September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    0920-5k total 33.5k goal-110k

Shakeout run this morning. Felt harder than it was supposed to be.

@quilteryoyo That's really good news!
    @shanaber Great race and great report!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    @quilteryoyo outstanding news!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    kirstymn wrote: »
    @Avidkeo I don't have a spa anymore, but we did at one of my old houses about 10 years ago. From what I remember the maintenance was fairly straight forward and I think you can program the cleaning cycles to a certain time of day so it won't bother you starting up during the night. It was quite noisy if you have the jets going, but if you're just soaking then it was great. The biggest downside was the power bill, from what I recall it added about $150-200 per month depending on the time of year - this was for a 6-8 person size.

Eep that's a lot of power.

I admit as it's going to cost so much I'm leaning away from a spa, but I think hubby really wants one. Unusual for him to want something so extravagant
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    As some of you may remember, I posted about 6 months ago that I had found out I have an aortic root aneurysm that they were going to check again to see if it had grown. Well, I had my scan last week and saw the doctor for the results today. He said that it had not grown and was stable, so we'll check it again in a year! Great news. He also said that I was not overweight and looked to be in really good health, so that was good. I just have to keep my blood pressure under control and not lift anything really heavy, like a car - or bench press 300 pounds. I think I'm safe there. LOL So, this is a great motivation to continue running this go around and not let other things become a higher priority than my health. I also have a bicuspid aortic valve they are keeping an eye on, as they tend to have stenosis faster than a normal valve. It does have some stenosis already and, as far as I know, there is nothing to stop that. He said if I ever need to have one of the issues fixed, they'll just do them both at the same time. Hopefully everything will continue to work as designed.

That's excellent news!!!

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2019
    143tobe wrote: »
    Since I felt so amazing on Wednesday after my run, I was really looking forward to getting in another (shorter) run in on Thursday. Well I woke up with a headache and feeling pretty listless. My resting heart rate which is normally 60, was 48 and that is even after having two cups of coffee and walking my dog. So other than walking my dog twice and walking to and from work, I was forced to take a rest day. This morning I have the same headache and my pulse is again, only 48. It's Friday, so I don't think I will make it in to the doctor, but it concerns me. I am very sensitive to any changes in my heart and I am feeling something is off. It could be an electrolyte or vitamin deficiency but which one?? I already try to get everything balanced out. So not sure how today or this weekend is going to go. I had a long run planned for Saturday but now I have no idea what's going to happen. I'm not going to worry about it though. I've somehow learned not to obsess over things that I just don't have control over and to let it go if things don't go as planned. All I do hope is for my body to just feel normal and good again! My last long run went so well! I really wanted to see if I could get a repeat performance this weekend!

It could just be that you’ve been running more. My resting heart rate was 72 before I started running, went to 60 when I started running regularly, and went to 48 when I started running longer distances. Headaches don’t sound fun, but a slow heart rate is common in runners. Hope you feel better soon!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Since I felt so amazing on Wednesday after my run, I was really looking forward to getting in another (shorter) run in on Thursday. Well I woke up with a headache and feeling pretty listless. My resting heart rate which is normally 60, was 48 and that is even after having two cups of coffee and walking my dog. So other than walking my dog twice and walking to and from work, I was forced to take a rest day. This morning I have the same headache and my pulse is again, only 48. It's Friday, so I don't think I will make it in to the doctor, but it concerns me. I am very sensitive to any changes in my heart and I am feeling something is off. It could be an electrolyte or vitamin deficiency but which one?? I already try to get everything balanced out. So not sure how today or this weekend is going to go. I had a long run planned for Saturday but now I have no idea what's going to happen. I'm not going to worry about it though. I've somehow learned not to obsess over things that I just don't have control over and to let it go if things don't go as planned. All I do hope is for my body to just feel normal and good again! My last long run went so well! I really wanted to see if I could get a repeat performance this weekend!

It could just be that you’ve been running more. My resting heart rate was 72 before I started running, went to 60 when I started running regularly, and went to 48 when I started running longer distances. Headaches don’t sound fun, but a slow heart rate is common in runners. Hope you feel better soon!

Low heart resting rate (min is below 50 also) is a good thing for an athlete, but the rest of her symptoms AND the dramatic unexpected drop are concerning. I would agree she should see a doctor. Probably nothing, but worth a check.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Now to fit it in to my schedule. I have a trail half marathon tomorrow, which I plan on racing fairly hard, then this race two weeks from Sunday. The following weekend I'm registered for another trail HM on Saturday and a 12 hour trail race on Sunday. I had been considering dropping that half down to a 5K and now that's a certainty. I briefly thought about skipping it but I want the shirt, the course is through a beautiful state park, and the church ladies who put this on have a wonderful bake sale at the finish. Oh, and they serve homemade soup and bread after the race. I'll drop to 5K, but I'll try to take it easy and make it a warm up race for the next day's attempt at 50 miles.

It will cost me an additional $22.50 to transfer down to the 5K since I got in at such a low price for the HM and now have to pay the difference, plus transfer fee. Not sure it's worth that much to me. Might get my shirt, eat my soup and bread, and leave.

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member

Low heart resting rate (min is below 50 also) is a good thing for an athlete, but the rest of her symptoms AND the dramatic unexpected drop are concerning. I would agree she should see a doctor. Probably nothing, but worth a check.

I agree. I’d recommend pushing to get into the doc. Maybe even an urgent care visit if the doc isn’t available.