Smoothies for weight loss with no almond milk!

lpomeroylaw
lpomeroylaw Posts: 5 Member
Hi all, would appreciate your recipes for smoothies (I’m trying to lose weight), but here’s the kicker: I need to avoid unsweetened almond milk and dairy also. In addition no bananas or pineapple. This seems to be a challenge for me as everything I’ve found to date is either almond milk cow milk or coconut milk, none of which work for me. Help! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lpomeroylaw
    lpomeroylaw Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you! Curious about your reply: why can’t smoothies be used for weight loss? Or why are smoothies not for weight loss?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    They can be used if you log all ingredients correctly and they help keep you in a calorie deficit.

Try water instead of milk.
  • dulcejimenez144
    dulcejimenez144 Posts: 21 Member
    Thank you! Curious about your reply: why can’t smoothies be used for weight loss? Or why are smoothies not for weight loss?

Anything can be used for weight loss, as long as you are staying at a calorie deficit by the end of the day. Just drinking a smoothie a day does not guarantee weight loss, unless you stay at a calorie deficit. Only a calorie deficit guarantees weight loss.

That being said, you should come up with an idea of how many calories you want to spend on a smoothie. I'd love to help you come up with some ideas after you come up with a number.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Soy milk? Hemp milk? Oat milk? Rice milk? Water and protein powder?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Water is a good choice. Juice?
    Smoothies can be high calorie.
    As others stated, a calorie deficit is the only criteria for weight loss.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    I tend to use fresh juice for smoothies as not a fan of the creaminess of plant milk in them. Also frozen fruit is great for texture. Also add on spinach or if your feeling brave kale and I use unflavoured pea protein powder too. Add some flax or chia and of you want to bulk it out add oats
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    I am allergic to tree nuts and sensitive to dairy...I made my smoothie today with, water, egg whites, 48 grams cooked oatmeal mix, spinach, beets, apple, blueberry, mango and protein powder. My Oatmeal mix, I make once a week, 2 cups water, 85 grams oats, 15 g chia seeds, 15 g flaxseeds, then I save in tupperware and measure 48 grams. I vary each color, try for two veggies. A little over 400 calories.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    I like to chew my food as I find liquids less satiating.
    Delicious, but I need the experience of chewing to get my brain and stomach to chat, & properly register that I’ve eaten and send appropriate ‘full’ vibes.
    Just me.
    But for me, smoothies suck for ‘weight loss’ purposes, when I’m looking to maximize good stuff: kCals ratio & to get my brain to stop telling me I ‘need more food.’
    Liquefying stuff is a great way to make it super easy to power down.
    That’s not what I need when I’m cutting.
    But... just me.
  • dcowart4
    dcowart4 Posts: 1 Member
    Delicious, but I need the experience of chewing to get my brain and stomach to chat, & properly register that I’ve eaten and send appropriate ‘full’ vibes.
    Just me.
    But for me, smoothies suck for ‘weight loss’ purposes, when I’m looking to maximize good stuff: kCals ratio & to get my brain to stop telling me I ‘need more food.’
    But... just me.

I'm totally with you! Liquids do not satiate me, I'm starving within an hour. A smoothie/shake works only as a snack or a desert. [And I don't use dairy or banana's —the original question— but I do use chocolate flavored whey protein, I put in a vitamix 2 cups of frozen berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries), 1 scoop of chocolate flavored protein powder, 0.5 oz roasted almonds, 1.25 cups of chilled water and blend: it makes 2 big shakes together about 275 calories. Even though it's a fair amount of bulk, you are hungry in no time.]
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    dcowart4 wrote: »
    Just me.
    But... just me.

I'm totally with you! Liquids do not satiate me, I'm starving within an hour. A smoothie/shake works only as a snack or a desert. [And I don't use dairy or banana's —the original question— but I do use chocolate flavored whey protein, I put in a vitamix 2 cups of frozen berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries), 1 scoop of chocolate flavored protein powder, 0.5 oz roasted almonds, 1.25 cups of chilled water and blend: it makes 2 big shakes together about 275 calories. Even though it's a fair amount of bulk, you are hungry in no time.]

Whey protein is dairy.
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 343 Member
    I find I am too hungry after a smoothie for it to be an effective meal replacement on a routine basis and find I feel fuller if I were just eat the ingredients on their own (slower digestion time) so have them when I am pinched for time.

I use: ice; frozen or fresh fruit: (strawberries and maybe some blueberries, or mango, peach); raw whole egg or egg white depending on macros for the day; kale (stems removed) or spinach, collagen or protein powder (usually unflavored or vanilla), pysillum (for fiber); sweetener depending on fruit (usually use splenda as have a huge box of it from costco); water or sometimes water/juice mix depending on calories/fruit to fill container. Can add flax seed or nuts as well. (I usually weigh ingredients and adjust quantities based on needs for the day)

I try not to blend it (this is with a vitamin) so that it is completely smooth so that there is still some fiber benefit. Higher fat content helps with feeling fuller longer too (at least for me)
  • I just started the 10 day smoothie/detox challenge!