Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Initially I forgot what this thread was about and was confused that this was the response to taleggio.

I love most cheeses. A favorite place because they have great cheese plates (and a great selection of cheeses which they will let you taste) is https://www.pastoralartisan.com/

I had forgotten they had a cheese club, and really must look into it.

I live in a very small community, so there aren't any really big grocery stores here - the one at the county seat is lucky to have a small deli!

But I was in Cincinnati last year in a huge Krogers that had all sorts of specialty items, including a cheese bar with types of cheeses I'd never heard of. The girl running the bar was happy to allow my sister and I to sample some of them - it was an unexpected but neat addition to our vacation, and I came home with all sorts of cheese for the family to eat :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Initially I forgot what this thread was about and was confused that this was the response to taleggio.

I love most cheeses. A favorite place because they have great cheese plates (and a great selection of cheeses which they will let you taste) is https://www.pastoralartisan.com/

I live in a very small community, so there aren't any really big grocery stores here - the one at the county seat is lucky to have a small deli!

But I was in Cincinnati last year in a huge Krogers that had all sorts of specialty items, including a cheese bar with types of cheeses I'd never heard of. The girl running the bar was happy to allow my sister and I to sample some of them - it was an unexpected but neat addition to our vacation, and I came home with all sorts of cheese for the family to eat :)

Was it a Kroger or did you go to Jungle Jim's?

Because you should have gone to Jungle Jim's. Lol
  • I like them but I could live without them.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Was it a Kroger or did you go to Jungle Jim's?

Because you should have gone to Jungle Jim's. Lol

just a Kroger - never heard of Jungle Jim's. I'm a country gal visiting the big city, so I stuck to the main routes and pretty well stayed in the area I was in :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    The third and last time I tried to eat broccoli in Sicily. The first time in a Sicilian spaghetti with broccoli, it was so overcooked that it was greyish, and when I complained to the waiter he sent the cook out to chew me out. (How dare a Chinese woman tell an Italian how to cook broccoli?) I ordered the same dish somewhere else few days later and broccoli was again overcooked to a mush. Started to see a pattern forming. The last time I ordered broccoli was in this mixed vegetable side. Broccoli doesn't look terrible here but it was the texture of mush.
    qkqsh64cld4u.jpeg

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    I HATE those Lofthouse sugar cookies. They look like they might be good, guilty pleasure type of sugary sweets...but they are VILE! :#

Why do I feel like people aren't responding here because they have not tried this horrible trick of a cookie?

I used to love those "vile" cookies..would eat the whole pack in one sitting. another reason I gained 100 lbs!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    The third and last time I tried to eat broccoli in Sicily. The first time in a Sicilian spaghetti with broccoli, it was so overcooked that it was greyish, and when I complained to the waiter he sent the cook out to chew me out. (How dare a Chinese woman tell an Italian how to cook broccoli?) I ordered the same dish somewhere else few days later and broccoli was again overcooked to a mush. Started to see a pattern forming. The last time I ordered broccoli was in this mixed vegetable side. Broccoli doesn't look terrible here but it was the texture of mush.
    qkqsh64cld4u.jpeg

Were you there in the winter when broccoli is in season or during the summer when they would have had to use frozen (mushier)? When in Italy it's a good idea to always eat the vegetables in season. As a side note: when I moved to Italy from Minnesota over 30 years ago my mother-in-law, who comes from Puglia, always overcooked vegetables. Green beans were never bright green, always army green. I wasn't used to it.
  • acpgee

Were you there in the winter when broccoli is in season or during the summer when they would have had to use frozen (mushier)? When in Italy it's a good idea to always eat the vegetables in season. As a side note: when I moved to Italy from Minnesota over 30 years ago my mother-in-law, who comes from Puglia, always overcooked vegetables. Green beans were never bright green, always army green. I wasn't used to it.

We were in Palermo in April. Does that mean that we would have been getting frozen broccoli?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

We were in Palermo in April. Does that mean that we would have been getting frozen broccoli?

Yes.
  • acpgee
    Thanks for the tip for only eating seasonal vegetables in Italy. It makes me realize how decadent I am, expecting year round fresh broccoli, imported. I will try the pasta with broccoli again if I am in southern Italy in late fall.

Having grown up on Chinese food, thoroughly cooked veg is a struggle for me. There are very few vegetables I can tolerate in an Indian restaurant, for example.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I love them as an option for my son with nut allergies, but I personally don't eat them. I'm a low-carber though (PCOS and insulin resistance).
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I would vomit if I tried to eat those ...just can't do icing.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I would vomit if I tried to eat those ...just can't do icing.

really?? for me it's the cookie that I can't tolerate.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited October 2019
    I haven't tried Lofthouse specifically, but they look the same as a local brand I have, and I tried them exactly once. To me, the cookie had no flavor, and the icing had that bitter edge that comes from too much food coloring. To each their own though... Personally, I eat my hotdogs with ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise and sweet relish, which I know is sacrilege to some. :D
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    I freaking love them. The soft sweetness 🤤

I have definitely killed a number of these cookies in my day.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    neldabg wrote: »
    I can and have literally eaten an entire box in one sitting lol. They're dangerous!

Yep. Me too. Lol

I HATE those Lofthouse sugar cookies. They look like they might be good, guilty pleasure type of sugary sweets...but they are VILE! :#

Why do I feel like people aren't responding here because they have not tried this horrible trick of a cookie?

I don't think I've ever seen that particular brand. But I'm suspicious of any product that thinks "soft" is a plus for a cookie. I imagine they're all cake-y and bend-y. No snap. No crunch. Blech.

Omg soft cookies are the best kind!! I hate when they snap like a cracker!