Kettlebell bruises!

For the last 6 weeks I’ve been doing circuit training with kettlebells 3 days a week.... I really enjoy it but now I have these awful bruises on my wrist/forearm. They really freakin hurt! Anyone have this happen? Or have any ideas on how to keep the kettlebells from crashing into my atm when doing things like squat/ press ups and snatches? My fingers and hands are not that strong but I’m trying to lift heavier. Thanks!

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited September 2019
    Obviously work in perfect technique but also use. KB wrist bands.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I get them occasionally during cleans. It's a technique thing and the more I practise the fewer I get. Maybe drop the weight down a bit while you get the technique right (although I do tend to have more control with heavier weights)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Yes—switch to dumbbells 😂😂😂😂

While I have other physical skills (like, I’m gold on scapular retraction/stabilization), I have yet to master the art of “zero G” kettlebell shifting during those exercises. Many bruises and one destroyed watch finally convinced me.

Which sucks because they are great exercises—IMO, the best KB exercises you can do. ☹️

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Make sure you can do a clean reliably without crashing into your wrist before trying to do things like snatches. My forearms were black and blue until I discovered the following cue to help with the clean:

Lift the bell from the ground with your thumb towards your body. Keep your elbow close to your body. Keep the bell close to your body. The lift movement is like zipping up a jacket while holding a newspaper under your arm.