For people who have finished C2K5

Did you just use an app or did you also go to C2K5 training sessions like some running stores sponsor? My local Fleet Feet will be starting a class in early October geared for a race that I am registered for... but I will already be 3 weeks into my C25K app by then.

I feel like I'm a pretty good "self starter" and have lost 40+ lbs over the past year using an app (thanks MFP!) so I'm inclined to just go it alone with my app.

For you folks who have successfully finished this, was a C2K5 app sufficient for your needs?

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    I just used the app on my own. The nearest running store for me is 60 miles away so that was my only option. If you think you would enjoy joining a group it might be helpful. But it is certainly not a requirement to be part of a group. Part of what I love about running is that I can do it by myself.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I downloaded the NHS podcasts instead of using an app. It worked great! After completing I continued running until I worked up the nerve to join a local Parkrun. I am now attending a weekly workshop with coached plans to improve my 5k time through the local runner association
  • Girlheidi
    Girlheidi Posts: 60 Member
    I downloaded the NHS podcasts instead of using an app. It worked great! After completing I continued running until I worked up the nerve to join a local Parkrun. I am now attending a weekly workshop with coached plans to improve my 5k time through the local runner association

This^^
    The podcasts were great. I'm now doing Parkrun and one run a week on a treadmill. As I get more confident I may venture more outside but for now, I'm taking it slowly! Just wondering what to run in with cooler weather coming!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Thanks for all your feedback!
  • emmamcgarity
    I liked that the podcasts didn’t tell me my pace. It helped me listen to my body to run slower and avoid injury.
  • durhammfp
    I liked that the podcasts didn’t tell me my pace. It helped me listen to my body to run slower and avoid injury.

I think that is pretty key and what I like about my app, too.

• GregInORL
    GregInORL Posts: 232 Member
    It's been a couple years, I downloaded the app for my Pebble at the time and loved that it buzzed on my wrist when to run and when to walk. Run/Walk is still my most used feature on my running watches today.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    I did the app until the last few runs, where I just went based on the distance (since I was moving a little slower than the app expected). I've since changed over to the Nike run app, which I like better. It has options for a lot of different distances (I'm using it for a half marathon), and it will tell you your pace and when to turn around, but it's distance-based rather than time-based, so it's easier to use if you don't have the perfect pace.
  • runningfree60
    runningfree60 Posts: 1 Member
    I use an app called "Active" on my Android phone. It is a 9 week program, but I don't follow that schedule strictly. I'm stretching it out as long as I feel I need to for my body/lungs to adjust. Week 1 took me like 3 weeks to feel like I was comfortable enough to go to week 2, etc. I am really out of shape, even though I've been working out, (walking/hiking) consistently for years.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    None of the running stores in my area do C25K training sessions. They sponsor weekend group runs and the like, but not training sessions. All I did was the app years ago.
  • durhammfp
    I use an app called "Active" on my Android phone. It is a 9 week program, but I don't follow that schedule strictly. I'm stretching it out as long as I feel I need to for my body/lungs to adjust. Week 1 took me like 3 weeks to feel like I was comfortable enough to go to week 2, etc. I am really out of shape, even though I've been working out, (walking/hiking) consistently for years.

That's what I have and I'm also using it at my own pace. It's pretty basic and I like that.

• UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    I did it back in the day before apps existed :# Wrote the splits down on my hand and used my bargain basement sports watch to track the time.

Even if you're doing it on your own, do check out what local group running activities are available. If you find the right group of people, their energy can lift you up when you may be dragging.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    I did it alone but used the Podcasts to keep me motivated and on track. The music is actually quite good and kept me going at a good pace. Now I'm just doing 5k 3x a week and could maybe do with a running group or regular park run to boost my motivation as it seems to be dropping...along with my pace unfortunately.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    The app was fine for me. I’m not a group activities person and having to attend a class would have made me miserable. Some people are the exact opposite. Which are you? Do what makes you enjoy running the most, and don’t feel like you have to attend a class if you don’t want to.
  • durhammfp
    edited September 2019
    The app was fine for me. I’m not a group activities person and having to attend a class would have made me miserable. Some people are the exact opposite. Which are you?

Interesting question. If one were to put any stock in the MBTI, I am exactly in the middle between introvert and extrovert. And honestly, I can go either way as far as a class situation, depending on the specific people who are there.

Yesterday a running store rep said they would give me one free training session, so I can make up my mind.

So as of now that is what might settle it for me.

Thanks for all of y'all's input!

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I did C25k without an app. I just printed out the page from Cool Running that had a chart with the 9 week program and followed that. I think that I would have actually had a harder time with a group, because of the need to follow someone else's schedule. Some groups only meet once a week and you do the rest of the workouts on your own. That might work better than having to drive somewhere 3 days a week to meet up.
  • durhammfp

I saw on FB that a lot of folks on a popular C25K group use the NHS app. Sadly, it is not available in the US.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Check out the local FF group. I hear lots of people say the don't like groups. Then they try it and get hooked. You won't know which you are until you go a few times. Don't be intimidated. (Most) Runners are the friendliest bunch you will ever meet.

Good luck.
  • emmamcgarity
    durhammfp wrote: »

I saw on FB that a lot of folks on a popular C25K group use the NHS app. Sadly, it is not available in the US.
    I am in the US and used the NHS podcasts instead of the app. I was able to download the podcasts on my iPhone without any issue and listen to the music and cues telling me when to run and when to walk. I didn’t even look for the app since I already download and listen to podcasts on a regular basis.

l811fw4wdofa.png