Timing matters. More calories in morning?

Has anyone looked into the study that showed overweight women lost significantly more weight by having half their calories at breatfast than the women that had half at dinner? Same food and same calories over 12 wks. Assuming it would even out over longer amount of time but is curious if timing could be a quick start method for people.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957/

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Nope, not me.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    I don’t like eating in morning and am close to my goal so not something I will be trying. But if that was an easy jumpstart for people to start with, that would be amazing. Heard about it on an NPR podcast.
    https://www.npr.org/2016/05/31/479754700/food-for-thought-the-subtle-forces-that-affect-your-appetite
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Thanks for posting the link, I read the abstract only. I do better IF-style with a targeted 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm feeding period. We're all different. Thanks again.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    The only impact a higher intake in the morning might have is providing more energy to fuel more vigorous activity like walking faster, lifting heavier loads, etc. Any extra weight loss will depend entirely on how you exert that energy.

That is possible.

However many of us have daily routines (like going to work for 8 hours) that are not going to change regardless of what we eat when - so moot point for many of us.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited September 2019
    On a normal day I eat almost all of my calories from mid-morning to early evening. This works for me because that is when I'm most active and I feel just better overall. Plus at night I mostly just relax, hangout with my family and read.

However, I keep a close eye on my calorie intake everyday. I feel that is more important and also staying consistent with it.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I normally eat half my calories at breakfast, tend to have a larger lunch than dinner, and many days have no dinner at all. My breakfasts look more like other people's lunches, including two or more servings of vegetables. It's a great fit for me because it reduces the likelihood of acid reflux being a problem at bedtime. The downside is that it takes some effort to fit in social dinners.

Despite the fact that I eat the way they are advocating, I doubt that there is much of anything beyond CICO at play.