psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2019
    dpr73 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Bro! 7 days a week? Might add decide to hypertrophy or power lift! One or the other! You do a lot of damage to your muscles and need time to recover for proper growth! Do some research on minimal effective volume vs maximum recovery volume.

Um. Some of the best intermediate programs are both hypertrophy and power
    And I’ll repeat—one of the 7 days is a cardio day without any lifting

How's it working out for ya?😉
    Only reason I mentioned it was, If you are over reaching and causing high muscle damage. Thus, holding water. Add in stress ,slow bowels, bam... weight gain.

I’m very proud of my physique actually. But your point here is valid and was on my initial differential for the cause. It’s just that you didn’t say that from the start.

Maybe deload for a week or two. How long have you been in progressive overload? Could help...🤷‍♂️

Hmm...I would say since about April

You are most likely due a deload. Now this is N=1 experience. I stayed in overload for nearly 6 months. Took 6 weeks of deload to recover. Dropped 3 lbs of water weight. I mean if you are still getting gains and want to progress, go for it, but your body might need a break.

**added**
    I look at weight lifting as kind of loading the bed of a truck. General hypertrophic lifting is more like setting boxes in. Power lifting is more like dropping the boxes. Either way you are loading the truck. Well the more you put in the bed the more stress it puts on the springs. To the point its getting lower to the ground. You have been dropping and setting boxes in the bed for 5-6 months. Your "bed" might be really low to the ground now. Take that load off and maybe see if the springs pop back. I am sure someone on here will say this is wrong, but it is an open forum. Some people like reactive deload. I prefer plannned ish. If I am on a roll, I might press on a week or two, but if not, I let my old bones rest. Jmho
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I thought you were in the medical field and going to see a doctor to rule out other causes? What happened with that?
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    I thought you were in the medical field and going to see a doctor to rule out other causes? What happened with that?

The symptoms passed and I went back to normal. I also got busy with school...there never really is a free moment in medical training. It was likely stupid but now I do think it warrants a quick visit
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member

The symptoms passed and I went back to normal. I also got busy with school...there never really is a free moment in medical training. It was likely stupid but now I do think it warrants a quick visit

Yes, it does. Let us know when you’ve booked an appointment!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Overtraining syndrome, perhaps?
  • dpr73
    Overtraining syndrome, perhaps?

I took the day off and went to yoga yesterday. I feel much more energized and am going to continue with taking Sunday off for rest and yoga. Also, my weight is trending down since Friday. I think that I am going to need to accept that under periods of high stress I now have a tendency to add a lot of water weight acutely.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    Hey everyone! So a few months ago I had noted that I was gaining weight at a very rapid pace (somewhere around 6lbs in 10 days to 142 at the highest point) when I was previously maintaining (around 136-137). I posted about the issue here, and noted that I was under stress with examinations, recently stopped drinking caffeine, and had a dip in activity (2 miles a day from average 4) which all may have explained the rise. I ended up decreasing calories (to 2300 from 2700), which saw me lose about 10lbs IMMEDIATELY after into a weight range BELOW my normal range (133, my weight range is 135).

So I went back up to around 2600 in July and was just about maintaining for over a month and a half. THEN, I hit my weight range again two weeks ago (135) and so decreased calories to between 2400 and 2500 these past two weeks. HOWEVER, I am now UP over 5.2lbs AGAIN (to 140.4) in a single week! The weight gain is completely linear in that each day now I am gaining at least 1lb like clockwork EVERYDAY. I am currently going through medical examinations and publications that I am very stressed about and this is my ONLY change in lifestyle otherwise I am extremely regimented and nothing notable has changed. But I keep convincing myself that there must be something really wrong because this is the first year I have ever noticed my body respond like this to weight.

A little about me:
    24 years old
    Weight Range: 135-140 usually
    Male
    Calories: 2400-2500 currently (always take one day off from counting and while I definitely eat more than usual b/c I eat out on these days I don't treat it as a binge day...I just try to enjoy food and alcohol that is out of my normal routine)
    Work Out 7 days a week (6 days lifting and one day of running between 3 and 5 miles)
    Daily Activity: exactly 3.7-4.0 miles everyday walking (not including gym activities)

Does anyone have a better explanation for what is happening? As I said, stress seems to be my only common denominator in both events. However, my body never responded to stress like this.
    The other new thing this year is that I go to the gym 7 days a week (I usually took one or two days off from the gym previously), but I began this back in December and these weird weight gain episodes started once in March and once now.

Go see a doctor, explain what is happening and ask for a blood test and to check your tyroid. No one on here is a doctor or has reviewed your blood work so you just get like guesses ... and then you kind of pick the best guess that you agree with and yet still have no idea what the issue is.. so find out the issue and work from there. Doctor knows best. (please don't respond telling me how bad your doctor is random ppl, go find a new doctor then)

@Tedebearduff
    I agree.

Original poster:
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-weight-gain-shockers

Cushing’s disease?
  • idreamincolor5
    idreamincolor5 Posts: 11 Member
    make sure you are watching your sodium and sugar intake. If you are stressed, you may be eating foods to make you feel better. I know for me, that tends to be foods high in sodium and sugar. It doesn't matter how much I exercise, if I take in too much sodium it won't make a difference. Good luck!
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    My bet is you have "slowed" down - something changed (less what....that's for you to answer). OR something is hidden in your cals. Doesn't take much for a swing. For example, I'm teaching two classes, so sitting longer to grade on Sunday's....it has been harder. Usually just doing 1 in addition to work.
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    make sure you are watching your sodium and sugar intake. If you are stressed, you may be eating foods to make you feel better. I know for me, that tends to be foods high in sodium and sugar. It doesn't matter how much I exercise, if I take in too much sodium it won't make a difference. Good luck!

When I decide on food, sodium is the second thing I look at; calories being the first. I'm the chef at my house and only use no-sodium-salt, but most canned and packaged items are loaded with salt.
  • dpr73
    ONE MORE QUESTION: my weight is trending down now but I’m still kind of running through things in my head...my current diet is breakfast at 7; lunch at 12-2; dinner at 6-7; meal before bed at 9-10.
    Each meal is 500-600 calories (for my allottment of 2400-2600 calories). I figured this wasn’t a problem cause “timing doesn’t matter,” and I was maintaining on this regiment for sometime.
    But am I promoting fat gain by eating at 9/10? My logic says no...but is there any research studying calorically equivalent diets with calories in the earlier part of the day and in the latter part (I.e studies controlling for calories as obviously that is a big confounder with late night snacking).
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    ONE MORE QUESTION: my weight is trending down now but I’m still kind of running through things in my head...my current diet is breakfast at 7; lunch at 12-2; dinner at 6-7; meal before bed at 9-10.
    Each meal is 500-600 calories (for my allottment of 2400-2600 calories). I figured this wasn’t a problem cause “timing doesn’t matter,” and I was maintaining on this regiment for sometime.
    But am I promoting fat gain by eating at 9/10? My logic says no...but is there any research studying calorically equivalent diets with calories in the earlier part of the day and in the latter part (I.e studies controlling for calories as obviously that is a big confounder with late night snacking).

Not really.. anything i have read. Might effect the scale with water and stomach contents. Most i read about night time eating was it can become mindless. Night shift workers still lose weight, but having worked night shift for some years a while back, I used food as a sleep replacement.
  • cindyloving358
    cindyloving358 Posts: 6 Member
    I can gain 5 lbs overnight from eating a bag of chips. Track your sodium.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    I track my weight on Happy Scale. I can look back and see exactly when I was stressed by the rapid weight gain on the graph. It happens Every. Single. Time. Seriously, I can look back and see exactly when I was stressed about my divorce, job change and house buying adventures. It's now pretty predictable. I also now know that if I'm tired and have an overnight weight gain of 3-4 pounds that I am getting sick. I don't think there's anything wrong with you, it's just how your body responds.
  • dpr73
    I decreased calories to 2400 and am taking everyone’s advice—4 day’s lifting with 2 day’s of yoga and one day of cardio (3-5 mile run) . Do you think by decreasing this regimen I should reduce calories even more or is 2400 likely sufficient?? It’s so strange I need to be so concerned about weight gain suddenly. I usually haven’t worried about it and as long as I keep to my calories I usually maintain (sometimes even lose!) pretty easily.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited September 2019
    Bro! 7 days a week? Might add decide to hypertrophy or power lift! One or the other! You do a lot of damage to your muscles and need time to recover for proper growth! Do some research on minimal effective volume vs maximum recovery volume.

Yes... but those programs are usually only 4 days/week. 2 power, 2 Hypertrophy.
    I think you are over stressing your body, which is causing your weight to fluctuate.

Also how is your sodium and potassium intake. could be out of balance. i.e. too much sodium or not enough potassium
  • dpr73
    erickirb wrote: »

Yes... but those programs are usually only 4 days/week. 2 power, 2 Hypertrophy.
    I think you are over stressing your body, which is causing your weight to fluctuate.

Also how is your sodium and potassium intake. could be out of balance. i.e. too much sodium or not enough potassium

I decreased calories to 2400 and I decreased my activity to 4 days lifting, 2 days yoga, 1 day running. Should I decrease calories any further?
    Also, I doubt it’s my sodium/potassium balance. I eat a plant based diet with minimally processed foods (only processed food is really Tofu/a toasted English muffin in the morning) and my potassium is through the roof because of the volume of fruits and veggies I eat.