• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Deadlifts 2x8, 1x6
    Incline dumbbell press 3x12
    Weighted Step ups 3x8 (each leg)
    Seated row 3x10
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @J72FIT, how was your handstand wall hold times affected by having done DB OHP work prior? Thanks for reminder, I want to do some handstand wall holds, it's been a long time.

How many sets did you do of the dead hangs and handstand wall holds and what was your recovery time between sets? Nice job. I did a hang for time yesterday to see where I'm at. I like the feel of a hang. Remember doing weighted hangs long ago. Think I grew an inch.

Also, thanks for the training idea of your jump rope workout. I've been following your effort and you're 45s on and 15s off for multiple rounds falls right in line with how I like to train.

Keep up the good work and keep marching forward!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2019
    @J72FIT, how was your handstand wall hold times affected by having done DB OHP work prior? Thanks for reminder, I want to do some handstand wall holds, it's been a long time.

How many sets did you do of the dead hangs and handstand wall holds and what was your recovery time between sets? Nice job. I did a hang for time yesterday to see where I'm at. I like the feel of a hang. Remember doing weighted hangs long ago. Think I grew an inch.

Also, thanks for the training idea of your jump rope workout. I've been following your effort and you're 45s on and 15s off for multiple rounds falls right in line with how I like to train.

I'm adding weight training back into my routines too (along with the rowing). I need to build strength. I've had a Plyo Box out in my garage now for six months that I hadn't put together because I got it right before I injured my back. Also, my son got me battle ropes for X-Mas. I need to unpack those and figure out where to put them in the new house. I'm considering outside because it's going into Fall here in Tucson and the weather will be fantastic for the next nine months -- perfect for outside workouts. My wife also got me some Adjustable Dumbbells that I've barely used yet. Need to break those bad boys out and start working them too.

When I do lift, my style of lifting is very similar to yours -- mostly heavy KBs and dumbbells and body weight. Not a ton of barbell work. For one, my back can't take barbell work and I like to work out at home so not much room or desire to add in a cage, etc. at my age. Just replace your running (I can't run) with lots of rowing. I just can't lift as heavy yet so I have to be cautious moving forward.

I do need to get a solid hangup bar too and install it in my garage.
  • pierinifitness
    @MikePfirrman, as you may know if you follow my training posts, I train outdoors at a local park despite having been a gym rat for a long time. I enjoy it but winter is more challenging in my part of the world compared to yours. Best older man advice is to start at the bottom with loads and use a progressive resistance approach. I personally favor heavier loads and lower reps with decent recovery time between rounds and get my endurance training from running or lighter load KB complex work. Having flexible shoulders is key. Be safe, have fun and challenge the heck out of yourself.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

The handstand wall holds were part of my warmup. 1 minute each with a couple minutes inbetween where I did some arm circles and other dynamic stretches. Yeah I love the feel of hangs too. My shoulders have never felt better...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Yesterday's TrainerRoad ride that was moved to today: done. 60 minutes of sweet spot training. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 528 Member
    6 mile hike this morning, 131 minutes worth, fighting with 140 pounds of male dogs (two dogs equalling 140 pounds). Great upper body resistance training! lol
  • MikePfirrman
    Same as yesterday -- 27 minutes X 2 sets on the Indoor Rower. A bit early today as it seemed we got a bit of a Cyber attack I would bet. Linkedin, my server and my ATS (applicant tracking system) were all out at the same time. So instead of cursing at the computer, I did my lunch workout at 11 AM instead of 12. Things all seem to be back online now, so back to work!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,969 Member
    Just under 7km rowing the double (in bow as usual), mostly easy steady state, a few power pieces when I felt like we had enough assured clear river that I could worry less about steering (an unpredictable double, a single, and some floating debris were in the picture today).

I think it's amusing to look at HR graphs after the fact; I can correlate the peaks and valleys with events: Major HR drop after about the first 1/4 and before the last 1/4 (spin the boat at each bridge, take a quick water break); steady state after the first spin until we could see around the big curve and know where the other boats were; peaks for the short power pieces after that, pretty evenly spaced until I took us to longer steady state to sort out where the other boats were and get a line to pass the single; a couple more pieces before the 2nd turn (one shortened); steady state back to the dock (including my frequent game of trying to stern-steer neatly through the waterski team's buoy course ;) - don't worry, they don't ski on weekday mornings); then the slowdown to "park" the boat and little wandering around on the dock before I turned off the Garmin.

e2k1c4kdpi4s.png
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    30 min early morning speedwork with my trainer. When she took the weighted vest out of her car I knew it was going to be a tough one, and it was. Hill sprints wearing a weighted vest are hard work.

1.5hrs of steady(ish) state cardio
    11km on the bike
    20 floors on the stair master
    5km on the elliptical
    2.5km on the treadmill

Quick play with a barbell testing my elbow out.

PiYo, still struggling with the idea of balancing on one leg holding the other out straight by the heel. Simply not happening, so next week I'm taking a resistance band to help.
  • pierinifitness
    9/18/2019 - at park late afternoon -

Superset of #1 - weighted alternating pull-ups and chin-ups with 24kg KB x 3 and #2 - full-range bodyweight squats x 10 every 2:30 easy walking during recovery period - completed 10 rounds in 23:04 - per Garmin average HR = 109 bpm (61 percent) maximum HR = 134 bpm (74 percent) total 148 calories.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    And 13 km (8 miles) walked at work today.
    Deadlifts 2x8, 1x6
    Incline dumbbell press 3x12
    Weighted Step ups 3x8 (each leg)
    Seated row 3x10

• Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,112 Member
    1 hour of walking around town.
    20 minutes of HIIT cycling.
    20 minutes of calisthenics/stretching with a resistance band.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Took it a little easy today. 10 minutes of strength training. 30 minutes of soccer practice. Stretching before and after.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    Yesterday, I lifted.
    I did some hangboard hang/pull ups, getting to the second level (out of 3) on my board for the first time. The top level is fingertips only - it will take me a while to reach it

Then I benched (55 kgs, 3 sets of 5) and deadlifted (120kgs, 1 set of 5).
    I finished with some banded facepulls.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Over 16,000 steps.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    51 minute walk at 3.9mph. I'll break 4 one of these days.
  • MikePfirrman
    hmhill17 wrote: »

4.0 was practically my "running" speed, lol. I was a terrible runner, that's why I row now! 3.9 is great for walking!!
  • pierinifitness
    hmhill17 wrote: »

I put time in walking fast walks and learned that it takes total concentration walking fast or I end up back at a slower “whistling Dixie” pace.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Yesterday- 60 minute Krav Maga class
    Today- sprints and silly races with my son (total of 2.5 miles). One race involved “slithering” up our front walkway. I was not good at this and I’m hoping none of the neighbors witnessed it😂