Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Cookbooks

cnjg6677cnjg6677 Posts: 127Member Member Posts: 127Member Member
in Recipes
What’s your favotite

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 622Member Member Posts: 622Member Member
    Nigel Slater - Real Fast Food - if I have to pick one.

Although to be honest I can’t remember the last time I opened an actual recipe book. Anything I make regularly the recipe is in my head. Most things I cook are ‘winged’ anyway. If I do want an idea of how to do something, or a specific recipe, maybe for a cuisine I’m not so familiar with in terms of spice balancing then I’ll turn to Pinterest.

If I had any sense I’d throw a lot of my recipe books away, but that’d be like kicking my children out, so I’m not doing it!
  • sytchequeensytchequeen Posts: 520Member Member Posts: 520Member Member
    I tend to read my cookbooks for fun and inspiration, I rarely get one out to follow a recipe to the letter though (apart from rare baking). Some favourite reads are Heston Blumenthal, because he details his recipe development and research as well as simply including the recipe. I have a great book for information about preparing meat, The River Cottage Meat Book. It isn't just about cooking but also butchery and knife skills. I have a huge selection of Indian cookery books, some are traditional and regional, but I have one which is British Indian Restaurant Style. I would have to say that is one I have used a lot and is probably in my top 5 (by Pat Chapman)
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 4,038Member Member Posts: 4,038Member Member
    Most of my cookbooks are older, since I use google nowadays for the most part. My beloved classics are

Shizuo Tsuji: Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art
    David Thompson: Thai Cooking
    Marcella Hazan: The Classic Italian Cookbook (vols 1 and 2)
    Pei Mei: The Chinese Cookbook (vol 1)
    Claudia Roden: A New Book of Middle Eastern Food
    Elizabeth David: French Provincial Cooking
    Rose Grey and Elizabeth Rogers: The River Cafe Cookbook Easy
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,090Member Member Posts: 7,090Member Member
    The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt

All you really need to understand what, why and how.