Gifted a ton of ripe tomatoes - now what to do? Juice? 🍅

Safari_Gal_
Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
edited September 2019 in Recipes
30bpbuu4xbxs.jpeg

So I was just gifted about 15lbs of Roma tomatoes - from an awesome neighbor with a beautiful garden.

I was thinking of all the things that could go with homemade tomato sauce - then I thought about juice! (We usually make our own sauce and mason jar it - but peeling and stewing all the tomatoes - cringe.)

When I’ve made homemade tomato juice in the past - and I love it! - it’s typically with heirloom tomatoes.

Anyone ever try homemade tomato juice with Roma tomatoes?
Google has a lot of options- but thought I’d ask the MFP recipe clan..Open to any recipes from all you 🍅 lovers!

Thanks!

Replies

• Idratherberunning2017
    Idratherberunning2017 Posts: 20 Member
    edited September 2019
    I was able to get a ton at a farmers market for $5.

I made sauce and also tomato sandwiches.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    I usually roast mine in the oven (with garlic, oo, s&p, basil leaves) and then blend it for tomato sauce. Then I freeze it into ice cube portions for easy grabbing during dinners.
  • Safari_Gal_
    I was able to get a ton at a farmers market for $5.

I made sauce and also tomato sandwiches.

Tomato sandwiches are awesome! I was thinking of soup as well. It’s the end of the tomato season!
  • Safari_Gal_
    I usually roast mine in the oven (with garlic, oo, s&p, basil leaves) and then blend it for tomato sauce. Then I freeze it into ice cube portions for easy grabbing during dinners.

😮 awesome idea/ ice cubes! Does this work for Bloody Marys too? Lol kidding ☺️
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Roma tomatoes are a plum type tomato and are really best for making tomato sauce. Fifteen pounds wouldn't take very long to process. 😉
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    tomato sauce, or can them!
  • suncakemom
    suncakemom Posts: 9 Member
    If you like fried potato then brava sauce is all the way. Otherwise
    Bruschetta (italian - tomato on bread)
    Pan con tomate (spanish - tomato on bread)
    Gazpacho - (spanish - cold tomato soup)
    Stuffed peppers with tomato sauce or just plain meatballs with tomato sauce r0ssl4gmpmaf.jpg
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Tomato chutney.
    Tomato soup.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    salsa/pico, soup, sauce, tomato and cucumber salad, send to me..... :)
  • erkjak
    erkjak Posts: 4 Member
    Caprese
  • erkjak
    erkjak Posts: 4 Member
    b4nm9qwkluvu.jpeg
    Caprese Salad
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Dry them in a very low oven.
    Works great and they keep well.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Tomato and roasted red pepper soup. The red pepper is charred with skin removed. No skin on tomatoes either or seeds. They make it in Spain.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member

^This. Cut them in half along the equator and lay them on a rimmed backing tray. You can add garlic pieces or herbs, drizzle with olive oil, dot a little balsamic, and roast low (250F) for 3+hours. Your house will smell amazing. I slide them into freezer bags and when I use them, dump them into a pot, slowly thaw and heat them, and either buzz them with a hand blender, or just coarsely chop them with kitchen scissors. It's instant sauce. You totally scored!!!!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Wow awesome ideas!!! Thanks all!!!

So- I did a blend of the above.

And all were right- Roma is the best for sauce.

So- we now have more tomatoes. My Mother in Law from Rome- makes over 100 mason jars worth and distributes them to everyone. The actual sauce making takes the entire day. I’m going to have to make a post just for sauce making! Love to hear your thoughts! Next thread comin!

5kghm8p4uf7s.jpeg
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I get a bushel of tomatoes every year. This year I made sauce and also simply diced the. I peeled then diced and cooked them down a bit. I'm using them to make chili or salsa .
  • petitchatnoir41
    petitchatnoir41 Posts: 56 Member
    Stuffed beef tomatoes! It's keto. I'm trying it this week.