Weight gain after walk

Every time I take l long walk with the dogs on the weekend (10 miles plus) and stick to my calorie budget, when I weigh the next day my weight is 0.5 - 1.0 lbs more than the previous day.

Admittedly the weight will drop back down a few days after but would love to know why this is, dose the body retain more water after a walk.

Anyone got any ideas on this

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Upticks in weight don't always make sense. But yeah it can be the walk. You can experience some mild inflammation by intermittent exercise. I am not sure your muscles would need to repair from a walk but that is possible too. Weekends usually mean different food for me. For me it vary often includes at least one restaurant meal which is higher sodium than what I have during the week.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

My upticks are generally not that mild and I tend to ignore anything a pound or less. I see it but considering that I take in 8ish pounds of food and liquid each day I am amazed at how efficiently my body processes and disposes of most/all of it so often in a 24 hour period.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited September 2019
    Weight can fluctuate daily even eating at a calorie deficit. For me, it can be anywhere from 2-5 pounds. Human nature to not question the losses, but the little gains concern many.
    Perhaps use a weight trending app to get a clearer picture over time. I’ve had a Fitbit for over 6 years and get at least 15k per day. Walking is my main form of exercise, and my dog is my walking buddy.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    I too bloat up a bit and weigh more the day after long walks, but only in the summer. It's usually good for a pound increase the next day, and dissipates in a day or two. Doesn't happen at all in cooler weather. I notice my ankles swell in summer heat, too, and shoes get tighter, and others have said the same to me. So perhaps we retain more water and bloat when it's hot. Or, it's random in the short term and we're all staring at tea leaves and the stars and trying to figure out what they mean LOL
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    It is water retention
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Make sure you are hydrated enough and don't overdo it on salty foods or foods high in sodium
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Yes! This is me too! I went for a 6.5km hike yesterday and was below my calories. This morning - up by 1kg. Admittedly, my right problematic ankle is being, well, problematic. This happens each time I go hiking, and it's all gone within a day or so. I know it's water retention, but it can be disheartening.