Any diet soda drinkers here?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    (Raises hand)

Been drinking diet soda since high school so roughly 30 years. 1-2 cans/day of Diet Coke. Drank it at my lowest and highest weights and everything in between.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    I drink a LOT of cherry coke zero, it's my favorite <3
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    dodea48 wrote: »
    Surprising that no one has pointed out that diet soda is not good for you. There are studies indicating that diet soda drinkers are at higher risk for metabolic syndrome. When I was slightly overweight I began drinking diet soda to eliminate calories from regular soda. I gained weight. I found out that fast food with diet soda is not a good diet.

Diet Coke has the same acids that regular Coke has, bad for teeth. Read the ingredients.

Diet Ginger Ale
    Ingredients: CARBONATED WATER, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVATIVE), MALIC ACID, ASPARTAME, CARAMEL COLOR, NATURAL FLAVORS, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (PRESERVE FLAVOR).

Water is better

Can you please post links to these studies? I do know there are a couple MFPers that gained weight drinking diet soda, not from the drink itself, but they had issues with the aspertame causing increased hunger cues (iirc).

I started drinking diet soda a few years ago. I like the carbonation giving me that "filled up" feeling so I'm not snacking. I have tried carbonated water and ... no.

I've had to get several brands of diet soda into my rota for where there's a sale or the monthly checks come out so everyone has to stock up on Pepsi and Coke. My favorite so far is vanilla Coke zero. Found it at Walmart for a couple weeks and it's gone now.
  • okc0mputr
    okc0mputr Posts: 20 Member
    edited September 2019
    I stopped drinking coke and completely quit consuming corn syrup 6 months ago. I can't stand the taste of any artificial sweeteners, so I occasionally get a glass bottle coke with cane sugar. Just about all soda's have a cane sugar equivalent so I sometimes get root beer, ginger ale, orange crush, etc. to fulfill my love of carbonated beverages without having any corn syrup. I also have epilepsy, and apartame (sweet n low) is known to cause seizures, which is enough reason for anyone to avoid it in my opinion.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited September 2019
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Coke Zero is my spirit animal.

I usually drink one can bottle a day :smile:

It's so much better out of the bottle than the can.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

You're just fancier than me :tongue:

I do prefer the bottles, but not enough to pass up the awesome sale prices I can find on the cans. I'm cheap!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

You're just fancier than me :tongue:

I do prefer the bottles, but not enough to pass up the awesome sale prices I can find on the cans. I'm cheap!

I sink to cans for the Vanilla Coke Zero, because I can't find it in the bottle. Vanilla Coke Zero is my mostest favorite.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I usually have one or two diet orange crush or diet A&W pretty much daily. I used to be a big soda drinker...weened myself down and then only had the occasional one here and there...it was a few years until I started drinking diet. When I was a regular soda drinker, diet always tasted weird to me...but I guess after a few years of not really drinking soda that weird taste doesn't really register anymore...it's just tasty.
  • belislek
    belislek Posts: 2 Member
    Typically 1 to 2 cans of Diet Pepsi in the morning. Then I use my SodaStream for sparkling water the rest of the day. I've been a Diet Pepsi drinker for most of my life. Since I've cut back on other snacks and foods I used to eat I figure this is the one thing I can still enjoy!
  • Bjane01
    Bjane01 Posts: 23 Member
    I used to drink diet soda every single day. Last summer I got a kidney stone. The doctor advised me to stop drinking diet soda and soda in general. So I did. After an agonizing month I passed the stone. However, I did give up soda completely. I can't drink it at all anymore. It takes terrible to me if I even try. I can only drink water and lemonade for the most part. Maybe tea.

Honestly when you quit it for a while you realize how gross it really is.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    dodea48 wrote: »
    Surprising that no one has pointed out that diet soda is not good for you. There are studies indicating that diet soda drinkers are at higher risk for metabolic syndrome. When I was slightly overweight I began drinking diet soda to eliminate calories from regular soda. I gained weight. I found out that fast food with diet soda is not a good diet.

Diet Coke has the same acids that regular Coke has, bad for teeth. Read the ingredients.

Diet Ginger Ale
    Ingredients: CARBONATED WATER, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVATIVE), MALIC ACID, ASPARTAME, CARAMEL COLOR, NATURAL FLAVORS, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (PRESERVE FLAVOR).

Water is better

Iiiiiiinteresting because I gained 30 lbs after going off diet soda and only drinking water.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited September 2019
    Deleted.

Wrong thread... lol
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    All day, everyday! I drink at least 2 liters a day.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    All day, everyday! I drink at least 2 liters a day.

Same here, , , for the last 45 years. AND my blood work and annual physicals are exemplary. Go figure!