Haircuts AFTER weight-loss success stories~Do you luv it or hate it&would u cut all your hair again?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    @LyndaBSS --my granddaughter must be like you were--she has cut her bangs down to the scalp before (& right before school pictures, too!!)

She must be a very good girl, like me. 🙆
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    LeiLaura wrote: »
    I'm about to cut my hair into a bob but, while it's kind of diet related, it's more because all the swimming I've been doing has KILLED my hair... Still looking forward to a change as part of the new me, though I do usually regret a major cut after the novelty wears off!

I always put conditioner in my hair and wear a tight-ish swimming cap when I swim--that helps me hair tremendously, plus I use this shampoo and my hair LOVES it:

https://www.amazon.com/UltraSwim-Dynamic-Repair-Shampoo-Conditioner/dp/B007FMXL52?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Ultraswim-Chlorine-Removal-Moisturizing-Shampoo/dp/B00JGQ4E6K/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=swim+shampoo&qid=1568121593&s=beauty&sr=1-4

Thank you so much - Amazon, here I come! Can I ask if the conditioner comes out on the pool at all? I've tried two caps now, and they both leak the water in. Not sure if they would leak the conditioner out...?

My pleasure! I use 2 disposable plastic shower caps (you know the kind at the beauty shop when they put you under the dryer w/conditioner). Then I use a large head band around them/the very edge and back of my hair, then I use an old school (vintage) swim cap on top of that. If you search ebay, you can find vintage swimcaps. These keep my hair very dry (sometimes not 100% dry, but MUCH dryer than if I didn't do these things). Also, another important tip is to put your swimcap on starting from the back, instead of from the front first. Lastly, look on youtube for terrific ideas on how to swim (even daily) and not destroy your hair. Search under something like "how to keep my hair healthy when swimming" or something like that.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Go to a beauty supply store in a Black neighborhood(or any neighborhood with a BIG wig selection) and try on wigs, they usually sit you down, put on a wig cap and let you try on as many different styles as you'd like. They do have wigs in other neighborhoods, but those seem to have a much larger selection. You can also get a sew in weave in a short style...They will braid down your real hair, and sew in a weave and cut in in your desired style...that can help you decide, without it being permanent...If u already cut it, you can add pieces of hair in, until it grows back.My hair is different every 2 weeks,lol...BUt mostly so I can change my haircolor without damaging my natural hair.Check out youtube and find someone that looks similar to you/face shape,ect..that tries different wigs/styles,ect….
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    I'm about to cut my hair into a bob but, while it's kind of diet related, it's more because all the swimming I've been doing has KILLED my hair... Still looking forward to a change as part of the new me, though I do usually regret a major cut after the novelty wears off!

I always put conditioner in my hair and wear a tight-ish swimming cap when I swim--that helps me hair tremendously, plus I use this shampoo and my hair LOVES it:

https://www.amazon.com/UltraSwim-Dynamic-Repair-Shampoo-Conditioner/dp/B007FMXL52?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Ultraswim-Chlorine-Removal-Moisturizing-Shampoo/dp/B00JGQ4E6K/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=swim+shampoo&qid=1568121593&s=beauty&sr=1-4

Thank you so much - Amazon, here I come! Can I ask if the conditioner comes out on the pool at all? I've tried two caps now, and they both leak the water in. Not sure if they would leak the conditioner out...?

My pleasure! I use 2 disposable plastic shower caps (you know the kind at the beauty shop when they put you under the dryer w/conditioner). Then I use a large head band around them/the very edge and back of my hair, then I use an old school (vintage) swim cap on top of that. If you search ebay, you can find vintage swimcaps. These keep my hair very dry (sometimes not 100% dry, but MUCH dryer than if I didn't do these things). Also, another important tip is to put your swimcap on starting from the back, instead of from the front first. Lastly, look on youtube for terrific ideas on how to swim (even daily) and not destroy your hair. Search under something like "how to keep my hair healthy when swimming" or something like that.

You're a star! Thank you so much!
  • Moxiemama5678
    Moxiemama5678 Posts: 31 Member
    Every time I go short I regret it and just end up growing it out again. I think most women either love it short and leave it, cut it and grow it it continually or just keep it long.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Pepperpony wrote: »
    Every time I go short I regret it and just end up growing it out again. I think most women either love it short and leave it, cut it and grow it it continually or just keep it long.

definitely true. I'm a cut it and grow it continually gal, after about 15 years of keeping it short. Usually I've cut my hair because I missed the random compliments I would get on my short hair!
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    I just cut my hair this week pretty short( I need a new profile pic) and I am loving it. Wish I had done it a long time ago. Very freeing. I still have 20 pounds to go but I think the haircut is ok.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

You're a star! Thank you so much!

It takes one to know one, you fabulous darling you! <3o:)<3
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    rainbowblu wrote: »
    Go to a beauty supply store in a Black neighborhood(or any neighborhood with a BIG wig selection) and try on wigs, they usually sit you down, put on a wig cap and let you try on as many different styles as you'd like. They do have wigs in other neighborhoods, but those seem to have a much larger selection. You can also get a sew in weave in a short style...They will braid down your real hair, and sew in a weave and cut in in your desired style...that can help you decide, without it being permanent...If u already cut it, you can add pieces of hair in, until it grows back.My hair is different every 2 weeks,lol...BUt mostly so I can change my haircolor without damaging my natural hair.Check out youtube and find someone that looks similar to you/face shape,ect..that tries different wigs/styles,ect….

Thanks so much for this tip! {{{{ <3 Hugs <3 }}}}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

definitely true. I'm a cut it and grow it continually gal, after about 15 years of keeping it short. Usually I've cut my hair because I missed the random compliments I would get on my short hair!
    I just cut my hair this week pretty short( I need a new profile pic) and I am loving it. Wish I had done it a long time ago. Very freeing. I still have 20 pounds to go but I think the haircut is ok.

I SO appreciate your posts--thank you ALL so VERY much!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Did you make a decision? Do we get to see pics? :wink:
  • Une_Poire
    Une_Poire Posts: 55 Member
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    I did the complete opposite. I always had my hair short pixie cut for most of my adult life and when I lost most of the weight, I started to let it grow to a layered shoulder length, which I love ! Hubby loves it so much that he is always stressing when I go to the salon, scared that I would go back to short haha :smiley:

Mine is similar. I've been pixie'd more often than not since high school, which was some time ago... I sort of miss the simplicity of the pixie, and it's great for exercise/running to have it that short. Over last few years, I grew it out. I just went bob length and donated some hair for the first time ever. I opted not to go all the way back to a pixie because I have found that a little length makes a huge difference to bedhead for me. As in I can get up and not look like a Barbie doll whose hair has been through the ringer and is standing straight out at odd angles. Matters because I'm on call at night occasionally. No time to fix bad hair! I plan to grow my current bob out to a decent but not super long ponytail length, because I find that even more comfortable than a pixie for running because it's off my neck and face. But I do still miss the wash/fluff/go simplicity of a pixie sometimes.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    I got sick of waiting to lose weight and get fit to get the cut I always wanted so I finally just did it. Never looked back

45ccxz6ofwto.png
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Une_Poire wrote: »
    I did the complete opposite. I always had my hair short pixie cut for most of my adult life and when I lost most of the weight, I started to let it grow to a layered shoulder length, which I love ! Hubby loves it so much that he is always stressing when I go to the salon, scared that I would go back to short haha :smiley:

Mine is similar. I've been pixie'd more often than not since high school, which was some time ago... I sort of miss the simplicity of the pixie, and it's great for exercise/running to have it that short. Over last few years, I grew it out. I just went bob length and donated some hair for the first time ever. I opted not to go all the way back to a pixie because I have found that a little length makes a huge difference to bedhead for me. As in I can get up and not look like a Barbie doll whose hair has been through the ringer and is standing straight out at odd angles. Matters because I'm on call at night occasionally. No time to fix bad hair! I plan to grow my current bob out to a decent but not super long ponytail length, because I find that even more comfortable than a pixie for running because it's off my neck and face. But I do still miss the wash/fluff/go simplicity of a pixie sometimes.

YES it sounds like you know my struggle as well! Pixies and similar short styles are so easy/difficult depending on what you're trying to do. And probably your hair type too. I have thick hair with a lot of cowlicks so for me a pixie was wash & go but to get out of bed and go? I needed to at least stick a LOT of product in...very time consuming actually!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Did you make a decision? Do we get to see pics? :wink:

Yes I did...went to my hairstylist a week ago or so and she REFUSED to cut my hair, she said my hair is gorgeous at the length it is and she loves it and it's NO WAY she will cut my hair at this time. She told me to buy a pixie cut wig and wear it for a couple of months and if I LOVE it, then she will cut my hair. Now let me tell you something, I'm NO "mouse or punk" when it comes to people telling me I can or can't do stuff--I don't play that anymore AT ALL., That said...I know My hairdresser LOVES me and I'm so GLAD/SUPER GRATEFUL/THANKFUL she suggested doing this FIRST (getting/trying wearing a pixie wig FIRST), before I take the "plunge" and get all my locks cut off. So GLAD she said NO! She won't cut it. I showed my hubby the videos I posted here (about cutting my own hair) and My beloved husband says he LOVES my hair so much and he especially loves the length too and said he's GLAD she didn't cut it--and asked me NOT to cut it myself, to try the pixie wig like my wonderful stylist suggested first. She did give me an awesome trim and reshaped my bob something fabulous and gave me a special conditioner/hair treatment and I gotta say...it does look and feel so GOOD at this length (about to my collar bone or so).

Long story short (pun not intended), I'm going to try it...get a pixie wig (even though I've NEVER been a wig person) vs. getting it all cut off. I've read ALL of the comments pro and con and I'm so grateful for them. You girl over here is going to WAIT and in the meantime ABSOLUTELY LOVE my fabulous hair and length as it is now.

Thanks for asking and {{{{ <3 Hugs <3 }}}}

• NewLIFEstyle4ME

I REALLY appreciate these post! Thank you ever so much for your reply. It's AMAZING how super gung-ho I was when I first started this thread to just throw caution to the doggone wind and JUST DO IT....Nope! This is a super old fashioned saying, that is RARELY heard of these days, but here goes...I was ALWAYS taught, "it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind" and I change my lil ole mind. I will get a pixie wig though, just to see if I really want to cut/chop all/most/a LOT of my hair off or no. I LOVE the idea of a pixie wig, I'm only hoping it won't be too hot or something, because I've never been a wig wearer--whatever, it'll be fun to try!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    jayemes wrote: »
    I got sick of waiting to lose weight and get fit to get the cut I always wanted so I finally just did it. Never looked back

45ccxz6ofwto.png

Looks cool and your arms look FAB, just FYI honey--BOOM!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

YES it sounds like you know my struggle as well! Pixies and similar short styles are so easy/difficult depending on what you're trying to do. And probably your hair type too. I have thick hair with a lot of cowlicks so for me a pixie was wash & go but to get out of bed and go? I needed to at least stick a LOT of product in...very time consuming actually!

I don't like that time consuming business...that makes me trying a pixie wig all the more attractive sounding to me!
  • CourierSixx
    CourierSixx Posts: 50 Member
    Go for it. Just find a really good stylist. You could end up hating your cut and it was probably the stylist's fault. I know because I have cut my hair really short since I was in my teens, grow it past my jaw, get sick of it and go cut it again.

My issue now is my mom says I look old with short hair. I am old but sometimes miss the short hair. My hair is past chin length now and I usually curl, put it in pig tails or two small buns just because the hair on my neck annoys me. LOL!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I recently found a stylist who can duplicate any hairstyle I show her a picture of. I always bring a photo of exactly the style I want rather than try to explain it. She's a miracle worker and I'm lucky to have found her. 💟
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!