Walking Partners

Good Evening from Scotland

I am looking for suggestions/advice. I have always really enjoyed walking, but I don't particularly like going by myself due to anxiety issues mainly. And all my life I've found it hard to find anyone reliable and closeby that I can walk with on a regular basis. And with my weight steadily increasing pretty much my whole life, I need to make a change, and my eating is under control, but I am VERY sedentary and I want to get more active.

Does anyone have any suggestions on finding like minded people in my area to walk with? (I checked Meetup.com but I have social anxiety and I'm not comfortable meeting a huge well-established group...I'd feel much more comfortable with maybe 1 or 2 people and preferably women).

And would anyone have any suggestions to make a walk more enjoyable by myself? (I've tried earphones, but I just get scared thinking something is walking behind me all the time :<)

Thanks in advance

-Catherine

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I sometimes call a friend to chat on the phone while I walk around my neighborhood
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Check out walking videos on YouTube:

Walking Online Workouts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C66vvJzHZjw

Walk at Home (Leslie Sansone): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqaNUjTR70A

or Jessica Smith TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnCMUGnWVIg

Not the same as walking outdoors but great for bad weather.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I've made some great friends on a local hiking forum. If hiking appeals to you, this is something often done in small groups (even just two) and many hikers are community minded. It also gives you something in common to talk about which may help the social anxiety.

For what it's worth there are many hiking meetups here and I haven't found them to be effective. I know I'm not the only one, and neither are you.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Hi Catherine. I visited Scotland years ago and loved your beautiful country.

I enjoy walking by myself. I do walking meditations and other meditation practices while I walk, so I'm glad for the solitude.

However, I can sympathize with your anxiety -- I love walking in a nearby national park, especially early in the morning, but the thought of being assaulted because I'm alone makes me nervous. We've never had anything like that happen here (I'm in safe area), but I'm originally from a major city, so I know it could happen one day. I go when other people exercising are likely to be around.

Have you considered walking with a dog? They make great walking companions. If you don't own a dog, you might look into adopting one. I've adopted several adult dogs and told the rescue group I wanted a well-mannered dog that was good on the leash. Just a thought.
  • mmckanna001
    mmckanna001 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Catherine - I listen to audiobooks and adopted a dog that loves a good walk. Both really keep me motivated to walk regularly. Occasionally I go with a friend when our schedules match up. Good luck!
  • KhadijahOwos
    KhadijahOwos Posts: 40 Member
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I would love to have a dog for the security aspect as much as the companionship so I may well look into that. A lot of good ideas here, I'll be sure to try in the mean time. xx
  • carolejaye1217
    carolejaye1217 Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks for posting this! It’s been good encouragement to me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Are there still dancing bears? I bet that would intimidate any would-be attacker.