First Crossfit session, any advice?

capriqueen
capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
edited September 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! I am going in for an introductory Crossfit session tomorrow for the first time ever. Anyone have any advice for me? I am kind of battling some sciatic pain. Also, is this ideal to incorporate in a weight loss program? I am looking to lose inches. What did y'all results look like?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Sciatic pain. I wouldn't go without a doctor's approval. Is this your first time out with an exercise/weight loss program. Gentle changes can be just as effective when you're just starting. Don't overdo it.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Sciatic pain. I wouldn't go without a doctor's approval. Is this your first time out with an exercise/weight loss program. Gentle changes can be just as effective when you're just starting. Don't overdo it.

No, I have been working out for about 2 months now. But I am a beginner to Crossfit. Will definitely not overdo it, thank you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Let your trainer know about your issues and concerns. 2 months is still a newbie, so ramp up slowly and be sure your trainer is on board with this. Ditto about getting doctor's ok.
  • Just make sure you use good form. Crossfit is good when done right, but certain things like kipping pullups or high rep deadlifts/clean and presses in a circuit are a recipe for injury IMHO.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    I’ve been doing CrossFit for about 1 1/2 years. It is great for me. I went from total couch potato to CrossFit 5 times a week. Lost 106 pounds in this time- changed eating habits of course but the CrossFit workouts sparked the eating changes- not the other way around!
    - be very straight with the coaches. Explain your goals- long and short term. Tell them about your sciatica and any other health issues no matter how insignificant you might think they are.
    - Truly leave your ego at the door! Don’t think “I can do the same as the others.” CrossFit is a sport that takes practice. If you were training for running you wouldn’t expect to run a marathon in three hours the first time out.
    - Don’t be afraid to scale. ask the coach to guide your scaling.
    - You will be sore. I was unbelievably sore because of my bad fitness going in. Buy a foam roller and use it. I hadn’t used some of the muscles involved for years.
    - Remember that most people in the session appreciate the effort- not the “score.” They’d rather see a fellow athlete use good form and lift light or finish last than be a mess with a stupid high weight.
    - Give it a few tries. My gym let me have three free sessions and then gave a discounted first month.
    - Enjoy it! It is fun in a strange sort of way.

Good luck!