GBOMBS

Switching over to a GBOMB plan has been amazing! Not saying its for everyone and not saying any other food choice or plan choice is better or worse, good or bad.

Just for me personally making 90% of my diet consist of greens-beans-onions-mushrooms-berries and seeds has been a real game changer! Weight is coming off effortlessly, energy levels are up, I am sleeping like a baby, no inflammation, no bloat, enjoying quality carbs and I never feel too hungry or too full but feel just right! For me, this plan combined with sticking within an appropriate calorie target really works!

I incorporate other food items into the mix and I cook it up in all different ways. Being vegan the main concern is usually where does the protein come from. On this plan I haven't given it a second thought and I'm hitting my macro's perfectly every day!

Again, it's not for everyone but if you're a veggie-head like me I'd certainly say it's worth looking into. Oh and my grocery cost has gone down and has become very easy :smile:

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Well I seem to learn about a new diet just about everyday on this site 😂. Restricting to predominantly those foods would sound absolutely miserable to me, and I would question how sustainable it is long term, even for someone who likes those foods. Do you see this really as a way of eating you can commit too? Would you eventually maintain on this diet?

But hey, we all have different likes and tastes, and if you are enjoying this diet, finding it easy to maintain, and getting enough calories off of it, I say more power to you for finding something that you enjoy. Even though it is not for me, doesn't mean it cannot be for you. So I wish you well on it. Just make sure you are getting a good diversity of macro and micro nutrients as well, because restrictive diets can tend to be lacking in some of those areas.

Yeah - so read my post again.

I incorporate other food items into the mix

I am far from restricting and I am incorporate a variety of other food items into the basic GBOMB diet. Just doesn't include animal products, my own personal choice. To each their own :smile:

I used to restrict way back when I first lost all of my weight - long before I ever joined MFP or even tracked/logged calories. For a vegan it is quite sustainable! There are hundreds of fruits and veggies that can be used in a variety of awesome and creative recipes! There are endless ways to prepare these types of foods and it's way more interesting than grilled chicken, rice and sweet potato which is basically all I used to eat when I was prepping!

It's quite delightful. So yeah, sustainable for sure!

• BoxerBrawler
    This isn't a new diet - vegetables have been around for a long time heehee :wink:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,097 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Well I seem to learn about a new diet just about everyday on this site 😂. Restricting to predominantly those foods would sound absolutely miserable to me, and I would question how sustainable it is long term, even for someone who likes those foods. Do you see this really as a way of eating you can commit too? Would you eventually maintain on this diet?

But hey, we all have different likes and tastes, and if you are enjoying this diet, finding it easy to maintain, and getting enough calories off of it, I say more power to you for finding something that you enjoy. Even though it is not for me, doesn't mean it cannot be for you. So I wish you well on it. Just make sure you are getting a good diversity of macro and micro nutrients as well, because restrictive diets can tend to be lacking in some of those areas.

I am far from restricting and I am incorporate a variety of other food items into the basic GBOMB diet. Just doesn't include animal products, my own personal choice. To each their own :smile:

I used to restrict way back when I first lost all of my weight - long before I ever joined MFP or even tracked/logged calories. For a vegan it is quite sustainable! There are hundreds of fruits and veggies that can be used in a variety of awesome and creative recipes! There are endless ways to prepare these types of foods and it's way more interesting than grilled chicken, rice and sweet potato which is basically all I used to eat when I was prepping!

So... this 'GBOMB' diet is actually just 'being a vegetarian'?

Weird. I'm pretty sure I've seen fat vegetarians.

In her OP she did mention staying within a calorie target.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited September 2019
    Annie_01 wrote: »

True, she did. But this does just seem to boil down to 'eat lots of low-calorie-density fruit and veg', which is... not exactly an exciting new plan.
  • BoxerBrawler

Really? and what does skinny or fat have to do with anything? I am just sharing some information on some nutrition that I find pleasing. If you don't like or don't agree... well I don't know what to tell you. But why so cynical and bitter? jeez...
  • BoxerBrawler

Thank you! someone who actually read the post and didn't just pick out the words they wanted to be bitter about!
  • BoxerBrawler

True, she did. But this does just seem to boil down to 'eat lots of low-calorie-density fruit and veg', which is... not exactly an exciting new plan.

I never said it was a "new and exciting new diet plan"
    but nice try.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    And I'm guessing that a courgette-iceberg lettuce-cauliflower-onions plan would work just as well ;)

I see what you did there... :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    For example the other night I made a big thing of lentils simmered in onion stock and I added mushrooms (all different kinds), shallots, pumpkin seeds, salt & pepper, a little turmeric and added some shredded apple, walnuts and carrot on top. I paired it with a sweet potato. It was delish! :smile:
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Is this from Dr McGregor's new book? Think I heard it from the tv while I was sleeping the other night.

I went plant based back in March (my diet is mainly veg, fruit, beans and grains with small amounts of nuts/seeds so probably similar to yours). I honestly wish I did it forever ago. I think I've never felt better body-wise. I actually stopped calorie counting because it's been so easy to eat at a deficit but feel totally satisfied (for me, not saying everyone would feel this).

I was worried about protein as well. But every time I put my food in chronometer, not only do I hit my protein and all amino acids (including lysine), I'm also hitting almost all other nutrients except b-12 and vit-d. So I don't worry anymore but do spot check.

I'm glad you found something that's working for you. That's the point right? You clearly stated that you aren't trying to push this diet on others.

As far as grocery budget, hell yeah! It is much less expensive to buy dried beans than it is to buy a beef roast. Overall the food I buy now is much cheaper.

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2019
    For example the other night I made a big thing of lentils simmered in onion stock and I added mushrooms (all different kinds), shallots, pumpkin seeds, salt & pepper, a little turmeric and added some shredded apple, walnuts and carrot on top. I paired it with a sweet potato. It was delish! :smile:

Mushroom lentil "stew" is one of my favorites. If you eat potatoes you can also use this mushroom/lentil mixture as a base for vegan shepherds pie. :)

(I also base many of my meals around beans/lentils, mushrooms, spinach and berries.)
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2019

GBOMBs is actually a thing made up by Dr. Joel Furhman, a vegan doctor. They are the 'healthiest, anti-cancer foods' according to his books/program. Its been around for a few years now.

Similar but slightly different than Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen, which is another 'super foods' list put together by a vegan doctor.

edit:spelling
  • BoxerBrawler
    Is this from Dr McGregor's new book? Think I heard it from the tv while I was sleeping the other night.

I went plant based back in March (my diet is mainly veg, fruit, beans and grains with small amounts of nuts/seeds so probably similar to yours). I honestly wish I did it forever ago. I think I've never felt better body-wise. I actually stopped calorie counting because it's been so easy to eat at a deficit but feel totally satisfied (for me, not saying everyone would feel this).

I was worried about protein as well. But every time I put my food in chronometer, not only do I hit my protein and all amino acids (including lysine), I'm also hitting almost all other nutrients except b-12 and vit-d. So I don't worry anymore but do spot check.

I'm glad you found something that's working for you. That's the point right? You clearly stated that you aren't trying to push this diet on others.

As far as grocery budget, hell yeah! It is much less expensive to buy dried beans than it is to buy a beef roast. Overall the food I buy now is much cheaper.

Yes! I wish I had started this years ago as well! The feeling not only physically but mentally is quite incredible :smile: I am the same, I keep my eye on B12 but really don't have too. It's amazing to me that at the end of each day my macro's are just spot on, including protein! It makes me think that too many vegetarians and/or vegans are hyper focused on getting their protein. It all works out in the end if you're following the plan appropriately.

• BoxerBrawler
    33gail33 wrote: »

Mushroom lentil "stew" is one of my favorites. If you eat potatoes you can also use this mushroom/lentil mixture as a base for vegan shepherds pie. :)

(I also base many of my meals around beans/lentils, mushrooms, spinach and berries.)

Sounds great! I love lentils and like to use them in a lot of my cooking! I will have to try the stew.
    I love potatoes as well! Thanks!
  • BoxerBrawler

GBOMBs is actually a thing made up by Dr. Joel Furhman, a vegan doctor. They are the 'healthiest, anti-cancer foods' according to his books/program. Its been around for a few years now.

Similar but slightly different than Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen, which is another 'super foods' list put together by a vegan doctor.

edit:spelling

Yes, that's exactly where it came from. It's been around for a while. I don't agree or disagree with all of his information but I know how I feel when I follow the plan and that can't be wrong :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Why call it GBOMB? That's what you did that made it seem like some newfangled plan.

It boils down to you eating a plant based diet and staying in a calorie deficit.

Because that's what it's called. GBOMBS.
    Google it!