New members

Replies

• suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Sounds a good idea to set yourself benchmarks along the way and rewards that are not food related! Keep in touch.
  • Sara628588
    Sara628588 Posts: 88 Member
    Hello!! So, I am Sara, I have ben a bounce back person to MFP - cant recall how many times I've restarted but here I go and trying so very hard.

I am 57, and weigh 296 lbs, more than I have ever weighed. I am not setting a goal as I usually give up when it seems unreachable. I am great at excuses, self sabotage and giving up. I really, really want to do this.

So hello and let's get on with the show.....
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Sara628588 wrote: »
    Hello!! So, I am Sara, I have ben a bounce back person to MFP - cant recall how many times I've restarted but here I go and trying so very hard.

I am 57, and weigh 296 lbs, more than I have ever weighed. I am not setting a goal as I usually give up when it seems unreachable. I am great at excuses, self sabotage and giving up. I really, really want to do this.

Baby steps, Sara!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,879 Member

A goal without a plan is a wish.... Do you have a plan yet?
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    One step at s time
    One day at a time
  • hummingbrdhrt
    hummingbrdhrt Posts: 67 Member
    Hi all - I guess you could say I have “graduated” from the MFP 40s age group to this one. 😀 I am 53 and weigh 270 lbs. My mom died in June and I have been very sad and unmotivated resulting in a 5 lb. weight gain. I am working with a counselor and part of my total health recovery is my physical health. I have a lot of weight to lose, but am focusing on improved health targets for now which seem less overwhelming. Looking forward to motivating friendships and exchange of ideas. Have an awesome week!
  • hummingbrdhrt
    hummingbrdhrt Posts: 67 Member
    Thanks @UncleMac. My condolences on the loss of your daughter. I have begun working with a personal trainer and his advice is the same as yours - you can’t exercise your way out of a bad diet. I like exercise and it definitely is helping with my strength and balance, but I am trying very hard to focus on food - one healthy choice at a time.
  • Sara628588
    Sara628588 Posts: 88 Member
    UncleMac wrote: »

No - just to keep going! And not to judge myself. Thats usually where I give up.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac wrote: »

No - just to keep going! And not to judge myself. Thats usually where I give up.
    I found this earlier today...

isfla67nypn4.png
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    Thanks for that.
  • UncleMac
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    It resonated with me.
  • SnuffleUpaGal
    SnuffleUpaGal Posts: 7 Member
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the group and new to retirement (former workaholic) and hoping to re-invent myself and re-gain many of the healthy habits I gave up in favor of giving all of my time to my job for the last 30+ years.
  • calicomem
    calicomem Posts: 1 Member
    hi everyone. just found the groups. have been struggling to get going on losing weight. i need to get serious to be healthy again. hoping this support will help.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    Hey @SNUFFLEUPAGAL and @calicomem. Welcome to our little nook in the wide world of MFP. You'll find most of us are supportive, and don't bite much. Well, unless it's something tasty, then I'll have a bite.

Another good place to find support is a group called "Lose 1 pound a week and keep it off." It's a friendly place, too, and they host little challenges to keep things fun. The group is big near mid-winter, but folks slack off through summer, and it would be great to see a few new folks come sign up.

But stick around here, too :smile:
  • libertyacres
    libertyacres Posts: 3 Member
    Good morning kids! I'm back on MFP after being gone for more than five years. Back then, I was tracking my weight/calories and exercise in an effort to lose 20+lbs. I became quit ill and lost 35 lbs (5'7" and 117 lbs). During that time, I got into the habit of eating anything my body would tolerate, whenever I could. Well, I'm much better now and had gained weight to a good level (127 lbs). In the past few months, I've been packing on the lbs again; 7 lbs in just a few months. I want to get back to eating on a regular schedule with more attention to nutrition and calories. I also recently started working out again. Looking forward to making some online friends here. Lib
  • kndpeanut
    kndpeanut Posts: 3 Member
    Is this group still active?
  • UncleMac
    kndpeanut wrote: »
    Is this group still active?
    Yes, there are several of us who regularly check in.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I check the forums almost every day, but don't always have anything to say.
  • nhawduran
    nhawduran Posts: 10 Member
    Hi everyone--
    I'm looking to lose 20 pounds, or a little more, and I try not to think about how many times I've tried to do this before. But I'm living alone now, so I can be as careful as I want about food, and in the last year I've gotten a really good exercise habit going. Now it's all about tracking and reducing the food intake. Wish me luck!