Truth about bulking article

Options
https://www.t-nation.com/training/truth-about-bulking

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this article. It resonates with me, because I think I'm in that in-between body fat % area.

So I decided I'm going to try and get the body fat percent down much further, no matter how skinny I believe I might end up looking.

I am not "strong", but I haven't noticed a decrease in strength since starting to drop my weight so that's a good thing. Should be interesting, considering I've never actively cut calories til now! It really isn't that hard. I find cutting much easier than bulking.

Replies

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I've learned a lot from my first cut that has been going on for most of 2019. I have lost some strength but I still value the experience. It's kind of good to know that you can drop 25 lbs when you want to. I haven't gotten as lean as I thought I would at this point and still have some stubborn belly fat. For now though I'm upping the calories to try and get my strength back up. I finally did get to the point where I was just feeling weak in the gym, never expected or even wanted to attempt a heavier lift, and was just falling into overindulging on desserts at night after a long day... It seems like as soon as I started to allow more calories- my enthusiasm in the gym just shot back up and I attempted to squat heavier this week. It felt good... better than I expected.

Probably my biggest lesson learned is to not go too crazy in your bulk (think the article emphasized this too). The pounds you put on carelessly come off at a pretty high price. It seems like the longer you cut... the cost gets exponentially greater.

Well I'm rambling on. Best of luck to you in your cut and strength goals.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    When you build muscle by getting stronger (which is how you build muscle) your body also adapts by increasing bone, tendon and organ density which will add a bit to the “2# / month” limit.

See what you think of this one:
    https://www.andybaker.com/building-a-simple-diet-for-mass/
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this article. It resonates with me, because I think I'm in that in-between body fat % area.

So I decided I'm going to try and get the body fat percent down much further, no matter how skinny I believe I might end up looking.

I am not "strong", but I haven't noticed a decrease in strength since starting to drop my weight so that's a good thing. Should be interesting, considering I've never actively cut calories til now! It really isn't that hard. I find cutting much easier than bulking.

T-Nation is pretty unreliable source. If you want quality insight, look more at Lyle McDonald, Eric Helms, Greg Knuckols, Andy Galpin, Eric Trexler, Mike Isratel, Brad Schoenfeld, Brad Dieter, Alan Aragon, and other very evidence based practioners.
    It seems a 200 calorie surplus is about the most needed, and there is no real muscle growth benefit from higher bulks.

If you've been lifting less than 6 months, particularly less than 6 months of a properly structured program, you can probably make gain muscle moderately even in a deficit.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If you've been lifting less than 6 months, particularly less than 6 months of a properly structured program, you can probably make gain muscle moderately even in a deficit.
    As long as they have sufficient internal energy stores ie body fat to sustain the metabolic processes required to train and build muscle simultaneously.

For example a 300# with 50% body fat will be able to build muscle in a deficit longer than a 160# at 10% body fat...

• edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The article is a bit dated, 13 years old. Evidence-based practitioners today recommend rates for bulking or cutting by % of body weight (or lean body weight) and the rates vary based on training age. The basic approach recommended in the article is still solid; dirty bulks are inefficient.

Good luck on your cut.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »

T-Nation is pretty unreliable source. If you want quality insight, look more at Lyle McDonald, Eric Helms, Greg Knuckols, Andy Galpin, Eric Trexler, Mike Isratel, Brad Schoenfeld, Brad Dieter, Alan Aragon, and other very evidence based practioners.
    It seems a 200 calorie surplus is about the most needed, and there is no real muscle growth benefit from higher bulks.

If you read the article, I believe you will find it is directionally correct to your comment I bolded and what the practitioners you mention say.

I do agree on your point regarding gaining muscle in a deficit as most people are carrying excessive bodyfat and the body can use the excess fat as energy to fuel muscle growth.