What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• soniasharma2
    soniasharma2 Posts: 15 Member
    Iron mile!
    1.2 mile w/ a 65lbs barbell across shoulders (400m uphill/400 downhill x 2)

I think it took me ~50 min, it was def a unique work out, my shoulders and legs are still feeling it. I recommend doing this next to a grassy area so you can drop the barbell safely into the grass
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    9/14/2019 - late afternoon.

4 mile easy loop run along West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz - 4.01 miles in 39:50.
  • slimdownt
    slimdownt Posts: 105 Member
    v7criryxmdbf.jpg
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    sprint, and 1km leisurely ocean swim
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Undulating 10k race today, followed by 3.8miles of trail on way home to make it up to the 10 miles I was supposed to be running in training.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    2.5 mile round trip moderately steep hike. I decided to do a “ruck” today and carried a fairly heavy pack (12% of my body weight). I was surprised at how much harder it was with a heavier pack! I’ll need to work on that.
  • WC1982
    WC1982 Posts: 137 Member
    Deadlifts, DB snatches, barbell Rows and pushups
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Lots of walking and yoga 🧘🏼‍♀️
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    edited September 2019
    My final hike of the holiday. We aimed for something slightly shorter, as I was driving back to London immediately afterwards.

We failed. I'm not sure how long it was, but definitely more than 12 miles. It had three decent hills. It was fun.

The reason it was longer than planned was one path was shut (only mountain bikes were allowed.) We tried to find an alternative route. We failed, and scrambled in bushes for around an hour, then decided to double back.
  • pierinifitness
    9/15/2019

#1 - at nearby high school mid-morning - single set max reps test pull-ups x 15.

#2 - late afternoon 4 mile easy loop run along West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz - 4.01 miles in 37:51 - walk 2-3 minutes - 0:30 fast run 1:00 slow run recovery for 4 rounds - 0.60 mile in 6:01 - mph pace for fast runs were 6:25, 6:27, 6:21 and 6:48.

A little more running next 2 weeks - will do a one-mile time trial with goal of 7:30 by first day of fall which is right around the corner. Wasn’t that many years ago I would have clocked 6:20.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I'm jealous of all the outdoor activity. We're going into the nice season, though, in Tucson. I hope to get out more soon. Not much hiking going on when it's 107.

Today was 90 minutes at the gym. Really nice job of keeping it in my target from 65% to 75% of max HR.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Rain out on Friday, rowed a quad (in bow) on Saturday for around the usual 7k-ish distance.
    aokoye wrote: »
    13ish km in stroke seat in a (mostly) novice 4. That included a 5k simulated race on the race course of our home regatta. It was my first time in stroke in a sweep boat for a very long time and yeah....I am very good at keeping the rate steady but I've forgotten how to quickly get up to said rate. I also started out rushy my which, yeah - I need to and can work on that. And I need to work on my ratio and and and. Though there were some reallllly good strokes where my ratio was amazing. Like, "remember how that felt so you can remember how to do that" amazing.

Probably old news to you, but two things that help me with ratio in stroke (other than continuously counting, lips moving even, every single time I sit stroke :lol: !): Thinking about letting the boat do the recovery (relax and let the boat glide under me), and (related concept) thinking in terms of the drive phase creating the stroke rating, i.e., more power on the drive means the boat is pried past the blade more quickly (shorter drive time), and the boat goes faster, so the faster boat makes the recovery automatically happen faster, thus those things fit more strokes into every minute. This isn't literally all true at race pace or up-rated pieces . . . but usually the adrenaline, at least in a real race, tends to take care of the necessary adjustment IME. ;)
    Oh also @AnnPT77 - apparently my rowing club used to have the person in bow in quads also make all of the calls. My friend, who is the former college rower who is under the age of 50, mentioned that no one could hear him during pieces because the sound of the oars was simply too loud.

They can hear me. Trust me. Even when a freight train is running right there on the river bank to our left, plus it's windy, they can hear me. :lol::lol::lol:

Yes! That's exactly what I was trying to do. Let the boat come to me.

This morning's row was wet. So wet. So much rain. I was three seat in a quad in crappy crappy water (choppy) and our bow ended up making all of the calls ;) I'm not sure why I wasn't in 2 seat but we had a guest rower in 2 and one of the people who teaches learn to row in bow.

Our 30 min piece was cut short due to water conditions of awfulness and we did two 2min on/1 min off pieces back into the dock. The only good part about this is that it meant that we didn't have to do any square blade work ;) Mind you, the water conditions were such that I can't imagine that square blade work would have been at all successful. I was talking to someone who has been rowing for years longer than I have been and she was saying that these were probably some of the worst conditions we'd ever been in. I mean there weren't white caps (we wouldn't have gone out if there were). But it was very bad. Had it just been torrential rain but flat water, then that wouldn't have been so bad - wet, but not bad enough to to go back in more or less half an hour early..

I did lots of working on lengthening my stroke which is coming along. I had oars that were too long for me (inboard) which sucked and the handles were too big as well, so I didn't get a lot of work done on feathering with my fingers. That said, I was able to get a lot of hang off of the oars during the longer piece that we did which was nice - like, butt literally off of the seat, hang. That and working on not opening up too early which is part of how I am working on lengthening my stroke (which I'm getting better at fairly quickly).
    I'm going to try to row in a double with the person who was bowing (who is one of the people who taught me to row actually) next week. It would be a very fun double and when I asked her she said she would be more than happy - all it means is letting the main sculling coach know that we want to row in a double together before he makes lineups.
  • pierinifitness
    I'm jealous of all the outdoor activity. We're going into the nice season, though, in Tucson. I hope to get out more soon. Not much hiking going on when it's 107.

Today was 90 minutes at the gym. Really nice job of keeping it in my target from 65% to 75% of max HR.

@MikePfirrman, just returned about a week ago from Scottsdale and it was a hot week but I did lots of hiking - - - to the hotel pool every late afternoon.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Saturday and Sunday: 40 miles of hiking with a lot of really slow people, many of whom clearly hadn’t taken their training seriously. It took 24 hours due purely to the pace.

Today: Official Rest Day. Will probably take a couple of short strolls to loosen up my calves.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    9/16
    am
    Yoga
    5 Tibetan Rites (13 rounds each rite working towards 21)
    Hatha Sun Salutation - 5 Rounds
    Conditioning
    Jump Rope - 45s on 15s off x 15
    Meditate

pm
    Yoga
    Ashtanga Sun Salutation A - 10 Rounds
    Strength
    Pull-up - E2MOM (30m)
    5 rep E2MOM (75)

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Saturday and Sunday: 40 miles of hiking with a lot of really slow people, many of whom clearly hadn’t taken their training seriously. It took 24 hours due purely to the pace.

Today: Official Rest Day. Will probably take a couple of short strolls to loosen up my calves.

Where were you? I was in Brecon Beacons - there did seem to be a charity hike over some of our hills on the Saturday. We did less distance than you - Friday and Saturday were our main days, and we did (I think) around 30 miles, with around 17 peaks.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »

Congrats on completing the Charity hike!! 40 miles is impressive. You can't help that you were so much more prepared than the rest. Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination. Hope you had fun, though it sounds exhausting to me!
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    30 min elliptical
    5×6 dual pulley row 27.5 lbs
    20 lunges with 30 lb bar
    20 dips
    20 squats with 30 lb weights
    5×6 chest press 50 lbs
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Another 7K rowing the double, this time doing a bunch of our longer leg of the normal route alternating 10 strokes for power, 10 strokes steady state. We interrupted this a couple of times (stayed at SS) to safely pass someone or avoid hitting a *&%^* log that was floating in the middle of the river. Started feeling pretty good in the later pieces, but there's still quite a bit of work to do for speed improvement.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Dumbbell bench press 2x8, 1x6
    Leg press 3x10
    Pulldowns 3x10
    Seated leg curls 3x10
    Dumbbell shoulder press 3x5
    Facepulls 2x10