Flavors of Childhood?

Replies

• SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    edited September 2019
    Noodle Roni Parmesan. It was my most favorite food ever, but they screwed-up the recipe and the new one is nowhere near as good as the 70s version.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Quick!! I loved Quick too as a kid.

And also fairy bread at birthday parties.

semkmxwfol9o.jpg
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Anyone remember these? I used to love these back in the early 80s. And the plates were reusable.
    user-image-1336234381.jpg
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    A treat for us at home was strawberry shortcake. We'd buy the shortcake (when we got older, we started making them, so much tastier) and sugar the strawberries and put Cool Whip on top.

Shortcut-Strawberry-Shortcakes-lead.JPG.480x0_q71_crop-scale.jpg
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    03t8piajpj2h.jpg

I used to eat this with a spoon.

YES! I loved the classic malt. I can taste it now...

I loved the malt flavor too. When I was a teenager and home sick by myself I would always have a huge glass of this (mixed into milk) with egg & buttered toast when I started to feel well enough to eat. Definitely comforting!

My brothers and sisters LOVED the malt flavor so much for ovaltine AND the Carnations Malted milk--not me, I didn't like the "malt" taste.
    they used to drink this a LOT:

3019183965_234fa57a37_z.jpg

They also used to buy "malts" at the ice cream palor--not me, I only like shakes--but I LOVED this:

3b76a421b6312eb4571d35761451a2d1.jpg

They also made this in strawberry flavor, which my siblings loved...but I didn't I only liked the chocolate flavored one.

Yes and yes, omgosh! I loooooved both when I was a kid! No wonder I love my plant protein shakes now 😋😋

I just remembered my ALL time favorite chocolate powder that made the BEST chocolate milk in the world...

pdqdrink.jpg

I LOVED PDQ!!!!!
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    A treat for us at home was strawberry shortcake. We'd buy the shortcake (when we got older, we started making them, so much tastier) and sugar the strawberries and put Cool Whip on top.

Shortcut-Strawberry-Shortcakes-lead.JPG.480x0_q71_crop-scale.jpg

We used to use the sarah lee pound cake but otherwise we used to do them the exact same way! Cool whip and sugared strawberries!
  • RelCanonical
    bear2303 wrote: »
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    I want the recipe for the hawaiian fried rice.

As for kid food--ice cream sandwiches as I remember them. But nowadays my tolerance for sweet is lower and they are too sweet for me.

Hawaiian fried rice is super easy! I looked online to see if i could find a good recipe for you but everything that i google for "hawaiian fried rice" seems to come up with stuff like a take on hawaiian pizza so pineapple and ham GROSS! So i'll share my "recipe" for fried rice

5-6 Cups Cold Day old White Glutinous (sticky) rice
    1/2 Pound Bacon
    1/2 Can Spam
    1/2 Pound Portuguese Sausage (or summer sausage)
    3 Eggs
    1/2 White onion
    1 Bunch Green Onion
    1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
    2 TBS Oyster Sauce

Start by cutting all the meats down to small pieces. Start with bacon and when its about halfway done add in the spam and other sausage. When all the meat is about 3/4 done add in onion. Cook until onion is translucent and soft. Drain most of the fat off but keep about 2-3 tablespoons in the pan. Add in white rice working a cup in at a time and making sure to move it around quickly. Once you have all the rice in add in the soy sauce and oyster sauce and add more of each if needed depending on your taste.

Scramble eggs on the side and then mix in green onions just before serving.

This sounds so delicious. I used to not care for spam until I tasted fried spam. Uh-mazing.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited September 2019
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    MoxyLeigh wrote: »
    744d60f3fdac0ae6c926cc240c7246c9.jpg

Lol, yes!

My neighbor gave these out when my sister & I would trick or treat around the neighborhood.
  • bear2303
    This sounds so delicious. I used to not care for spam until I tasted fried spam. Uh-mazing.

Lol right? As an adult who is trying to be healthier though it is terrible for you!
  • RelCanonical
    bear2303 wrote: »

Lol right? As an adult who is trying to be healthier though it is terrible for you!

Lol, seriously! I had some when I visited a friend a few weeks back, and logging that was a bloodbath. So many calories for such a small portion.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    k8eekins wrote: »
    Anything (our) Dad made. I was such an unappreciative certifiable brat. He would make gelato, chocolates, chippies, you name it ... He made them for us. I would love just one of those treats or dishes now.

Ditto, plus Mum's corned beef meatballs wrapped with spinach (baby leaves, treated, cooked, drained etc) fried.

Was born in India (only not ethnically of Indian-descent). Grew up in Oceania-Pacific, NZ, Australia, UK.

Favourite snack bites from our food vendor neighbours if playing with friends:

* Tamarind with oven-baked peas or chick peas
    * Bombay mix
    * Spiced baked peas in a mini-tub of vanilla ice cream (from the school tuck shop)
    * Sausage rolls
    * Meat pies
    * Roti parcels (chicken)
    * Good 'ole fish and chips (Boarding house student-resident favourite, from the short-end of the neighbouring town, every Friday)
    * Deep & wide container of microwaveable fried chicken from Marks & Spencer

Looking up the page, I miss Horlick's, Ovaltine and Milo, not that they're unavailable here, it's just that they don't quite taste the same.

I miss those. I can see myself returning from school with these yummy morsels plated for our pm snack. How Mum would cook those up during her lunch hours, then rush back to teach the last two school periods astounds me. Her fried/ steamed herbed pumpkin stuffed pumpkin leaves were delicious after school snacks too.
  • 777Gemma888
    I fondly remember my maternal grandfather giving us a treat budget post Sunday services, but ONLY if we stayed awake until the sermon. Naptime sprawled on our granddaddy occurred after that in the male elders of the church section. Lol. We would get:

* Monkey's balls
    * Chinese ginger
    * Pawpaw skins
    * Mango skins
    * Mango achar
    * Tit tit 2 ( Twin popsicles)
    * Torpedo blasters ( it rotated upwards as you'd twist n eat/lick them
    * 2 cent candy - flat paper thin, penny sized bean candy.
  • 777Gemma888
    The Aussie Hot Bread Kitchen franchise cream buns.

muofnwaii5px.png
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    The Aussie Hot Bread Kitchen franchise cream buns.

muofnwaii5px.png

Officially jealous because those look DELICIOUS!

I miss the eclairs at a bakery in my hometown but that's more from my early adult years...I think around 1999-2005. They were so much better than any other eclair or similar cream-filled dessert, they pretty much ruined all the others for me. Those look darn amazing though ^

I also miss the weird free cookies they gave away at the local supermarket during my 80s childhood. They were a sugar cookie that was never too hard or too soft. The dough was just barely mixed through with food coloring so they would have a blue, red, or green section on 1/3 or 1/2 of the cookie and that was it. I never considered them a fave back then but I'd love to have one more!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Hot buttered Cheerios.
    Fried bologna sandwiches.
    English muffin pizzas in the toaster oven.
    Also, the cinnamon toast...YES.

Hot buttered Cheerios? Do tell

I think it's one of those things that was a suggestion on the box of Cheerios...
    Melt butter in a pan.
    Add Cheerios and stir until hot and crispy.
    Add salt.
    You have to eat them while they are hot.
    The key was to have the right ratio of butter to Cheerios so that they didn't get soggy.

I was just talking about how much I'd eat these after school!
  • bear2303
    I remember sometime, on Friday nights...we used to have "hot dogs and popcorn" for dinner! We used to boil and then roast hot dogs over the flame of our gas stove and then pop some popcorn on the stove top (on the stove...microwaves weren't invented then) put salt and butter on the popcorn and wash it down with kool-aid --roasted hot dogs and popcorn was THE BEST dinner!

100508_hotdog.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

2015-05-24-buttered-popcorn-7-680x384.jpg?la=en

Oh my goodness you just reminded me that when i was a kiddo my mom would take us to the movies and occasionally we'd get to have hotdogs and popcorn for dinner! We didn't make it at home ever but the combo of hot dogs and popcorn is totally amazing!