjust.