NSV’s, they’re important!

I am normally very focused on the scale and this time around I’ve been enjoying the non scale victories more than anything.

Being able to do things I haven’t thought of in 3 years is empowering! I have been a yo-yoer for most of my life and had maintained an unhealthy high weight for the last three years, but finally snapped out of it. I learned to live with limited mobility, low energy and unhappiness. I am just blown away with the changes after being that way for so long. I feel like a different person.

I crossed my leg over my knee(seated) almost completely for the first time in 3 years this weekend. The feeling was so strange, being flexible enough to do that again. I can bend to shave my legs easily in the shower. Bend to grab the laundry from the dryer without holding my breath! My shoes are starting to fit better again after years of sandals and sock boots. I gave them been able to wear sneakers easily since my feet were so swollen. I just bought a new pair of pants because im down almost 3 sizes!

It’s so sad that I had those limitations for so long and I just learned to live with them.
I will NEVER get that unhealthy again. The non scale victories are showing me what my journey is really about.

I hope you all are enjoying yours non scale victories!

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Honestly, they're what keep me going. I LOVE how strong I am now. Being able to plan a weekend backpacking trip at the last minute, or anything else that's physically challenging and not have to train for it makes me happy. I'm not an endurance athlete, but I love being able to do what I want to do, when I want to do it :)
    And yes, putting on clothes that I haven't worn in years is very gratifying too!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Those are some great nsv's. I think they're a great reward, in and of themselves. Keep up the good work. 👍
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I love the realisation of having a NSV, my favourite one was being able to fit comfortably into a cinema seat, then the other week I noticed that my thighs were no longer touching the edges of my office chair.
    I too have gone down 3 sizes and last weekend bought a jacket from a high street store rather than a plus size shop.
  • sthurman
    sthurman Posts: 23 Member
    Honestly, they're what keep me going. I LOVE how strong I am now. Being able to plan a weekend backpacking trip at the last minute, or anything else that's physically challenging and not have to train for it makes me happy. I'm not an endurance athlete, but I love being able to do what I want to do, when I want to do it :)
    And yes, putting on clothes that I haven't worn in years is very gratifying too!

I want to be at that stage of health again as well!
    Building strength can be left on back burner while trying to lose, but it’s such an essential part of being healthy. It’s amazing that you’re able to just get up and go so easily! I’d love to be in that shape already. I need to be patient and work on it safely.
    I’d like to be 5k ready at all times like I was in my mid twenties. I had enough energy to play with my kids, walk wherever I wanted. I miss that a lot. That will have to be one of big non scale goals!
  • sthurman
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Those are some great nsv's. I think they're a great reward, in and of themselves. Keep up the good work. 👍

Thank you!
    They are absolutely such a reward. They’re the motivation I need to see all this through. I can’t wait to get my life back
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    edited September 2019
    My NSVs have less to do with weight loss and general fitness and everything that two successful hip replacements earlier in the year have so dramatically turned things around for me and propelled to better pursue weight loss and fitness to comfortably plan and take three road trips (so far) to doing ordinary things like climbing stairs to things like "scurrying to get out of the rain" to which I add with a wink and smile when I tell people this, "AND I CAN!" It's a total NSV for me!!
  • sthurman
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    I love the realisation of having a NSV, my favourite one was being able to fit comfortably into a cinema seat, then the other week I noticed that my thighs were no longer touching the edges of my office chair.
    I too have gone down 3 sizes and last weekend bought a jacket from a high street store rather than a plus size shop.

I’m fitting better in my driver seat so I know what you mean. It’s strange to think we ever filled the space now that the mass is gone. It’s nice not bruising my legs to fit in places I’m too big for.
    Getting out of the plus’s 🙌🏼!
    That’s such an awesome feeling! I hope you get to enjoy shopping for yourself! I forgot what it was like to enjoy it and have so many options. It’s freeing
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I agree that NSVs are important! I think they help with progress while losing, but also help in long term maintenance. My NSV yesterday is one that happens again and again...when I go to the dentist, and fit into the chair with the armrests in position (with room to spare). When I was at my heaviest years ago, they would automatically raise those armrests because my body was so wide.