• mindyrenee1981
    mindyrenee1981 Posts: 3 Member
    Feel free to add me as well.

SW: 258
    CW: 251
    GW:150( will re-evaluate from there)
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    i don't see an option to add anyone as a friend...i have to be doing something wrong...lol... I'm looking for new MFP buddies!
  • wlsqueenbee
    wlsqueenbee Posts: 1 Member
    HW 402
    SW 384
    CW 285
    GW 185 or less

Surgery was 3/6/2019 This is a a tough journey. Just had 6 month followup. Everyone happy with progress. could use a few friends to help keep me focused and logging my food. say I should be eating 1400 calories and gave me a food group break down to take home. I am here for anyone who needs a friend, hoping you'll be my friend as well.
  • stefsc1
    stefsc1 Posts: 77 Member
    SW 397.7
    CW 328
    GW 164

I'm 5½ months in and have lost 70 pounds so far. I did this before in 2014 and lost 77 pounds before feeling like it was unsustainable and stopping. Determined to do better this time, but I deleted all my friends when I came back because I worried I wouldn't be as honest with myself (logging foods and recording weigh-ins) if I felt like people were watching. I'm in the groove again now though and would love to get some friends on here again!
  • RemoteWilderness
    RemoteWilderness Posts: 29 Member
    Please friend me! I would love to have more friends to support!
    SW: 336
    CW: 324
    GW: 180
  • kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    Ultimately I have 100lbs to lose too. I just started on Monday, so my current weight and starting weight are the same. I don’t own a scale because I would be way too obsessed with the numbers and I’d be a mess. I am only going to weigh myself once a month, seeing a bigger number than I would weekly really motivates me.

SW 240
    CW 240
    GW 135

I also just had 2 surgeries on my cervical spine 8 weeks ago, so exercise other than walking short distances is not an option right now and probably won’t be for another 4 months, so I’m relying on diet alone till then. I really hope I’m not setting myself up for failure by starting now, but I cannot stand to have this weight on me for one more second let alone 4 more months! On the advice of my Dr, I’m starting out very low calorie (800-1000) until I can exercise again. I thought it would be impossible and I’d be starving and miserable, but so far so good. Writing out my diary 4/5 days ahead is really helping me so far. I am excited to meet others to share tips and tricks and advice!
  • jahpiano
    jahpiano Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone. Started first week of my diet on Monday. SW of 300 and looking to get down to GW of 215, which was my weight in college about 25 years ago. Seems like the majority are women here but I'm a 6'2" male who's worked a desk job for years.

I try to stay moderately active with tennis (currently once a week) and walking but it's getting harder as I get older. Knees have started to give me more problems, but hoping that will improve with lost weight. I also want to do more physical activities with my 3 growing boys.

I've dropped 30 pounds a couple of times but I seem to stall at that point and need motivation to continue the weight loss journey. Calorie counting has been the best method for my weight loss so hoping MFP will work well for me.

Cheers
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Jahpiano there is a group called Larger Losers that you might be interested in....so much helpful and insightful tips !...it’s at the bottom of the groups page....
  • kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

@kiddycat73

I am a little concerned that you may still be healing and now on a very low calorie diet. Those two things do not go together. You should probably get your doctor to refer you to a registered dietitian since doctors are not normally trained in nutrition and a dietitian is.

The difference between a 1200 calorie diet which is the minimum safe nutrition line for women and a 800 calorie diet over 4 months is about 12.8 pounds of loss. The risks of getting that extra 13ish pounds though may be substantial if it interferes with your healing.

You should also know that some people experience a honeymoon phase when they first enter weight loss where far fewer calories are satisfying. If you are not careful though and manage yourself it could lead to a binge-type overfeed. I have done that myself many times.

You don't need exercise to lose weight so it can definitely be done.

Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself.
    @NovusDies
    Thank you so much for saying that, I needed to hear it. As a nurse I KNOW 800 calories a day is not safe OR sustainable long term, but I was excited by the thought of dropping a bunch in 4 months. Seeing that the difference is basically only 13lbs, I decided to up my intake to the 1200 suggested and although I felt ok at 800 I felt GREAT at 1200 yesterday!
  • erinlane93
    erinlane93 Posts: 170 Member
    Hi :)
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    kiddycat73 wrote: »
    Ultimately I have 100lbs to lose too. I just started on Monday, so my current weight and starting weight are the same. I don’t own a scale because I would be way too obsessed with the numbers and I’d be a mess. I am only going to weigh myself once a month, seeing a bigger number than I would weekly really motivates me.

SW 240
    CW 240
    GW 135

I also just had 2 surgeries on my cervical spine 8 weeks ago, so exercise other than walking short distances is not an option right now and probably won’t be for another 4 months, so I’m relying on diet alone till then. I really hope I’m not setting myself up for failure by starting now, but I cannot stand to have this weight on me for one more second let alone 4 more months! On the advice of my Dr, I’m starting out very low calorie (800-1000) until I can exercise again. I thought it would be impossible and I’d be starving and miserable, but so far so good. Writing out my diary 4/5 days ahead is really helping me so far. I am excited to meet others to share tips and tricks and advice!

You need to do what's right for you but weighing in monthly does come with it's own pitfalls, risks and problems that you need to be aware and cautious of.

Going a month between weigh ins is a long time to go with no feedback to let you know if you're on the right track. Weighing in daily or weekly will pretty quickly reveal if you're making a miscalculation or mistake that is slowing or even reversing your progress which allows for adjustments to be made before too much damage is done. With a monthly weigh in these problems will go on undetected and unaddressed for much longer.

It's something to consider particularly if, as you have mentioned, you're motivated by the large number drops. How will you react if after a month of effort, a miscalculation, mistake or ineffective approach sees very little progress on the scale? or none? or a gain?

The scales are an invaluable tool in the process giving you information and feedback you can use to better achieve your goals. Perhaps, rather than avoiding them you can speak with a professional to get help dealing with the obsessive behaviour instead of trying to avoid/ignore it?

G'luck
  • na44
    na44 Posts: 5 Member
    ALL - This is my first MFP post in about...10 years. I'm finally ready to lose my 100 lbs. It just feels different this time. I am open to the idea of being involved in the community, but I can be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of people and posts. I would like my efforts to be meaningful for me and for those I am in contact with. I think I am mostly looking for a team. A small group of people who become important to each other and who can really commit to the team. I'm not even sure if this is a good place to post this request, but it seemed like the thread that might most likely fit what I was looking for. I'm not sure the best way to accomplish this or if anyone is interested. Let me know. I am even thinking perhaps we take the small group off of the MFP to texting or some other form of contact that is a little more personal.

A few things about me -

* 38, female, Utah
    * 5'6", 246 lbs
    * Goal is: 145 lbs-150lbs-ish
    * I work as an accountant at a University.
    * I'm going to school for my Master's at night.
    * Married, 1 teenage stepson lives with us 100% of the time.
    * 1 Golden Retriver/Irish Setter mix
    * I love food, cooking, gardening.
    * I like to spend time in the mountains.
    * I am striving to track all my meals.
    * Weights - MWF
    * Bike/Elliptical - TuTh
    * Long Walk & Yoga - SatSu
    * I can't weigh-in every week. It creates disordered eating behaviors.
    * Weigh-in every 6 weeks.
    * No firm date to finish my weight loss, but within 3 years when I am finished with my Master's seems nice.