Flavors of Childhood?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Chicken a la king and shredded wheat snack mix. I miss that stuff where shredded wheat cereal was essentially tossed with butter and garlic powder and baked before mixing with pretzels and nuts.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited September 2019
    acpgee wrote: »
    Chicken a la king and shredded wheat snack mix. I miss that stuff where shredded wheat cereal was essentially tossed with butter and garlic powder and baked before mixing with pretzels and nuts.

Homemade "Chex Mix"! 😋

Friendly's Swiss Chocolate Almond Sundae

My mom was the best cook! She made so many delicious things. A few more: mini meatloaf, beef burgundy, lasagna, pasta primavera, baked apples; cakes, cupcakes, and cookies, all from scratch.
  • PKM0515
    ps5135ruupk7.jpg

Homemade Cherry Mash candy was the BEST Christmas candy!

Never had this, but it looks delish! 😋
  • fourtotwentychars
    fourtotwentychars Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2019
    Corned Beef Wellington - tin of corned beef, topped with Branston Pickle wrapped in pastry.

That sounds magnificent.
    Also something we called the ‘Fiendish Beandish’ - Tin of Baked Beans, cooked with onion, dry mustard, hard boiled eggs, dash of Worcestershire sauce and grated cheddar. This was a fast meal when we’d come home from a day out hiking.

So does that! If I wasn't already a fat knacker I'd have that for my tea.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Omg yes!
    MoxyLeigh wrote: »
    744d60f3fdac0ae6c926cc240c7246c9.jpg

• PKM0515
    MoxyLeigh wrote: »
    744d60f3fdac0ae6c926cc240c7246c9.jpg

Lol, yes!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I want the recipe for the hawaiian fried rice.

As for kid food--ice cream sandwiches as I remember them. But nowadays my tolerance for sweet is lower and they are too sweet for me.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    dhzonveidkpt.jpg
    4gj1w6jh9nn5.png
  • pancakerunner
    @Noreenmarie1234 YES to the dinosaur! (that'w what my brother and I called it growing up)

Mom: what do you want for breakfast
    Us: DINOSAUR!!!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    I've been thinking of a few, other threads have helped me remember.

Cheddar n' Bacon Easy Cheese on top of Ritz Crackers
    Ritz cracker cheese sandwiches (the baby ones)
    Squeeze It drinks
    Brown sugar poptarts with butter on top
    Lunchables pizza
    Butter pecan ice cream (which I honestly didn't care for, but we always had it)
    Fruit roll-ups
    Vienna hot dogs, fried to a crisp on the grill
    Those flat, square pizza slices you got at school. I loved those, idc.
    Also, the milk cartons you got at school, or the juice cartons where you stabbed a straw through the foil top

That's all I can remember right now.

This was like, regular stuff too, not treats. We ate a lot of fast food too. Chicken nuggets from burger king was definitely a common meal. Same with roast beef sandwiches from arbys.

I remember in school I loved the Stromboli that was served. I remember the crust being especially crispy. My sister's friend said she would flatten one down & put another one on top & get it for one.
  • pancakerunner
    03t8piajpj2h.jpg

I used to eat this with a spoon.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    My beloved mother, when it was really HOT outside would make what she called a "cold dinner" for us. I was ALWAYS thrilled when we had a "cold dinner"!

Coldcuts, shrimp cocktail, cheeses, pickles, green and black olives, various kinds of pickles, devilled eggs and fruit (usually grapes, watermelon, pinaeapple chunks, peach slices, strawberries). Even though we were children, she would have the table looking marvelous and always used colorful and cute toothpicks to have everything on, When I think about it...my mom was a wonderful person! We ate all of these with saltine crackers and washed it down with homemade sweet ice tea or kool-aid--looked kinda like this:

Shrimp cocktail w/homemade cocktail sauce
    Shrimp-Cocktail.jpg

cold cuts and cheese (but again Mommy used to make it look GOOD with pretty toothpicks)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmzXY5iOo93JJ6PCU19pNYy48KFMFl5JJAAQ1OVEULXzNR8YL2

Relish plate/platter
    Relish-Tray.ashx

Devilled eggs
    86635-03e38a75b76b0e216aee06f86f97a29ac3141559_642x428.jpg

Fruit plate/platter
    fd43ae09f8f3fb4a269a96628efe360a.jpg

This is what the old school tin can of saltine crackers used to look like when we ate with everything above

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMoHKI7WEYpR-4OXsvTedGq_PisX7rCCthuh9XBUs09zhNBfn1dA

That reminds me! My mom used to ALWAYS make me saltines sandwiches in my lunch or for snack. She would put cream cheese in between two saltines or cream cheese and jelly in between. I couldn't find a pic, but this was the closest I could find. boxstbyiikq4.png
  • Noreenmarie1234
    03t8piajpj2h.jpg

YES! I loved the classic malt. I can taste it now...
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited September 2019
    My beloved mother, when it was really HOT outside would make what she called a "cold dinner" for us. I was ALWAYS thrilled when we had a "cold dinner"!

Coldcuts, shrimp cocktail, cheeses, pickles, green and black olives, various kinds of pickles, devilled eggs and fruit (usually grapes, watermelon, pinaeapple chunks, peach slices, strawberries). Even though we were children, she would have the table looking marvelous and always used colorful and cute toothpicks to have everything on, When I think about it...my mom was a wonderful person! We ate all of these with saltine crackers and washed it down with homemade sweet ice tea or kool-aid--looked kinda like this:

Shrimp cocktail w/homemade cocktail sauce
    Shrimp-Cocktail.jpg

cold cuts and cheese (but again Mommy used to make it look GOOD with pretty toothpicks)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmzXY5iOo93JJ6PCU19pNYy48KFMFl5JJAAQ1OVEULXzNR8YL2

Relish plate/platter
    Relish-Tray.ashx

Devilled eggs
    86635-03e38a75b76b0e216aee06f86f97a29ac3141559_642x428.jpg

Fruit plate/platter
    fd43ae09f8f3fb4a269a96628efe360a.jpg

This is what the old school tin can of saltine crackers used to look like when we ate with everything above

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMoHKI7WEYpR-4OXsvTedGq_PisX7rCCthuh9XBUs09zhNBfn1dA

That reminds me! My mom used to ALWAYS make me saltines sandwiches in my lunch or for snack. She would put cream cheese in between two saltines or cream cheese and jelly in between. I couldn't find a pic, but this was the closest I could find. boxstbyiikq4.png

That looks soooooo YUMMY--Yep! We ate almost everything on saltine crackers--hardly ever eating bread, only on grilled cheese sandwiches (with tomato soup of course) or for sandwiches she would make/pack with totally LOVE for our lunches. Saltine crackers were definitely a staple in our house. We didn't eat that much peanut butter and jelly, but when we did...we ate it on saltine crackers instead of bread.

Someone mentioned Vienna Sausages--we ate a lot of those too (for lunch)...on saltine crackers with tabasco or hot sauce on them--here's what the package looked like when we used to eat them YEARS ago--also, we never cooked them, just ate them out the can with saltine crackers. This ad show corned beef hash too (my mother WOULD cook the corned beef hash though)--we ate A LOT of that for breakfast with eggs and buttered raisin toast and some kind of fruit and I loved it too:

libbys-vienna-sausage.jpg
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    03t8piajpj2h.jpg

I loved the malt flavor too. When I was a teenager and home sick by myself I would always have a huge glass of this (mixed into milk) with egg & buttered toast when I started to feel well enough to eat. Definitely comforting!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    03t8piajpj2h.jpg

I loved the malt flavor too. When I was a teenager and home sick by myself I would always have a huge glass of this (mixed into milk) with egg & buttered toast when I started to feel well enough to eat. Definitely comforting!

My brothers and sisters LOVED the malt flavor so much for ovaltine AND the Carnations Malted milk--not me, I didn't like the "malt" taste.
    they used to drink this a LOT:

3019183965_234fa57a37_z.jpg

They also used to buy "malts" at the ice cream palor--not me, I only like shakes--but I LOVED this:

3b76a421b6312eb4571d35761451a2d1.jpg

They also made this in strawberry flavor, which my siblings loved...but I didn't I only liked the chocolate flavored one.

Yes and yes, omgosh! I loooooved both when I was a kid! No wonder I love my plant protein shakes now 😋😋
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited September 2019
    Anything (our) Dad made. I was such an unappreciative certifiable brat. He would make gelato, chocolates, chippies, you name it ... He made them for us. I would love just one of those treats or dishes now.

Ditto, plus Mum's corned beef meatballs wrapped with spinach (baby leaves, treated, cooked, drained etc) fried.

Was born in India (only not ethnically of Indian-descent). Grew up in Oceania-Pacific, NZ, Australia, UK.

Favourite snack bites from our food vendor neighbours if playing with friends:

* Tamarind with oven-baked peas or chick peas
    * Bombay mix
    * Spiced baked peas in a mini-tub of vanilla ice cream (from the school tuck shop)
    * Sausage rolls
    * Meat pies
    * Roti parcels (chicken)
    * Good 'ole fish and chips (Boarding house student-resident favourite, from the short-end of the neighbouring town, every Friday)
    * Deep & wide container of microwaveable fried chicken from Marks & Spencer

Looking up the page, I miss Horlick's, Ovaltine and Milo, not that they're unavailable here, it's just that they don't quite taste the same.