I think I started my goal calories too low

Hello, I’m giving MFP another try and it’s been over a week now and I lust a few pounds. I’ve really been watching it and staying just under my caloric range but after some research I think I started my goals off by cutting too many calories. I put my info into a daily calorie calculator to see where I should be to maintain my current weight, 179, so that I could determine where I should be. According to the calculator my daily goal is 2884. Then I did research on what number to reduce my calories to get started should be and my research says cut daily calories by 400-500 to start so my goal would be 2384-2484 to start.

I already feel confused and thought I had my meal planning pretty solid.. but to think of how to get more healthy calories down each day (my current goal is 1354 on MFP) so that I don’t crash and burn later is baffling me!!! Any suggestions is so appreciated!

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    There’s a lot of difference between 1354 and 2384. Sounds like you may have cut calories too much.
    Are you male or female. What is your goal weight, height, age? What is your activity level? (Do you have an active job? Stay home with a baby or toddler?) Do you exercise?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Be careful comparing an external calculator which wraps up your exercise into a daily goal and MyFitnessPal which gives you a daily goal to which you are expected to add exercise on the day you do it.
    (The first multiplies your BMR by daily activity and exercise, the second multiplies your BMR by daily activity ONLY.)

If you set Myfitnesspal to "maintain current weight" what number does it give you as you non-exercise day target?
  • Myfitcole
    Myfitcole Posts: 4 Member
    I am female. My goal weight is 165 and I have an active activity level . I work full time and work out by varying activities of running intervals, cardio, and strength training 3-4days per week.
  • Myfitcole
    @sijomial
    Do I need premium to see this difference?
    From what I plugged in I didn’t see it distinguish between the two but it calculated me with my current weight and goals and activity level at 1384 A day with active activity ( on MFP)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Myfitcole wrote: »
    I am female. My goal weight is 165 and I have an active activity level . I work full time and work out by varying activities of running intervals, cardio, and strength training 3-4days per week.

When you say "active," what are you including? The exercise? Or do you also have an active job?

Did you tell MFP you wanted to lose 2 lb/week? If so, it deducted 1000, and thinks your maintenance is 2384. MFP expects that activity level means activity without planned exercise (what did you put for that? active?), and that you will then log back and get more calories for planned exercise.

How tall are you and what do you weigh? 2800+ seems like quite a high maintenance level for a woman, unless you do have an active job.
  • sijomial
    @sijomial
    From what I plugged in I didn’t see it distinguish between the two but it calculated me with my current weight and goals and activity level at 1384 A day with active activity ( on MFP)

I think Premium may allow you to use a TDEE option but as I don't use it I don't know that.

Have a look at the activity setting here - there is no mention of exercise at all, purposeful exercise doesn't appear as it's irrelevnt to that setting.
    Then look at a TDEE site (such as sailrabbit) and you will see the descriptions are both daily activity AND exercise.

Are you saying you are getting 1384 + exercise calories as your goal when you pick no rate of weight loss? (a.k.a "maintain current weight"). Seems too low to me.
  • sijomial
    edited September 2019

Struck out everything that is irrelevant to selecting your activity setting on here.
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2019
    @sijomial

You don't need premium. You need to go in and reset your goal but tell it you want to maintain weight. Then you can cut however many calories off the number you want and input that as your goal.
  • Myfitcole
    @lemurcat2
    Thanks!
    Yes I just read an article from MFP blog that suggested doing just that.. I just did this and based on my current weight of 179 for weight maintenance it’s now 2330. I’m shaving 400 to start and taking it from there (also suggested by the article) so 1930 on days with activity I guess? I am saying this because I added my activity in the calculation.

Be kind everyone I’m really trying to figure this out!! 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    @lemurcat2
    Thanks!
    Yes I just read an article from MFP blog that suggested doing just that.. I just did this and based on my current weight of 179 for weight maintenance it’s now 2330. I’m shaving 400 to start and taking it from there (also suggested by the article) so 1930 on days with activity I guess? I am saying this because I added my activity in the calculation.

That is a starting place. In about 6 weeks you will have enough data of your own to use your numbers instead of online estimates. At that time you can review your progress and adjust your calories up or down to meet your expectations. A 400 calorie daily deficit would result in a loss of about .8 pounds per week.

• lemurcat2
    @lemurcat2
    Thanks!

Sounds like a good plan!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I use the TDEE method for this precise reason - not having to worry about eating back calories and all sorts of things.

I just use a calculator online, plus in the details and transfer back to MFP and log all exercise as 1 calorie burnt.