Any diet soda drinkers here?

Replies

• weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    dodea48 wrote: »
    Surprising that no one has pointed out that diet soda is not good for you. There are studies indicating that diet soda drinkers are at higher risk for metabolic syndrome. When I was slightly overweight I began drinking diet soda to eliminate calories from regular soda. I gained weight. I found out that fast food with diet soda is not a good diet.

Diet Coke has the same acids that regular Coke has, bad for teeth. Read the ingredients.

Diet Ginger Ale
    Ingredients: CARBONATED WATER, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVATIVE), MALIC ACID, ASPARTAME, CARAMEL COLOR, NATURAL FLAVORS, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (PRESERVE FLAVOR).

Water is better

Yea, this is what kind of scared me after doing some research. But I guess in moderation it shouldn't be that bad, of course it will never replace the amount of water I drink daily.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Surprising that no one has pointed out that diet soda is not good for you. There are studies indicating that diet soda drinkers are at higher risk for metabolic syndrome. When I was slightly overweight I began drinking diet soda to eliminate calories from regular soda. I gained weight. I found out that fast food with diet soda is not a good diet.

Diet Coke has the same acids that regular Coke has, bad for teeth. Read the ingredients.

Diet Ginger Ale
    Ingredients: CARBONATED WATER, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVATIVE), MALIC ACID, ASPARTAME, CARAMEL COLOR, NATURAL FLAVORS, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (PRESERVE FLAVOR).

Water is better

The bolded made me laugh. I ignored everything else you said..... :#
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    I absolutely love Cherry Coke Zero.
    Cherry Coke has always been my favorite, and when it came out in Zero I was super excited.
    I have a 20 oz every afternoon (helps curb my sweet cravings and snacking craving) and sometimes have a can or two over the weekend if I need a caffeine boost, or want to snack on something.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Once in a while I have Diet Mountain Dew Code Red
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I'm a coke zero girl
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    If I drink a soda at all, it's diet. I hate drinking my calories - such a waste. Plus, all that sugar makes me feel blah. But I don't drink a ton of soda. Not a huge fan of carbonation. I mostly drink those little sugar free mixes you add into water. As far as I'm concerned, it's a myth that diet soda makes you fat - I guess unless you like to eat a lot of crap while you drink it. I've been maintaining at goal for 7+ years and none of my diet drinks - including sodas - has ever been a problem.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member

Diet Ginger Ale

Water is better

Stop with the Bro science 😄
  • clord2
    clord2 Posts: 413 Member
    I drink way too much Diet Coke. I have been trying to cut back lately. My doctor really gets on me about it.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    My dentist tells me that even carbonated water without flavourings or anything is acidic, and not ideal for teeth.

I do keep that in mind and don't have soda very often...but really enjoy it when I do! (right now I am having a coke no sugar - my Saturday afternoon treat after a loooong walk)

(I have not got great teeth so this is possibly more of a concern for me than some - I don't think any soda is "bad", but as I have had to spend a lot of time and money getting my teeth sorted, I do take my dentist's advice seriously)
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    edited September 2019
    weight3049 wrote: »
    I was a huge fan of soda/juice before starting my weight loss journey. Any avid diet soda drinkers here? I never drank a diet soda in my life but just started this week.

Every medical professional I’ve spoken to (dieticians included!) agrees that diet soda is a perfectly acceptable alternative to juice and regular soda. As long as you drink it in moderation and are drinking water throughout the day (and assuming you don’t have any sensitivities to dyes or sweeteners) you will be fine drinking one or two cans a day.

I almost always have a diet ginger ale around dinner (drinking it over the course of 1-3 hours), and usually I have a smaller can of diet coke with lunch. No sugar cravings, no desire to drink more (in fact I’m finding it takes longer and longer to finish a can).

Here’s the important part: DON’T USE DIET SODA AS AN EXCUSE TO INCREASE UNNECESSARY CALORIE INTAKE!! It’s overlooked time and again that people who drink diet soda think they can eat more and still lose weight.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,974 Member
    Try going without your diet soda for three weeks ---- the first one you pick up will not taste good, you will realize it is just fizz and it was only habit that made you think you liked it

But what would be the point of doing this??

i enjoy drinking diet soda in moderation - as previously stated around 2 - 3 cans per week.

Why would I want to give it up if it is causing me no problems???

(yes i get that people may have sensitivities or be trying to save money or avoiding all carbonated drinks or whatever - but their reasons are specific to them - doesn't seem a good blanket recomendation for everyone.)

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Usually around 4 litres per day
    Coke Zero, Coke Zero vanilla, Diet Coke strawberry, Pepsi Max raspberry its all good
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    I dropped soda altogether (was a C zero drinker) and went with the many flavored water options both carbonated and not. Glad I did it and not looking back. But geez.... be ready if you bash soda on here!
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    jo_nz wrote: »
    My dentist tells me that even carbonated water without flavourings or anything is acidic, and not ideal for teeth.

I do keep that in mind and don't have soda very often...but really enjoy it when I do! (right now I am having a coke no sugar - my Saturday afternoon treat after a loooong walk)

(I have not got great teeth so this is possibly more of a concern for me than some - I don't think any soda is "bad", but as I have had to spend a lot of time and money getting my teeth sorted, I do take my dentist's advice seriously)

I get this from my dentist about my coffee drinking, guess it's even more acidic than sodas and such? She told me to swish with a bit of water after each cup so I try and remember to do that on a regular basis.