Dads 50th birthday

rickigageby
rickigageby Posts: 149 Member
So my dad is turning 50 this year. He’s been through a lot and has done so much for me and my sisters. So my sister and I agreed to pitch in and buy him his dream car for his birthday. It’s a Chevy bel air. His dad use to have one. They worked in the coal mines together and one day a freak accident happened and his dad pushed everyone out and before he got a chance to get out the roof collapsed on him. And my dad had to watch and this is suppose to be extremely special.

BUT I’m having trouble finding one for sale. All are over 30k and 16+ hours away. Of course we want the best deal but close by. I live in Pennsylvania. If y’all know a dealership or anyone that has one for sale, please help me out! ❤️❤️

Replies

• pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    So my dad is turning 50 this year. He’s been through a lot and has done so much for me and my sisters. So my sister and I agreed to pitch in and buy him his dream car for his birthday. It’s a Chevy bel air. His dad use to have one. They worked in the coal mines together and one day a freak accident happened and his dad pushed everyone out and before he got a chance to get out the roof collapsed on him. And my dad had to watch and this is suppose to be extremely special.

BUT I’m having trouble finding one for sale. All are over 30k and 16+ hours away. Of course we want the best deal but close by. I live in Pennsylvania. If y’all know a dealership or anyone that has one for sale, please help me out! ❤️❤️

$30k is cheap. We owned on back in the day. Wouldn't get another. Send him to Hawaii for a winter break...
  • rickigageby

If you happen to find one on the internet there are dealers that will deliver the car to you, unfortunately you'll be buying sight unseen. However, there are people you can actually pay to look over the car for you (mechanically etc.) Just throwing this out there, good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for, and Happy Birthday to him.
    They deliver? Had no idea I’ve sent out some injuries but haven’t gotten anything back!
    pjwrt wrote: »

$30k is cheap. We owned on back in the day. Wouldn't get another. Send him to Hawaii for a winter break...

Lol 30k isn’t cheap when you just bought a new house!
  • rickigageby

We’ve sent him to the Bahamas several times and we’re sending him to the Bahamas in November. I want to do something extremely sentimental
  • rickigageby

If you happen to find one on the internet there are dealers that will deliver the car to you, unfortunately you'll be buying sight unseen. However, there are people you can actually pay to look over the car for you (mechanically etc.) Just throwing this out there, good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for, and Happy Birthday to him.
    They deliver? Had no idea I’ve sent out some injuries but haven’t gotten anything back!

Carvana delivers but I think it's only newer cars.

I think he/she meant 30k is cheap for a Bel Air

I know he was meaning 30k is cheap for that car but I mean I can find cheaper and It doesn’t have to be beautiful my dad can fix it up and all that and make it his own!
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    That’s my dream car too. A ‘57, specifically.

5h1nezl5a3kc.jpeg
  • rickigageby

5h1nezl5a3kc.jpeg

I’m pretty sure his is a ‘55
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member

5h1nezl5a3kc.jpeg

I’m pretty sure his is a ‘55

The ‘55 had much less point to the fins... but I could be wrong I suppose 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member

Carvana delivers but I think it's only newer cars.

I think he/she meant 30k is cheap for a Bel Air

I know he was meaning 30k is cheap for that car but I mean I can find cheaper and It doesn’t have to be beautiful my dad can fix it up and all that and make it his own!

Be very very cautious buying a "project car". Or if your dad likes fixing up vehicles, have an idea what his level of expertise is i.e. mechanical vs autobody, and what kind of tools he has available. Don't get him into something that is way over his head!

I've done hobby auto restoration for years and I'd choose to deal with mechanical issues over autobody every time, they're usually quicker and less costly. If you see visible rust on a vehicle, you can be sure it's only the tip of the iceberg and once you start taking it out you'll find more and more. The older the vehicle, the more difficult it is to find replacement parts (unless it is one of the popular collector models where you can find aftermarket) so you start looking at metal fabrication to make new ones, or acquiring additional vehicles to harvest parts. Replacing an engine or transmission is quicker and easier than replacing metal, doing bodywork, paint. Unless he happens to enjoy all that sanding and priming and resanding and touchups... it's tedious and exacting, but it can be kinda fun.

Just some things to consider.