Protein intake

Hello everyone! I’m wondering how to calculate how much protein I should be eating per day.. I have googled and every link I click says something different so hopefully I can get some accurate answers here. I am a woman, 5’4”, 202lbs. Wanting to maintain/gain muscle and drop fat. Thanks!

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    I have read when trying to build/gain muscle, a lot shoot for at least 1 gram of protein for every kilogram of of weight.

So at 202 lbs, that would be somewhere around 92 grams of protein daily.

I always remind people that nothing is set in stone on MFP. Can always start with one goal and adjust it later if not getting results desired. Can start at 90s, and up it if not seeing results.

Good luck.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Ann linked the link I favor.

Based on the resources in that, I decided that while losing and exercising it made sense to aim for around 0.8 g of protein per lb of a healthy goal weight (I used 120). I think the evidence supports a range of 0.65 g-0.85 g as beneficial for those losing or active, with doing both pushing toward the higher end. Add to that that I was a woman in my 40s (still am!) and thus at increased risk of muscle loss vs, say, a 20-something man, and that also caused me to pick a number toward the higher end of the range (0.8 g/lb). Helpfully for me, it was an amount not hard to reach and I tend to find protein pretty satiating.
  • Thanks to those who replied! This helped me out a lot and thanks for the link :)
  • One more thing... I think My meals are too big because I struggle to get my calories in for the day.. or.. idk.. maybe instead of 3 meals and snacks for 1793 calories I should break it up into 5 meals?.. Just a thought.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    One more thing... I think My meals are too big because I struggle to get my calories in for the day.. or.. idk.. maybe instead of 3 meals and snacks for 1793 calories I should break it up into 5 meals?.. Just a thought.

Whatever works for you is fine. The total at the end of the day is all that matters for weight loss. The rest is up to your preference.
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    edited September 2019
    Doesn’t matter, make your plan, try your plan, adjust your plan.... When it feels right, it probably is. You should try different types and amounts and see how you feel. I would honestly focus on plant proteins as the bulk with a small amount of animal proteins, but that’s just me. Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are satisfied. 3, 4, 5, 6 meals, not as important.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    One more thing... I think My meals are too big because I struggle to get my calories in for the day.. or.. idk.. maybe instead of 3 meals and snacks for 1793 calories I should break it up into 5 meals?.. Just a thought.

i've been eating 5 to 6 smaller meals per day for years. i started because it means lower blood sugar spikes (i'm type 2), but that's what bodybuilders do, too, to keep plenty of protein for repairs with no drops through the day.

it can be challenging as it means you eat every 2 to 3 hours, but i prefer it.