Sleeping habits change after weight loss?

So I used to sleep on my side, usually, a pillow between my arm and head. I'm not sure of the reason but sleeping started to be so unconfortable. After a short while I start to feel pressure in my shoulder and thus I have to change side. I never could sleep on my back or front. Over a year or so I lost over 70 lbs and gain a significant musclemass and feel like it can be connected. One of my friend who's pretty buff said he can only sleep on he's front. Anyone else has experience with this?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i used to only sleep on my side. i still fall asleep on my side, but i move and really sleep generally on my back now. (130 pound loss)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    When I was very overweight (and obese) I usually slept on my right side always - for like 15+ years. I'm not sure why. If I woke up on my left side I would be surprised.

Now I find that I sleep on my back, either side, and even on my stomach at times. This surprises me a little because I am still very busty and always assumed I couldn't sleep on my stomach because of my chest size (which of course is smaller but still not at all small). Like the lady above my loss is around 130 lb.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    It may be correlated to each other but I’m not sure I can sleep on my back,stomach and both sides even on the floor so I don’t know
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    The only thing I noticed different with my sleep was the amount. After I lost weight I didn't need as much. Instead of 9 hours, I was able to function properly on 8 hours. My sleeping position has not changed in about 50+ years. I still sleep on my stomach with a slight tilt to the left side.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    I don’t know where to put my shoulder and arm these days. I remember as an underweight kid, sleeping on my side with my arm under me. When I gained weight I had to stick my arm out so I wouldn’t crush it. Now I don’t know what to do with it, so it keeps me awake, and I wake up with stiff sore shoulders from the weird positions. I’m going to try a pregnancy pillow to see if I can find a better position.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    The only thing I noticed different with my sleep was the amount. After I lost weight I didn't need as much. Instead of 9 hours, I was able to function properly on 8 hours. My sleeping position has not changed in about 50+ years. I still sleep on my stomach with a slight tilt to the left side.

For me it's been sort of the opposite. I used to sleep 6 hours most nights for years. Since I started losing a lot in 2013, I've slept 8 hours minimum almost every night and still do. On weekends, I often sleep 9-10 hours.