Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• raindogmaa
    raindogmaa Posts: 205 Member
    @happygirlxxx Thank you for your words of encouragement. I know that long plateaus are the hardest... and I'm trying my best not to give in to temptation. I am now barely under 190 and I intend never to see that number again! I realize from my weigh-in report... I have been hovering around 184-190 since January. It's September! I think I will delete the top part of the "list" and concentrate on the NOW. I am so sorry you have the job issue going on. I am proud of you for not stress eating your way through it. I know you will find a good job in Chicago! It will be an even better job and you will look back and say that things happen for a reason!!!

@mnwalkingqueen So sorry to hear about your Dad. That must have been a blow... so glad you are making the decision to really focus on this self improvement path you've chosen. Well done. You are an inspiration! I also have had to learn to cook for myself. I joined one of those vegetable/fruit farm to table services to get my veggies. If I go 2 weeks and have veggies left over in the fridge.... I know I need to eat more veggies! I purchased a little George Foreman Grill which is perfect for grilling a salmon burger or a chicken breast. Makes life a little easier.

@skinnyjeanzbound Girrrlll! You have the concert coming up! That should be terrific motivation for you. I get it with your night of ice cream. Sometimes we get amnesia at night when faced with those foods we love.... that don't love us! That martini sounds amazing! Let us know how it tastes. We can live vicariously through you!

@MelodiousMermaid Welcome to the thread. I love your user-name! The best advice I can give you is... baby steps. Whether you decide to increase the water you drink, log your food, get more exercise.... tackle one of these things at a time.

@KATRENAJ How did your colonoscopy go? I hope all is well. I hate those things... especially the prep the day before. Ugh! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY by the way.

AFM: Okay... so I need advice. I do really well all day long.... I log what I eat... I keep the carbs low... I drink water...yada yada yada.... then the sun sets and I turn into a snack vampire! I don't know what it is... but I can't stop thinking about what I can eat and where I can get the eats or what can I concoct from my pantry! It's hell. Last night I went to dinner at a friends house. We had a very healthy meal of pork roast and south-beach roasted veggies. I get home.... and proceed to eat the left over chicken and onions... take a break and dip into the veggie stew left overs... then FINISH the veggie stew left overs. Now granted, it was not sugar stuff or starchy stuff... but I don't even think I was hungry. Am I crazy? Well, we will see if I turn into a vampire tonight because I have had a stellar day of eating right. So if you have any useful tips to battle the nighttime munchies... I would love to hear them.

Name: Cyndy
    Height: 5’3"
    Highest Weight: (Oct 15, 2004) 250
    Re-Start Weight (Sept 1, 2018): 221
    Goal Weight 140

Jun 5 184.8
    Jun 19 186.95
    Jun 29 186.36
    Jul 02 187.8
    Jul 16 188.7
    July 22 187.0
    July 23 187
    Aug 6 189 - Back from Colo celebrations
    Aug 12 - 188.8 .2 down... I'll take it.
    Aug 17 - 187.6
    Sept 3 - 190!!! Yikes
    Sept 10 - 189

Week (+/-) = -1
    Since Re-Start = 32
    Since First start = 61
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    edited September 2019
    @raindogmaa what I do when I have cravings I dissolve in a big mug half cube of Knorr bouillon in hot water and drink that ... the saltiness, flavor and the warm broth its enough to satisfy me.

I don’t like the bone / chicken / beef broth they sell in the supermarkets and I could not find the liquid bouillon from Knorr in the US so this is the best alternative I could get.

I guess you can make broth from scratch with veggies and some meat ... but I am too lazy :wink:

Hope this is useful :smile:
  • HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    @mnwalkingqueen I'm so sorry about your dad :(

A good source of low sodium protein is nuts and seeds that are unsalted. I eat a lot of salad and unsalted sunflower seeds or walnuts on top replaces the crunch of croutons while helping me hit my protein goal. Plus they have the good fats. Also cooking from whole ingredients helps. There are so many herbs and spices to use instead of salt to season meat or veggies. My spice shelf is overflowing lol. I do have some premixed seasoning blends as well and many of them are no or low salt so the sodium is low. When I do buy something packaged, I look for brands with the best looking ingredient list because ones that use just a few recognizable ingredients tend to also be low sodium--when you get into products with lots of corn syrup and preservatives and such salt and sugar tends to be a major part of the flavor. Since I eat so much salad, i have the most experience right now with salad dressing labels--some of them are crazy!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    @karen- great job on work out. Enjoy the 🎥. I bet your even more excited with wristband here.
    @Happygirlxxx- sometimes that happens when hanging with friends. congrats on loosing some lbs. Good luck with job hunting.
    @raindogmaa- I am not sure if this will help you or not. But sometimes eating something small every 2 to 3 hours will fill you up more so you won’t want to have that snack attack. I get like that some days and then I try to grab the veggies and yogurt more but doesn’t always work. I haven’t heard of the farm to table veggie thing you were talking about. Sounds like a good plan though.
    @HazelMayes- thanks for ideas.

Thanks everyone for kind words on my dad.

AFM:
    My goal is non weight related. Work as much overtime as I can so can take dad to Smoky Mountains (he has always wanted to go). However, he doesn’t want to go until winter is over. I just hope his health stays good enough that he can go by then.
  • raindogmaa
    Thank you @mnwalkingqueen and @happygirlxxx for the great suggestions. I wrote a post yesterday but I may not have pushed POST REPLY. Anyway... wanted to report in that the first night of the "Battle of the Snack Attack" was not an easy battle... but I won. Whew! I got the munchies seriously... after I had dozed asleep watching TV but did not succumb. Since my stomach was used to all that volume of food at night... she was not happy and I had a terrible night sleep. Last night still had a little trouble sleeping but a successful win in the "Battle of the Snack Attack". That is my current baby step to conquer.... what's your current challenge on this journey of our?
  • lpomeroylaw
    lpomeroylaw Posts: 5 Member
    Hello! My name is Lisa. I’m 48, female, weight 295. Goal weight is 185. I’ve been on many weight loss journeys before. I’m a sugar and carb addict and binge eater. I’m tired of feeling horrible physically and mentally. I’m tired of all the negative effects of my addiction. I asked myself would you ask anyone to carry around 100 extra pounds? To make them feel pain? No I would not. So why do it to myself? I’m a good person and deserve better, so here I am. My current plan is no grains or sugar added items, lean protein; no cheese or milk, no almond milk, fruit very limited, all food is whole form nothing processed (except plant based protein powder), no soy, no nut butters, and everything is weighed and measured. Exercise is a combo of yoga, walking, and swimming. I have several injuries that currently prevent jogging and some types of strength exercises. Right now I’m lifting gallon water jugs throughout the day to strengthen upper body before I move into heavier weight. I’m here for support and appreciate anyone willing to text or message me to subvert my binges. Really need help there and am willing to give the same back in return. Also need smoothie recipes without almond milk. What a challenge! Thank you all for being here. It means the world. My biggest fear is I won’t be able to do this.
  • lpomeroylaw
    Raindogmaa: thank you for posting about snack attack at night. Desire to binge hits me throughout the day but nighttime is by far the worst. My current strategies are what I call stop drop and roll, like the tv public service announcements Dick Van *kitten* did decades ago if you catch fire. I stop, and sometimes I do drop into a stretch or yoga position. I meditate, or better text a friend for help to get me through it. Friends who understand and don’t judge me are key. They text back and tell me all the reasons not to binge. If I use those tools I can beat a binge every time. But having the consciousness and desire to stop and drop is crucial.
  • whatsizbucket
    whatsizbucket Posts: 31 Member
    edited September 2019
    Truth... I am having a really hard time keeping things going. I am 270 pounds and would love to get back to my exercise weight (which is 145). I want to bike, run, and speedwalk. All without my shins hurting from impact. Tracking daily, and keeping track of my blood results from both leukemia (test every 3 Months) and diabetes type 2 (daily) on my glucometer. I am also insulin-dependent, and I am finding it really hard to stick to my diet. I just try to eat healthy.

Any ideas?
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    @ipomeroylaw welcome and good luck on your journey. I too am a binge eater, love my sugar and carbs. It's hard, I know, but you work it out. I'm 32 pounds into my loss. I've got a long way to go, but I'll get there. So will you.
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    @whatsizbucket try to stick with it. I took up jogging many (many) years ago and would like to get back to it. I'm a ways from that right now, but I'm getting there. It's slow, but the pounds will come off. Remember to track everything to monitor your intake. If you mess up one day, make it up over the next few days. i try to make sure I eat veggies.
  • raindogmaa
    @ipomeroylaw Thank you for the Stop, Drop and Roll idea! I truly love it! I had my final straw last year about this time. Lost a good friend to cancer and it really got me thinking about my health. I stopped drinking and did a version of Keto. I call it Keto-light. Where in Keto they say only have 30 grams of carbs... I let myself have 50-100.. but all complex carbs (fruit, nuts, etc.) NO SIMPLE CARBS. I just watched the metrics and was quite successful - lost 30 lbs. Now I am at a plateau which has tempted me back into dangerous eating habits and types of food. I feel I'm making progress... and now I know I will with your STOP DROP AND ROLL plan. Thank you!!!

@whatsizbucket I am here to offer my support to you. We are all here to encourage each other and cheer each other along the way. Baby steps, my friend. You got this!
  • whatsizbucket
    whatsizbucket Posts: 31 Member
    @dustyspal I will keep on working at it. I just have a hard time, I either go over my calories, or it's not enough calories. I enter in my dinner later, because I never know which of my parents are cooking. Then I fill it in when getting ready for dinner. That is the largest hitter on my blood sugar because it seems like I am starving myself waiting for dinner.
  • lpomeroylaw
    Thank you allot the support! We can do this, right everyone? I’ll report back. I’m only on day 4. One day at Time!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @whatsizbucket -- Welcome!! What is your current plan? Are you shooting for a daily calorie deficit? Trying to meet certain macro levels? Avoiding specific food types? If you share that info, I'm sure there are people in this group who can offer more specific advice. :) In general, I would say try to get enough water and keep within a certain calorie allowance.

@ipomeroylaw-- Welcome, Lisa! It sounds like you have a really specific plan in the works which is great! I too, struggle with too many carbs/sugars, and I find that trying to limit those types of foods early in the day helps me avoid the cravings. I've also suffered from some injuries that threw me off of my previous exercise regimens. For me, it was shoulder injuries that forced to completely stop lifting weights and for awhile even cardio was difficult because the jarring was too much for my torn labrium. I'm finally healed and back to almost 100% mobility in both shoulders, but they are still pretty weak and my physical therapist says I will always be prone to injury, so I have to take it very slow if I want to get back into lifting. Keep coming back to read posts and I guarantee this community will help you through the tough times.

@holly-- yes, the the wristbands inspired me to my 2nd gym visit this week yesterday! I'm super excited for this trip and concert!! I love your plan to take your dad on vacation. I'm fortunate that my parents are still healthy, but both are in their late 70s, and my sisters and I have tried to do more quality activities with them--especially with my mom. She loves musicals and the theater, so we've been taking her to shows since it's not really something my dad enjoys. I've been to 3 musicals with her in the past year and a half. :)

@HazelMayes --nuts are a great suggestion for protein!! I completely forgot about those!

@happygirlxxx -- Love the broth idea!! I sometimes get cravings for those instant ramen cups, but they are about 200 calories, so I have to plan for them. I may try the bouillon the next time I want ramen soup and see if that does the trick. Glad you have some job prospects--keep us posted!

@cyndy-- I'm glad you are winning the battle with evening snacking. I'm a night owl and tend to get snackier at night as well. After years of trying to avoid it, I gave up and just save a good chunk of calories for the evening. One trick I use to help tame potential binges is to look at my macros and eat whatever is low. So if I'm low on protein, I eat something like cottage cheese or if I haven't had enough fat, I eat some peanut butter, etc. That seems to help--though admittedly, not always--like when my frenemies Ben and Jerry visit. LOL!

AFM-- The Margaret Atwood event on Tuesday night was amazing. She's so brilliant and smart and funny! And her new book sounds incredible--I already got my boss to order me a copy for my classroom library, so I can read it first, of course. :wink: Dinner beforehand was also very good. They didn't have the strawberry basil martini on the drink menu, so I tried a passionfruit one instead. It was yummy, but a bit too sweet for my taste. I did my best to log my food, and came out only slightly over my allowance. Of course, it's possible I am off on my estimates, but there's no way for me to be certain, so I'm going to move on.

Yesterday, I had a really good gym visit. I ran on the treadmill for longer than I have in quite some time. My legs are a bit sore today, but in a good way. I used to run quite regularly and loved it, but I've struggled to get back into it. I'm hoping yesterday was a sign that I'm finally ready to fully commit to training for 5ks again.

The only real negative healthwise this week, is that I'm seriously lacking sleep. My dog is terrified of storms, and we've had quite a few this week--even a tornado warning yesterday. Anyways, Gunner has woken me up a couple of nights this week, and it's left me physically spent. I'm really looking forward to catching up on some much needed Zzzz's this weekend.

Name: Karen
    Height: 5’7"
    Highest Weight: 247
    Current Weight: 196 (7/6/19)

7/6/19 = 196
    7/13/19 =196
    7/20/19 = 194
    7/27/19 = 194
    8/3/19 = 195
    8/10/19 = 195
    8/17/19 = 195
    8/24/19 = 195
    8/31/19 = 194
    9/7/19 = 196

Exercise Challenge Goal:
    Gym visit or run outside 3 times/week
    9/1-9/7 = 2/3
    9/8-9/14 = 2/3
    9/15=9/21 = x/3
    9/22-9/28 = x/3

• sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    edited September 2019
    raindogmaa wrote: »
    Thank you @mnwalkingqueen and @happygirlxxx for the great suggestions. I wrote a post yesterday but I may not have pushed POST REPLY. Anyway... wanted to report in that the first night of the "Battle of the Snack Attack" was not an easy battle... but I won. Whew! I got the munchies seriously... after I had dozed asleep watching TV but did not succumb. Since my stomach was used to all that volume of food at night... she was not happy and I had a terrible night sleep. Last night still had a little trouble sleeping but a successful win in the "Battle of the Snack Attack". That is my current baby step to conquer.... what's your current challenge on this journey of our?

@raindogmaa I am not a night time snacker but there are occassions when I get hungry just before bed because it's been several hours since dinner. If I must snack, what satisfies me is 1 piece of toast with peanut butter.

My current challenge is exercise - I hate it and I live with exercise a-holics. It's just never been my thing. I do go for walks but not every day. I know - little steps at at time - but that is my challenge. At least this week I have been getting in some walks since my daughter stated up college (she has cerebral palsy and gets around with a scooter, so I am her ride to and from college). I work from home, so I take my computer and work in the college library while she is in classes. The walk to the library is the only exercise I get - but it's about a 10 minute fast walk each way - but still not enough exercise for the day.

@whatsizbucket - it's not easy. Ideas - more water, nuts to snack on (if allowed), this time of year here (ohio) we have lots of fresh veggies - lots of farmers markets - try something new, like a zucchini stir fry. I wish you well.

@lpomeroylaw - Lisa- welcome. I like a smoothie made with 1/2 banana, 4-5 strawberries, light & fit strawberry flavored yogurt (6oz) ice cubes and water. You can add nuts if you want more protein (I use a nutribullet, so the nuts chop up pretty good)

@happygirlxxx - I used to do the chicken broth also - I forgot about that. When I was much younger and smaller - the company I work for had free cup-of-soup packets (remember those?) and I would make that whenever I was hungry during the work day - kept my weight down. Not a bad idea - watch the sodium though.

@mnwalkingqueen - so sorry to hear about your dad - praying you make it to the mountains!

• raindogmaa
    QUOTE FROM @sweeetypie1 "@raindogmaa I am not a night time snacker but there are occassions when I get hungry just before bed because it's been several hours since dinner. If I must snack, what satisfies me is 1 piece of toast with peanut butter." YUMMY! I love that too much. I would not be able to stop at one. But I do LOVE it.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    edited September 2019
    Well, here I am still after more than a week. Those who mentioned slow and one thing at a time were right on -- that's the approach I'm taking this time, as any day (and hour/minute) can be a complete and total struggle.

My current commitments (and successes over the last week):

- Logged everything that I had for intake (other than prescription meds).
    - Pre-planned the upcoming week by early logging.
    - Have at least 60 oz. water per day.

Something I am trying to view as a success (logically, I know it is one, but the feels aren't there):

On Wednesday I went craving crazy. I believe it was hormonally triggered this time (with a side dose of extra-poor sleep due to terrible storms the night before). Went off the rails and got fast food for breakfast (drive thru and brought home), then that didn't even make a dent in the appetite, so started in on chips and dip. That was about to lead to ALL THE THINGS, and honestly might have if my husband wasn't home sick. I could tell he noticed I'd fallen off for the day, but was trying not to say anything about it. It was so incredibly hard to stop, but I did. I needed a small meal in order to take meds in the evening and had a little of the next day's lunch with a few crackers. Just enough to take the meds. Ended at barely over maintenance.

Thursday I felt like Wednesday morning again, but managed to keep it in check this time by leaving my purchasing methods at home when I took the kiddo to school. It was hard to stick to the plan, but since things were pre-programmed, I stuck with it. Still struggling against wave after wave of craving, but so far holding out. It's exhausting.

My goals for the upcoming week are:
    1) Have at least 74 grams of protein each day.
    2) Take the dogs for a walk at least 2 days, 20 minutes minimum each time.

ETA weight stats:
    Restarting weight: 252
    MFP restart weight: 242
    Goal weight: 140

9/14/19: 240.7
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @MelodiousMermaid -- Those are all great successes! Congrats on sticking with it and coming back here to be accountable to the group.

Saturday Success:
    I managed to get in my 3 workouts despite having quite a bit of grading this week. I also caught up on some sleep by napping after school Friday and sleeping for over 9 hours last night. I have terrible insomnia, so sleeping for more than 5 or 6 hours at a time is rare for me. I feel a lot better today after the extra Zzzzs. :smile:

Since so many people are discussing how they manage snack attacks and keeping to calorie goals, I started thinking about my favorite snacks when I'm low on calories. Watermelon is one of my favorites, but any kind of fruit comes in handy when I want something sweet. I also recently rediscovered fudgsicles--did you know they are only 40 calories each? They are useful if I want chocolate, but don't have enough calories for Halo Top. I also really like microwave popcorn--I keep the 100 calorie smartpop kettle corn on hand to satisfy salty and sweet cravings all at once.

Name: Karen
    Height: 5’7"
    Highest Weight: 247
    Current Weight: 196 (7/6/19)

7/6/19 = 196
    7/13/19 =196
    7/20/19 = 194
    7/27/19 = 194
    8/3/19 = 195
    8/10/19 = 195
    8/17/19 = 195
    8/24/19 = 195
    8/31/19 = 194
    9/7/19 = 196
    9/14/19 = 196

Exercise Challenge Goal:
    Gym visit or run outside 3 times/week
    9/1-9/7 = 2/3
    9/8-9/14 = 3/3
    9/15=9/21 = x/3
    9/22-9/28 = x/3
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Happy Saturday 🙂
    I have been celebrating birthdays all weekend. I did however do sit ups daily from Sunday- Thursday last week.
    Doctor told my day we have to take our trip Thanksgiving or before so visiting him and my mom tomorrow to try an plan it.
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    edited September 2019
    Hello everyone,
    g2w175oia9eo.jpg

Sorry I haven't been here much. You know how it gets when both home and work keep you busy. I have been prepping to do the 5K Heart walk, it was yesterday. I met my friends there and we had fun but I have a confession. During the walk there is a point where you make a decision to turn left to walk one mile or go straight to do the 5K. My friends and I were chatting and following the crowd when I noticed another group of people a few blocks away. We turned the wrong way. We all looked at each other and busted out laughing, because earlier I had made the joke that I wished Cheryl had brought her dog so we would only have to do the mile. They didn't want to try and get on the other course because it was already getting hot so we just did the mile. As we continue the course we get to the point where the 5K course joins back with the mile course and they have a sign that says 3 miles. We stopped and took a picture as if we did the longer course.

I was little disappointed I didn't do it but I am not going to beat myself up over not going through. It was accidental and I had fun with my friends which is the most important thing. I think I will find a 5K to sign up for that is not going to be as crowded as this was and have it be a run not a walk. I want to be able to run it. I want to find a running group so I can have that support and obligation that I have to go to. I have often said I don't need someone to run beside me I need someone to meet with so I don't cancel and not go running.

I went to the movies last night and saw Brittany Runs A Marathon. It was good. It touched on all the things I have felt and made me realize that everyone has issues, just mine show on the outside. I really reccommend it especially to those of us that are just starting to exercise. The character started with small goals, I am going to run one block and gradually grew from there. Running a marathon has always been on my bucket list but I have never done anything towards it. Honestly I have only run a 5K once and did a 10K Mud run twice but that was alot of walking not running. I would like to make the small goal of running a 5K. Then maybe increase my goals as I go along.