I'd like to know about Protein.

Options
The amount of protein that should be eaten per day, like me wieght 61.5 tall 168 how much should be eat protein ,carb, fat per day ?

Replies

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    protein should be about 1 gram per lb of your goal body weight. carbs and fat are pretty much a personal preference.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    protein should be about 1 gram per lb of your goal body weight. carbs and fat are pretty much a personal preference.

I keep seeing this stated on these forums and always wonder where it comes from?

The numbers I see on health and medically driven websites are somewhat different:

0.8g per kg body weight - which is 0.36g per pound.

Looks to me that somewhere along the line, rounding up has occurred along with a confusion between lbs and kgs!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »

I keep seeing this stated on these forums and always wonder where it comes from?

The numbers I see on health and medically driven websites are somewhat different:

0.8g per kg body weight - which is 0.36g per pound.

Looks to me that somewhere along the line, rounding up has occurred along with a confusion between lbs and kgs!

The numbers you reference are meet minimum health requirements for a person eating at maintenance and is widely seen as being insufficient for older people and for active people. For a person in a deficit, the recommendation of .8 to 1 gm of pound per GOAL weight + resistance/weight bearing exercise pretty much ensures preserving muscle mass during intentional deficit eating
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    plus, why not aim higher? if you don't hit your goal, you're still within range.

edit: corrected my poor grammar
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Another feature of protein is that 30% of the calories available in protein are wasted in getting the energy of calories out of the protein. That's called the Thermic Effect of Food, or TEF. Protein has a 30% TEF.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Another feature of protein is that 30% of the calories available in protein are wasted in getting the energy of calories out of the protein. That's called the Thermic Effect of Food, or TEF. Protein has a 30% TEF.

That's a huge overestimation. Like double the actual.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Also, TEF is not only a feature of protein, although the numbers vary.