Did you ever watch the “Biggest Loser?”

I remember watching the show and being amazed at the weight loss as a season progressed the losses were less dramatic. Sometimes they would lose 1 or two pounds rather than 10 to 15 in a week. That’s crazy. I lost 3 ounces in two weeks, a total of 3 1/2 pounds in 5 weeks! As frustrating and as slow as this is to me, I realize that what I am doing is sustainable. The amount I am eating...1500 calories leaves me content. I enjoy the exercise. Who knows, it may take a year at this rate to lose the weight. But I’m not miserable or even sad as most diets leave me. So I am in it for the long run!!!! And I’m thankful I don’t have to stand on a scale in a skimpy outfit in front of America!

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Yeah, I think that show was sick and degrading. Not a fan.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I remember watching the show and being amazed at the weight loss as a season progressed the losses were less dramatic. Sometimes they would lose 1 or two pounds rather than 10 to 15 in a week. That’s crazy. I lost 3 ounces in two weeks, a total of 3 1/2 pounds in 5 weeks! As frustrating and as slow as this is to me, I realize that what I am doing is sustainable. The amount I am eating...1500 calories leaves me content. I enjoy the exercise. Who knows, it may take a year at this rate to lose the weight. But I’m not miserable or even sad as most diets leave me. So I am in it for the long run!!!! And I’m thankful I don’t have to stand on a scale in a skimpy outfit in front of America!

Well written, thank you!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    One episode.
    I don’t care much for reality tv, don’t find entertainment in humiliating people, for whatever reason. I’m definitely in the minority with the popularity of the genre.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I really liked watching the show, but I can understand why it needed to be taken off the air for a while. The amount they made the contestants work out every day seemed like torture looking back. The last couple seasons the contestants finished the season at home which I think was a great addition to the program, because if you can't sustain after the boot camp what's the point?

They definitely put way too much emphasis on fitness and not enough on food in what they showed the viewers which I think gave people the wrong impression on how to get started on their own weight loss.

It's coming back next year and I am excited to see what they have changed. I am hoping they show a lot more food information, and I think weekly therapy sessions would also be a great addition. Maybe they were doing that but I don't remember seeing it as a viewer. I also think it would make sense to have a rotating boot camp, where they are at the boot camp 2 weeks, and go home 2 weeks. Or maybe boot camp Friday-Sunday and home Monday-Thursday.

I hope the show does the right thing this time, but then again it's all about ratings so I won't get my hopes too high.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    I personally used to love watching it, but I believe it sets unrealistic expectations on people. I tried every crash diet out there trying to copy their results. Never lasted. And for most the contestants once the show is over they gain it back. Not sustainable or really overall even healthy. Just plays into the diet culture we live in
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    That show represents what a lot of people think they need to do to lose weight, and why they think it's impossible. In reality, though, sustainable weight loss is pretty boring and wouldn't be fun to watch. I don't enjoy the show because it seems like they're just torturing people with exercise and food "challenges", but I can understand why they don't focus on a sustainable lifestyle. It's dull.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Every single one of those people gained the weight back. They also did long lasting harm to their bodies and metabolism, since they were frequently eating barely 800 calories a day, and exercising a lot.

Nothing about that show was healthy.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I saw a few episodes. They ran those people into the ground. Knowing what I know now, it's a wonder any of them survived.