In your 60’s

Replies

• PurpleSims
    PurpleSims Posts: 2 Member
    is it free to link MFP to my fitbit or do they charge for that?
  • 13ilgal413
    13ilgal413 Posts: 10 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    13ilgal413 wrote: »
    Question for the group: When you attend a function that has a display of appetizers, how do you log what you've eaten?

log it as "quick add calories

I haven't even noticed the option for "quick add calories". That seems like the thing to do. I'll check it out. Thanks!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    @PurpleSims--it is free
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    @alteredsteve175 beautiful dog!! I have 6, With the cooler weather, I started walking again, as opposed to the dog park. Some of my dogs are seniors so can't walk far but my youngest can walk for miles. This morning I got little over 11,000 steps just from walking! I love my step plus class I go to tuesday's & Thursday's but I also love Eleanor my newest dog (February), She's a GSD & LOVES to go out. She loves the dog park where I take them all in the mornings but there's dog clicks there, lol & she doesn't have anyone to play & run with. She also goes to a private park (just her) in the evenings & she's made friends she plays with SO.... I'm skipping gym class to take her. They close at 7 & gym class is over at 6:30. Only a crazy dog person like me would do this but it warms my heart how happy she is. She lived tied to a chain before I got her
  • Evamutt
    I'd like to share about the appetizers... I take my disabled client to a Bible study for ppl with disabillites once a week & there's always goodies, not full meals but cookies, cheese, crackers etc. I usually eat before I go & pass them up otherwise it might be hard to stop. Sometimes I take popcorn or my yogurt for me besides taking something for everyone to share or I'll make something I can eat too. I know it's not a "function" & know what you mean. I also go to a Bible group once a month where it's always a potluck. I usually eat my dinner there & eat things I normally wouldn't but it's only once a month but I don't overdo it or I'll feel sick. I think if it's once in a while it's ok
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    edited September 2019
    That's a really cute puppy @alteredsteve175. We rescued a great dog from the shelter who was going to be put down in 2011 and she's my best walking buddy ever. I think she might be my last puppy and we're enjoying every minute with her that we have.

@Evamutt, I can't imagine having 6 dogs, you're a saint! The most we've ever had at one time is 2.............LOL but I've had dogs since I was a child. Man's best friend is no joke!

I agree that the once in awhile splurge is okay.............I just did that Saturday at a dinner with friends we have every couple of months, rotating houses. Everyone always goes all out cooking for the group and it feels like it would be rude to bring something else to eat in that situation. Like you though, if it's just appetizers, or something similar, I may not indulge and will bring food with me to share or just skip the tempting taste treats.

I mentioned the kitchen floor situation last week...........so stressful with trying to get out of here on Thursday but I think we at least have a start on getting it fixed although it's definitely going to cost us some money. Insurance will pay for the damage to the tile but we have to pay for the repairs.

Our insurance company sent someone to look at the water under our tile in the kitchen and they're saying it's not a water pipe leak but a septic pipe leak from the kitchen sink. There's probably a crack in the cast iron pipe but luckily it's not leaking very much..................yuck. Anyway, they'll have to lift the tile, jack hammer down to the leak, and then repair it and resurface the concrete and then re-tile. If they can't save the tile, or if the pipe needs to be completely replaced then they'll have to re-tile the kitchen, the dining room, the laundry room and 1/2 bath. Unfortunately, the tile matches the tile in our other 2 bathrooms so I'm not sure what to do about that. Try to get close I guess. I wouldn't mind having all new kitchen flooring though..............LOL

It's gonna be a mess when I get back from CO but we'll turn the water off to the house while we're gone so there won't be any further damage.

Got Penny Lane (my sweet poochie) out this morning for a couple of miles and will try to get to the gym in the morning but I'm not going to stress over it if I don't make it. I still have a lot to do to get out of here on Thursday morning.

Hope you're all having a great week!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Great story, @fitlulu4150. Very inspirational!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    BTW, and I know this is kind of long-winded but maybe it will inspire someone else here to keep going. Today was my 6 year anniversary here at MFP......lots of ups and downs but this will give you some idea of my journey. Don't forget that I'm 69 and generally the oldest one of most groups..............LOL

"This is my 6 year anniversary here at MFP (Most of that time I was recognized as luluinca until I had a crazy stalker and had to sign up under a new name last year).

I joined because of a suggestion from my doctor who thought I needed to lose weight. She was right……….LOL I’d just survived an 18 month illness (most of 2012 and part of 2013) that first caused me to lose weight very rapidly (35 lbs in 10 weeks) and then eventually gain about 45 lbs eating things that settled my stomach, pudding, ice cream, cream soups, bread with butter, etc. You get the picture.

Anyway, I had already started swimming in our back yard the summer of 2013 and joined the gym in September to continue swimming. I have a bad back with 3 herniated disks and a degenerative tail bone so figured swimming was my best bet to burn calories and I’ve been swimming my entire life so that was a safe place for me.

I remember looking out from the pool into the gym proper and really wanted to do more. I hired a trainer, they called her Doc, because she dealt with injuries and old people, LOL. Over the year I worked with Serena, she basically helped me live with my back, helped me lose 45 lbs, inspired me to begin lifting some iron and told me I worked harder than most of her 40 year old clients. Who can’t respond to that?

The following year she turned me over to her buddy at the gym, a former Marine, who made me fall in love with lifting weights. We worked together for another year and over those months I lost another 15 lbs, so a total of 60 if you’re counting.

Since that year I’ve had my ups and downs, gaining strength, losing strength due to injuries (I’ve had so many injuries) but have always come back to the gym to start again. My weight goes up and down within about 10 lbs and right now I’m at the lower end of that. I’ll never be skinny though………..I prefer to be strong!

I love going to the gym and building strength but am also mindful of my calories and macros. I’ve never really tried a fad diet since I’ve been here, although I’ve done a number of them previously. I’m happy eating healthy foods, a variety of foods, cooking nice meals and enjoying the occasional splurge. We’re all human after all!

I encourage all of you to find both your happy place food wise and exercise wise……………It doesn’t need to be perfect, but it needs to be healthy for you and your goals.

Thank you for all the support you’ve given me over the last 6 years! On any given day I’m both the oldest person here in my group of friends, and even at the gym, but remember, age is just a number and my cardiologist recently told me I have the heart and lungs of a much younger person! You can do that too!

Love you all!"

I have found my "happy" places. One of them is walking which has been made happy by successful hip replacements and rehab which has allowed me to walk again with a degree of fervor! My other happy place is in pools at fitness where I basically transferred my continuing PT exercise to and walk with the water acting as resistance. Sooner or later, I will swim again. I'm not unable or unwilling to swim. I've just been super focused on these other things. My third (really) happy place is their hot tub which I can relax in for a few minutes before or after exercise.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,239 Member
    Wow your all so inspiring and positive with the ups and downs. Take care everyone!
  • annliz23
    Evamutt wrote: »
    @alteredsteve175 beautiful dog!! I have 6, With the cooler weather, I started walking again, as opposed to the dog park. Some of my dogs are seniors so can't walk far but my youngest can walk for miles. This morning I got little over 11,000 steps just from walking! I love my step plus class I go to tuesday's & Thursday's but I also love Eleanor my newest dog (February), She's a GSD & LOVES to go out. She loves the dog park where I take them all in the mornings but there's dog clicks there, lol & she doesn't have anyone to play & run with. She also goes to a private park (just her) in the evenings & she's made friends she plays with SO.... I'm skipping gym class to take her. They close at 7 & gym class is over at 6:30. Only a crazy dog person like me would do this but it warms my heart how happy she is. She lived tied to a chain before I got her

Wow 6 dogs you are amazing!
  • annliz23
    That's a really cute puppy @alteredsteve175. We rescued a great dog from the shelter who was going to be put down in 2011 and she's my best walking buddy ever. I think she might be my last puppy and we're enjoying every minute with her that we have.

@Evamutt, I can't imagine having 6 dogs, you're a saint! The most we've ever had at one time is 2.............LOL but I've had dogs since I was a child. Man's best friend is no joke!

I agree that the once in awhile splurge is okay.............I just did that Saturday at a dinner with friends we have every couple of months, rotating houses. Everyone always goes all out cooking for the group and it feels like it would be rude to bring something else to eat in that situation. Like you though, if it's just appetizers, or something similar, I may not indulge and will bring food with me to share or just skip the tempting taste treats.

I mentioned the kitchen floor situation last week...........so stressful with trying to get out of here on Thursday but I think we at least have a start on getting it fixed although it's definitely going to cost us some money. Insurance will pay for the damage to the tile but we have to pay for the repairs.

Our insurance company sent someone to look at the water under our tile in the kitchen and they're saying it's not a water pipe leak but a septic pipe leak from the kitchen sink. There's probably a crack in the cast iron pipe but luckily it's not leaking very much..................yuck. Anyway, they'll have to lift the tile, jack hammer down to the leak, and then repair it and resurface the concrete and then re-tile. If they can't save the tile, or if the pipe needs to be completely replaced then they'll have to re-tile the kitchen, the dining room, the laundry room and 1/2 bath. Unfortunately, the tile matches the tile in our other 2 bathrooms so I'm not sure what to do about that. Try to get close I guess. I wouldn't mind having all new kitchen flooring though..............LOL

It's gonna be a mess when I get back from CO but we'll turn the water off to the house while we're gone so there won't be any further damage.

Got Penny Lane (my sweet poochie) out this morning for a couple of miles and will try to get to the gym in the morning but I'm not going to stress over it if I don't make it. I still have a lot to do to get out of here on Thursday morning.

Hope you're all having a great week!

Hope everything gets sorted with your kitchen!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Good for all of you who have taken in shelter dogs, as well <3o:) . I have had mixed results doing that. Some have made fine companions, but some have had issues that I was unable to correct. The last shelter dog was an escape artist, along with a nasty habit of unprovoked attacks on other dogs. More than I was willing to deal with on a long term basis.
  • Evamutt
    @fitlulu4150 thank you for sharing that, it's good to know where we're all coming from. I always have to get my mind in a good calm state before I walk my dogs because in the early 90's I got a dog, as a puppy & as she grew she became very aggressive towards other dogs (not her pack at home) just on seeing dogs on walks. I took her to dog training class & the trainer said she wanted to kill dogs. I grew up with dogs & have never seen a dog that aggressive & never thought about aggressive dogs. When she was 2, she aggressively growled at our oldest son, so we found her another home with an experienced dog person but it impacted my life so much that I was afraid to walk my dogs for the next 10yrs! I always needed another person to walk with me, or I took them out on my bike. My knees would literally shake if I saw a loose dog from afar. Then I discovered The Dog Whisperer & implemented what he taught, about thinking about a person I respect & putting that attitude in my mind, controlling my thoughts, walking with shoulders back with my head up-body language. Walking out the door first & mostly not treating them as my "babies" but asking for respect(never hitting or having anger, but confidence) & learning to communicate more like a dog so they understand. It changed my life with them & with ppl too. It does not involve any kind of harm or meanness, on the contrary, it turned into mutual respect & I got closer to my dogs than when they were my babies( giving them nothing but affection & no discipline ) & I humanized them. After that my fear began to fade but a small part lingers in the back of my mind, more so when I'm tired. I've seen the 3 big dogs down the street run out & attack a little dog & didn't see but they attacked my friends dog who almost died. They killed some cats too so I carry a taser, don't walk down their street & keep my eyes open. sorry this is so long. There are other trainers who are like him & I read several books too over the years. I get compliments how well my dogs are behaved & I can take them anywhere. I'm sad that now a days ppl & positive ONLY trainers bash him & others like him, it's as if I were saying a political statement that everyone hates, the way they criticize so I don't say much. I & I'm sure everyone here disciplines ourselves to live healthier & happier not just go with what our feelings want at the moment, sorry again for going on. I want to start walking more again so this has been on my mind, to go without fear
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    We've never had anything but shelter or rescue dogs and did have a bit of trouble with two of them at first but I'm a firm believer in training classes and we have a really good facility here. The man who runs it even took my trouble maker home with him for two weeks to help me get her under control. My current dog, Penny Lane, is a sweetheart and really the best dog we've ever had and we've had some great ones. She did really well with training and is a very obedient walker for me. She even walked next to me backwards one time when we had a little yappy nasty dog following us home. She wasn't aggressive but I felt like she was trying to protect me by not letting him get too close..............LOL

Taking off for CO in the morning to visit both my son and daughter's families and my two grandsons, 13 and almost 2. I'll check back in next week to see how you're all doing! Have a great weekend while the nice weather holds still!
  • annliz23
    We've never had anything but shelter or rescue dogs and did have a bit of trouble with two of them at first but I'm a firm believer in training classes and we have a really good facility here. The man who runs it even took my trouble maker home with him for two weeks to help me get her under control. My current dog, Penny Lane, is a sweetheart and really the best dog we've ever had and we've had some great ones. She did really well with training and is a very obedient walker for me. She even walked next to me backwards one time when we had a little yappy nasty dog following us home. She wasn't aggressive but I felt like she was trying to protect me by not letting him get too close..............LOL

Taking off for CO in the morning to visit both my son and daughter's families and my two grandsons, 13 and almost 2. I'll check back in next week to see how you're all doing! Have a great weekend while the nice weather holds still!

Have a lovely time!
  • annliz23
    Sorry a long one
    I think I attract problem cases, I had s cocker spaniel when I was growing up loved him to bits but a nightmare to walk, pulled, barked at other dogs he used to escape attacked the milkman but in those days you just coped, then I had a border collie for 18 months he destroyed the house and garden went through a wall pulled up trees but became jealous of the children and had a go at my baby son so I had to re-home him then I went on to rescue cats (husband would not let me have another dog) 18 years ago I finally a rescue Jack Russel we bit my daughter and they said no-one had been able to house train him but we tried, a week later he was house trained and although it took a year to get him used to other dogs and people although he was never good with small children he was amazing sadly he passed away two years ago aged 16. My first poodle was 10 weeks old when we got her I thought great a blank canvas but she was a shaking mess scared of everything the first walk a staffy ran at her and bit her , everytime we went out something ran at her aggressively so I took her to training classes she used go hide under the chair the trainers dog took a dislike to her to and also had a go at her, now after a lot of work she is ok but still very nervous and doesnt like other dogs and to be honest I dont fully trust her with small children the trainer says she has anxiety aggression. My other poodle is just bouncy. My cats are crazy rescue cats one with a heart condition and the other a scardy cat but I love them all to pieces.
  • I have had animals in my life since I was four. Last December, the last of my pets (an 18 yr. old cat) died and I've decided not to have any more pets, as it wouldn't be fair to them, since I'm in hospital so much. My home feels incredibly empty now. I've had to make do with feeding stray cats, birds, squirrels, raccoons, a skunk and an opossum. It's just not the same though. :(
  • annliz23
    I have had animals in my life since I was four. Last December, the last of my pets (an 18 yr. old cat) died and I've decided not to have any more pets, as it wouldn't be fair to them, since I'm in hospital so much. My home feels incredibly empty now. I've had to make do with feeding stray cats, birds, squirrels, raccoons, a skunk and an opossum. It's just not the same though. :(

My friend cant have animals as her husband is allergic to them so she goes to the rescue centre and walks the rescue dogs once a week!
  • 13ilgal413
    13ilgal413 Posts: 10 Member
    So many inspirational stories here. Keeps me motivated. Thanks to all for sharing!! Have a great Friday! Off to walk, then to Zumbaaaaaaaa. :smiley: