Body fat %

I’m cutting right now and I’ve done 3 scans, two were of the same type and told I was 16.3% BF. I took one at golds gym today and it told me I was 10.7%. I’m not sure if I believe that one. Tell me what you guys think I am? bcvt66oe1epo.jpeg
4x1mb76gxxhn.jpeg

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I'm riding the scan train like you and am scheduled to have my third one this year later this month.

You look great. I'm tossing out the Gold Gym's one and say you're closer to your previous scans. Keep up your good work and keep marching forward!
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    At a very rough guess 16-18% bf
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »

This is what I thought also.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »

This is what I thought also.

I think that's correct too. FWIW, ultimately there are photo collections out there for various size people and they show the general look of body fat percentages - all the way from 4-5% up to 40% or so and everything in between. I think those are far better to compare with than a machine with all of its idiosyncrasies.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    I'd say 15–18%.

Also as an aside, interestingly enough it's best to lay off the mouthwash post-workout

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190903111242.htm
  • andrew_1982_
    andrew_1982_ Posts: 1 Member
    15 to 20 I’d say your know when your 10%
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited September 2019
    You look good but (and I'm sure you don't want to hear it) but I'm guessing closer to 20 than 15 based on the oblique rolls indicating a higher VAT.

I've measured 8% BF w/hydro at 1x and you know it when you see it Never measured below 12% using DEXA w/o any "love handles" and last measured 15% w/DEXA w/the same V shaped profile and more,ab dfn which frankly was very disconcerting but hydo always measures lower than DEXA 4me.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

He's asking about BF%, not BMI. Two completely different things.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Agree with the others, around 16%

You look great right now man, unless you're prepping for a show or photo shoot no need you're already "Ho ready" ;)

The BF scanners are never accurate, my understanding is that they just scan water levels no real way to estimate muscle to fat ratio... If you workout in the AM as soon as you get there do a scan... drink your 1.5 liters of water while you workout and then do a scan when you're done... see the difference in results.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Just stumbled across this video and thought of this discussion thread so decided to post this person's BF percentage test results on the same day using two methods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMCcHFIArOk