Proper nutrition for extensive exercise

2»

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    You are definitely eating too little. I am 45 years old, 5'3" and am losing weight on 1800 calories.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I'm 5 foot 6, weigh around 295lbs and 37 years old.

With that info, you're sedentary daily expenditure would be 2454 cal/day per this calculator I've found to be pretty accurate: https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=36&g=female&lbs=295&in=66&act=1.2&bf=&f=1

20 mins jogging = 312 cal
    20 minutes bending and stretching = 134 cal
    30-40 minutes shooting hoops = 350 cal
    30 minutes tension band exercise = 234 cal
    10 minutes yoga = 56 cal

Total Active Calories = 1086 cal

120 minutes at rest = 348 cal

Net Exercise Calories* = 738 cal

*calories estimates taken from https://coolconversion.com/calories-burned/Calorie-Calculator-|-_sitting-quietly_

Exercise alone pops that number up to 3192 so 1500 calories isn't even getting halfway to your daily expenditure. Even trying to lose the absolute max recommended lb/week of 1% of body weight, you'd still be looking at 1700 cal/day to support the exercise you're doing.

In my judgement this confirms what others have suggested that's it's less an issue with macro distribution and more a problem of eating enough calories to properly support your activity level.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, nothing is going to tell you more about this process than your own data. Start by eating more to account for your exercise calories, observe how you feel and what the net effect on the scale is for a few weeks and adjust accordingly.

As an aside, that seems like an extensive amount of time per day to dedicate to exercise (at least it would be for me). I'm not a fan of the transaction mindset of exercise = calories burned (despite my math above) in terms of a reason to be exercising. Some great advice I received earlier in my time here at MFP was to use diet to change one's weight, exercise for fitness, enjoyment, and/or aesthetics. In short, don't feel like you have to go all out at the gym to lose weight just because it's probably what's featured on the weight loss show you follow and largely what the industry tries to sell us on. A consistent caloric deficit is all that's required, how you get there is up to you.
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    I work from home, so I really enjoy the exercise as it breaks up my day. Plus I recently quit smoking (month ago) so the exercise keeps me busy so I dont crave a smoke.
    I'm grateful for the help. I have a hard time with the math and calculating what I need, so I just go with what I heard is adequate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I work from home, so I really enjoy the exercise as it breaks up my day. Plus I recently quit smoking (month ago) so the exercise keeps me busy so I dont crave a smoke.
    I'm grateful for the help. I have a hard time with the math and calculating what I need, so I just go with what I heard is adequate.

MFP will do the math for you :)

When you change your activity level to Active (for the steps) here https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided and log at least 50% of the other exercise in https://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/diary/ , how many calories do you get?
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    1880 plus 436 50% of exercise calories
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    1880 plus 436 50% of exercise calories

So my suggestion would be to stick to the above numbers and make sure you weigh your food. After you have three or so weeks you can reassess.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    I'm 5 foot 6, weigh around 295lbs and 37 years old.

You def need to eat more! For a few reasons one being to fuel your body for your activity but also you need "somewhere to go" when you drop a lot of weight.
    I was 212, 5.5 tall and eating 1500-1700 per day ( varied but averaged ) - working out 5-6 days per week and losing between 1.5 - 3 lbs per week depending on the week. I am now 165 at 1500-1600 per day. I rarely hit 14,000 steps either lol

Do not be afraid to up your calories. Unless you have a medical condition you should have NO problem losing with a bit more calories. Make sure you always weigh and log every morsel of food!!
    Before I started stregth / resistance I paid no mind to macros. Now I am looking at measurements more than the scale...I watch my macros a bit more. A lot of people like 45.30.25 - I like 40,40,20 :) I do not always meet this perfectly but most days I am insanely close!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Are you eating low carb because you want to? Some people find low carb more satisfying. But must people find that if they model their way of eating after what they like in smaller portions it’s easier to stay on plan. I personally would not last long on low carb. I find it easier to stick to my calorie goal if I am not overly restrictive. Letting myself have a cookie or small serving of ice cream makes me happier and more willing to keep my overall calories balanced.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2019
    The difference is that you are not in acts show. Just because someone has a certification or degree doesn’t mean everything they say is completely correct. Even the President says stuff that is wrong 🤣

Why not follow MFP recommendations? They worked great for me. I started at 5’7” 300 lbs, age 59 and list about 150. It took 2.5 years. My calories were 1700-2000. I had less steps than you.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If anything I would load more carbs opposed to low carb depending on what your current stats.