Over 50, help.

I'm slightly over 50 and the pounds are starting to creep up on me. What kind of snacks are working for you? I love chips, crackers and popcorn. Please help!
Much Love from SC

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    You can have pretty much anything, as long as you budget it in your calories.
    I have air popped popcorn almost every day.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited September 2019
    I typically have something like fruit or veggies for snacks. Sometimes crackers. Today was watermelon and kiwi.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    you can still have those snacks but you need to learn strict portion control. I personally stay away from them for the most part as I was an extreme binge eater in the past. I instead go for fruits and veggies now.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    As we know, labs create processed chips, crackers, popcorn, etc. —most being engineered to get us to eat more (i.e., Cheetos). Most food is fine in moderation. But, if you just can’t eat one...

Try nuts, lettuce, carrots, celery... for crunchy snacks. Hummus maybe for added flavor?

Foods high in protein can be low in calories and more satiating too. I prep omelets for go-to snacks. I also like Greek yogurt and Pure Protein bars as snacks.

We have to move more too. Choosing training programs can help retain and build muscle/strength as well as improve cardiovascular fitness. Picking a sport/activity you like can help focus your training goals.

• John772016
    John772016 Posts: 111 Member
    edited September 2019
    rileyes wrote: »
    As we know, labs create processed chips, crackers, popcorn, etc. —most being engineered to get us to eat more (i.e., Cheetos). Most food is fine in moderation. But, if you just can’t eat one...

Try nuts, lettuce, carrots, celery... for crunchy snacks. Hummus maybe for added flavor?

Foods high in protein can be low in calories and more satiating too. I prep omelets for go-to snacks. I also like Greek yogurt and Pure Protein bars as snacks.

We have to move more too. Choosing training programs can help retain and build muscle/strength as well as improve cardiovascular fitness. Picking a sport/activity you like can help focus your training goals.

'Who' knows this?
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    Crackers, nuts, fruit depending on my calories for that day!
  • rileyes
    edited September 2019
    For those who think overly processed “junk food” like Cheetos is fine to indulge in over vegetables, nuts and fruit, why?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited September 2019
    For those who think overly processed “junk food” like Cheetos is fine to indulge in over vegetables, nuts and fruit, bye.

No one said that, not even me: The one who directly disagreed with the "vanishing calories" thing.

I don't think a few Cheetos now and then, within calorie goal, will kill a person.

Clearly, overall good nutrition is important, which does mean veggies, nuts and fruits (and more). Feeling one must eliminate all calorie-dense but less nutrition-dense food seems extreme to urge as a principle that everyone must follow.

Can't remember the last time I ate a Cheeto (months to years ago, though). I never mentioned Cheetos. Neither did OP.

Oh, and: Pure Protein Bars are a highly processed food. The ingredients (in the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor) are:

CHOCOLATE FLAVORED COATING (MALTITOL, FRACTIONATED PALM KERNEL OIL, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, COCOA [PROCESSED WITH ALKALI], CALCIUM CARBONATE, NATURAL FLAVORS, SOY LECITHIN, SUCRALOSE), HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN, PEANUT FLOUR, PROTEIN BLEND (MILK PROTEIN ISOLATE, WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE), GLYCERIN, MALTITOL SYRUP, SOY CRISPS (SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, TAPIOCA STARCH, SALT), WATER, PEANUTS, PEANUT OIL, SUCROSE, SALT, NATURAL FLAVORS, SUCRALOSE, ALMOND BUTTER, SOY LECITHIN.

Pretty sure labs created that. Doesn't mean a person shouldn't eat it, IMO.

Bye, and best wishes!

ETA: I did not edit what I quoted. The post I quoted was edited after I quoted it, so it's different now. :lol:
  • rileyes
    edited September 2019
    I agree. Moderation is key (as I said in my previous post). Pure Protein (20g) bars and prepped ready-to-go food like omelets are an easy way to help me get my protein up. The bars are more convenient than omelets when traveling. Chips with added flavors just make me crave more of the flavor. Vegetables or nuts are a better and healthier choice to chips.

Edit to add: Protein bars and Trader Joe’s “Just a handful of [almond] nuts” go with me when I travel to uncertain destinations.
  • rileyes
    Yeah. I thought the “bye” would just generate “disagrees” without elaboration.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    gfwcjulie wrote: »
    I'm slightly over 50 and the pounds are starting to creep up on me. What kind of snacks are working for you? I love chips, crackers and popcorn. Please help!
    Much Love from SC

You can truly have what you want, just in moderation. If it fits in your calories for the day, have it. :) I highly recommend buying a digital food scale to make sure you are getting an accurate serving size.

No where near chips or popcorn, but I often grab a cup of coffee when I feel the munchies hitting. I have a Keurig and I love flavored coffees. I use one packet of generic splenda and Sugar Free Italian Sweet Cream Creamer. 32 calories and it often hits the spot and takes away the craving to snack for a while.

Jell-O Sugar Free Pudding in the refrigerated section... only 60 calories with a half Tablespoon of Natural Creamy PB mixed in... 45 calories for a total of 105 calories.

Pumpkin & Chocolate Chip Muffins Just 3 ingredients... 1 box of Spice Cake Mix, 1 Can of Pure Pumpkin and 60 grams of mini semi sweet choc chips. ~ approx 175 calories a muffin - these ARE NOT healthy in any shape or form.. but compared to what you will buy in the store, this is a better option. They are very moist, sweet and hit the spot... especially with a cup of coffee

Dannon Fit & Light Yogurt (love the new Pumpkin Pie flavor that is out, also the Apple Pie, Banana, Toasted Coconut and Blueberry are all good) Only 80 calories with 12 grams of protein and just 7 grams of sugar. I add 5 grams of Kind Peanut Butter Yogurt to add a little crunch... that is an additional 20 calories... so total is 100 calories

Dannon Okios Zero Yogurt has 110 to 120 calories and has 15 grams of protein with 6 grams of sugar and 6 grams of Fiber. Great choice!!

Breyers Delights - Chocolate Mini Pint, 1 mini pint 5 grams of protein and 6 grams of sugar ~ only 70 calories

Thomas Multigrain Light English Muffin at 8 grams of Fiber and 5 protein... these are just 100 calories. I slice these into, toast and top with half a Tablespoon of Natural Peanut Butter for an additional 45 calories. Total 145 calories for a filling and healthy quick snack. I often have this as part of my breakfast actually. I also will use Laughing Cow Cream Cheese to top the toasted English Muffin with from time to time too... they are just 30 calories for one wedge.

Orville Redenbacher's - Smart Pop 100 Calorie Kettle Corn Popcorn... it's a smaller bag (about half the size of your standard microwavable bag... but plenty to be satisfying and filling. Just 100 calories

Hoping some of these help. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    For those who think overly processed “junk food” like Cheetos is fine to indulge in over vegetables, nuts and fruit, why?
    Over?
    Don't think there's a rule you can't enjoy fruit and Cheetos at different times?
    I think it's fine to indulge in what you describe as "junk food" but as well as veg, nuts and fruit.

Eating that fun food or treats (which has all been passed as safe for human consumption remember) doesn't detract from all the other food I've eaten. It may only add a little nutrition but not seeing how it would cancel anything out?
    Curious - would you also extend this thinking to alcoholic drinks?

I've got plenty of calories to play with and it's no problem to hit my nutritional goals AND include some food just eaten purely for taste and enjoyment.
    Think it was Alan Aragon who suggested a 80:10:10 rule and I may paraphrase as it's been a while since I read it.....
    80% good nutritious food you enjoy, 10% highly nutritious food you may not actually actively enjoy but you can tolerate and know it does you good, 10% pure junky enjoyment.

Enjoying your food shouldn't be overlooked as a powerful aid to long term adherence.

• rileyes
    edited September 2019
    I agree @sijomial. Moderation is key. I guess I need to hone my communication skills. 80:10:10 seems to be moderation. Though I strive for the highly nutritious.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I agree @sijomial. Moderation is key. I guess I need to hone my communication skills. 80:10:10 seems to be moderation. Though I strive for the highly nutritious.

I do appreciate for people losing weight or for other reasons having a small calorie allowance the balance of good long term nutrition appropriate to their needs and fitting in treats is far harder. Very important IMHO to focus on the big picture of a person's entire diet and not agonise over component parts too much.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    i have a food scale out on the counter. when i want chips - or anything else - i put a plate on the scale, tare it and weigh. i usually have half to 1 serving of chips at a time. same with ice cream and everything else.

btw, i love double chocolate chunk quest bars. i like some other flavors, but that's my fave. it's handy because it has 20 grams of protein, 180 calories total, and i don't have to measure it.
  • mpapa1856
    mpapa1856 Posts: 21 Member
    I also highly recommend purchasing and using a food scale and then logging with MFP app using weight in grams or ounces. I don’t limit anything as off limits. Just log everything including all drinks and then aim for daily macros: 20% protein, 30% fat and 50% carbohydrates. For a healthy snack, I freeze about 150 grams of seedless grapes in zip lock bags. Mostly, I try to not snack after 8pm, which helps me to limit snacking and encourages starting my day with a decent breakfast. If you freeze 1/2 (sugar free) Jello made with water or fruit juice and 1/2 (diet) soda pop in ice cube tray it makes a tasty low calorie snack. Greek yogurt is good with berries for a low fat snack.