Different opinions needed (caloric intake)

Options
Hi all! I'm 6' 2" 185. I'm what appears to be "skinny fat". I currently eat between 1800 - 1900 calories 40/30/30. I road bike between 18-30 miles per day average ride speed 17mph daily with rides averaging 19mph. Do you think my caloric intake is where I need to be? My goal (like many) to burn excess chub around the midsection.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    When it comes to these type issues always trust @mmapags.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    set your goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week. eat those cals plus most of what you burn from your rides
  • Harristexas1969
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    You are focused on your intake but you should be focused on your workouts. Progressive resistance training will accomplish reshaping your body. You don't need to cut at your height and weight. The biking is great for endurance fitness but won't really fix skinny fat.

I will be adding resistance and strength training starting Monday. I have done little in the way of weights over the last year. So for workout days I will set MFP to maintenance calories and see how that goes. I want to stay lean for bike performance but yet add little more muscle as well.
    Thank you for your opinion!
  • Harristexas1969
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    You are focused on your intake but you should be focused on your workouts. Progressive resistance training will accomplish reshaping your body. You don't need to cut at your height and weight. The biking is great for endurance fitness but won't really fix skinny fat.

I will be adding resistance and strength training starting Monday. I have done little in the way of weights over the last year. So for workout days I will set MFP to maintenance calories and see how that goes. I want to stay lean for bike performance but yet add little more muscle as well.

This is why your body composition is not what you want it to be... the best time to start lifting is yesterday

and you will stay lean lifting if you are eating maintenance or in a deficit, you will not add much muscle, but rather retain what you already have, meaning lower BF% at the same weight if you would have lifted all along. just ensure you also get adequate protein.

My protein is between 180-200g per day. I did this to keep muscle loss to a minimum. Thanks a bunch!
  • Harristexas1969
    Options

This is why your body composition is not what you want it to be... the best time to start lifting is yesterday

and you will stay lean lifting if you are eating maintenance or in a deficit, you will not add much muscle, but rather retain what you already have, meaning lower BF% at the same weight if you would have lifted all along. just ensure you also get adequate protein.

My protein is between 180-200g per day. I did this to keep muscle loss to a minimum. Thanks a bunch!

That is def more than enough. even 150 should suffice

Cheaper too
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm 6' 2" 185. I'm what appears to be "skinny fat". I currently eat between 1800 - 1900 calories 40/30/30. I road bike between 18-30 miles per day average ride speed 17mph daily with rides averaging 19mph. Do you think my caloric intake is where I need to be? My goal (like many) to burn excess chub around the midsection.

Is your caloric intake where it needs to be to do what?

Lose weight? Yes. Heck, you could probably eat a fair bit more and still lose.
    To change body comp? It's probably fine, but that's as much about your workouts as it is diet, if not more so.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as skinny fat.