My Aria

Is anyone’s Aria not working proplerly? I’ve been loosing weight but it’s telling me I have 11.5% body fat. Down from 26% in 3 months. I don’t believe it. I’ve haven’t been working out. Just watching my calories. Weight dropped from 135 to 128 in the same amount of time.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Scales in general are notorious for being really off ref BF%
    Well done on your weight loss :smile:
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    lol...quality problem, that. I use a old fashioned caliper called Accu-Measure. I bought it on the internet.

(I've two regular scales that never agree and take turns being too heavy.)
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Im annoyed with my Aria scale, for a small change in weight the Aria can dramatically change BF% by 1% for every lb. Surely that can't be right.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2019
    Surely that can't be right.

Exactly, it can't be, hence me saying previously no scales measure BF% any where near accurately so they are basically telling useless information...

• Pablosammy82
    Pablosammy82 Posts: 22 Member
    The Aria body fat measurements are only useful for trending. If you use them at the same point of the day every time they can be quite consistent, but hydration or using when damp post-shower etc can throw your conductivity way out. I use them every morning as soon as I get out of bed, and I get nice consistent trends.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,748 Member
    well I thought I replied yesterday to this but BF measurements are such trash and as said previously USUALLY they are good for seeing trends but the #s could be way off.

I bought a little handheld device from Omron in 2011 or 12 after they used one at work and I thought it was cool. I had no idea how accurate or not they are. But I have used it over the years to see trends when I am losing and I think it shows improvements when I feel like I am less fluffy so there is that. Your Aria tho??!!! Maybe it got wet, ;)

Funny story about my Omron tho is that I really just use it and don't pay a lot of attention to it. But I turned (the horror) 61 in August and one of the parameters you input is your age. Well I went to cycle it up to 61 and BOOM nope it went to 18. I was not fully awake so I did that 2 more times to make sure and nope. People of 60 I guess don't worry about BF%s? :s

So the other day just for grins I thought let me try it at different age settings because surely that can't be a HUGE factor in the calculations right?

WRONG

at 60 yo I am 17.4% BF
    at 18 yo I am 8.1% BF
    at 35 yo I am 12.0%

That's pretty crazy....

And are any of the #s accurate? Well who knows. Let us know if the Aria gets smarter soon.

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    I have an Aria2 the BF measurement is less than useless, it's only use (beyond my old £25 digital scales that it replaced) is that it can send my weight directly to the app. So glad I didn't pay full price for it.
  • pjwrt
    edited September 2019
    well I thought I replied yesterday to this but BF measurements are such trash and as said previously USUALLY they are good for seeing trends but the #s could be way off.

I bought a little handheld device from Omron in 2011 or 12 after they used one at work and I thought it was cool. I had no idea how accurate or not they are. But I have used it over the years to see trends when I am losing and I think it shows improvements when I feel like I am less fluffy so there is that. Your Aria tho??!!! Maybe it got wet, ;)

Funny story about my Omron tho is that I really just use it and don't pay a lot of attention to it. But I turned (the horror) 61 in August and one of the parameters you input is your age. Well I went to cycle it up to 61 and BOOM nope it went to 18. I was not fully awake so I did that 2 more times to make sure and nope. People of 60 I guess don't worry about BF%s? :s

So the other day just for grins I thought let me try it at different age settings because surely that can't be a HUGE factor in the calculations right?

WRONG

at 60 yo I am 17.4% BF
    at 18 yo I am 8.1% BF
    at 35 yo I am 12.0%

That's pretty crazy....

And are any of the #s accurate? Well who knows. Let us know if the Aria gets smarter soon.

I looked on the Accu-Measure paper chart for men and it has the same odd array for the 4-6 measurement:
    I'm 5 on the measurement tool at 62yo, 5'10'', 160-165, waist 31

There's gotta be a reason.

Their numbers:
    18yo=3.9 bf%
    35yo=7.1 bf%
    60yo=12.4 bf%
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,748 Member
    It’s probably because as we age we tend to have more fat vs muscle? So perhaps they build in the age factor.

Oh darn. My first disagree mark on this thread. 🙄.
  • pjwrt
    It’s probably because as we age we tend to have more fat vs muscle? So perhaps they build in the age factor.....

No? Some skin may loosen, but billions of seniors are in their 18yo body fat range (3.9%), yet they say it is 12.4%

I bet it's a marketing ploy or like the famous "calorie", it's a best guess number.