cant seem to build strenght...help

Replies

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Human nature. It makes us feel better about ourselves when we observe individuals we perceive to be less intelligent than ourselves...
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    edited September 2019
    ok I've just about had enough with the sad comments some of you have posted here. I've been reading patiently but it really tested my limit now.

Guys, no need for unnecessary name calling and abusive insults. I

I literally am just trying to seek advice here since i'm a beginner but seems like... you people are the ones who lack patience to help someone. If you dont like helping someone, leave. dont answer. Helping someone, it seems, is not a trait that comes naturally to you nor it's something ya'll are passionate about.

If you were, I wouldn't have abuse and aggression being thrown my way for simply trying to work hard.

To those who genuinely want to help me, I have the following questions:

-how to keep up with the challenge of adding more weights with each workout considering I had a lot of difficulty doing overhead press in my last workout. I thought the whole point of linear progression was to make me stronger? Would you like to share any tips from experience?

-The way I do OP is I lift the bar from the ground for each set. Is this the correct way to do it?

-What do you suggest needs to be done if an exercise seems too heavy for me like OP despite me doing everything by the book? since that was the benefit i was promised of the liner progression workout since sadly, not only was i able to do OP with great difficulty and inefficiently, I also hurt my back when doing deadlift as the weight was a lot for me to pull.
    Any suggestions on how to fix this? Again, boggles my mind how asking questions about the very thing this forum has been created for is making some people here so impatient. I'm a beginner, ofcourse I will have more questions especially when things are not going to according to plan.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited September 2019
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    -how to keep up with the challenge of adding more weights with each workout considering I had a lot of difficulty doing overhead press in my last workout. I thought the whole point of linear progression was to make me stronger? Would you like to share any tips from experience?
    if you completed the prescribed reps it doesn’t matter how hard it “felt” because next time when you add more weight it’s going to be even harder and you may actually miss reps then have to come back next session and try to lift it again this time you may get 1 or 2 more reps or you may get them all viola stronger! or you may decide that being strong isn’t worth this much hard work and go back to doing low weight high reps on all your various assistance exercises and think you’re getting stronger but you really aren’t and that’s ok this progressive overload strength training thang ain’t for everybody cause you really have to put in everything you’ve got mentally and physically if you really want to make it work and eat to support how tall are you and how much do you weigh?

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    I’m not doing SL, but I DO do progressive overload, which is what adding more weights each session is. But I move up weights every WEEK not every session. So I do a full body workout 3x per week. But I use the same weight those three times Mon/Wed/Fri. Then when the next Monday comes along I add more weight.

If moving up weight every single time is too much for you, why not try using the same weight two or three times and THEN move up.

Progressive overload is meant to continually challenge your muscles, but if you’re having so many problems with it you CAN slow down a bit and work at that weight a bit longer before moving on, there’s no need to do yourself an injury.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    ok I've just about had enough with the sad comments some of you have posted here. I've been reading patiently but it really tested my limit now.

I literally am just trying to seek advice here since i'm a beginner but seems like... you people are the ones who lack patience to help someone. If you dont like helping someone, leave. dont answer. Helping someone, it seems, is not a trait that comes naturally to you nor it's something ya'll are passionate about.

If you were, I wouldn't have abuse and aggression being thrown my way for simply trying to work hard.

-The way I do OP is I lift the bar from the ground for each set. Is this the correct way to do it?

-What do you suggest needs to be done if an exercise seems too heavy for me like OP despite me doing everything by the book? since that was the benefit i was promised of the liner progression workout since sadly, not only was i able to do OP with great difficulty and inefficiently, I also hurt my back when doing deadlift as the weight was a lot for me to pull.
    Any suggestions on how to fix this? Again, boggles my mind how asking questions about the very thing this forum has been created for is making some people here so impatient. I'm a beginner, ofcourse I will have more questions especially when things are not going to according to plan.

On both the StrongLifts website and in the app there's guidance (including videos) on how to do the exercises. I suggest you have a look and educate yourself to avoid any further injury. This will show you that you can use the same bar for all exercises and don't need to start from the ground for OP.

It also gives you guidance on how you should progress in terms of adding weight.
  • fitpal02020
    I’m not doing SL, but I DO do progressive overload, which is what adding more weights each session is. But I move up weights every WEEK not every session. So I do a full body workout 3x per week. But I use the same weight those three times Mon/Wed/Fri. Then when the next Monday comes along I add more weight.

If moving up weight every single time is too much for you, why not try using the same weight two or three times and THEN move up.

Progressive overload is meant to continually challenge your muscles, but if you’re having so many problems with it you CAN slow down a bit and work at that weight a bit longer before moving on, there’s no need to do yourself an injury.

thanks i'll try that.
  • fitpal02020

On both the StrongLifts website and in the app there's guidance (including videos) on how to do the exercises. I suggest you have a look and educate yourself to avoid any further injury. This will show you that you can use the same bar for all exercises and don't need to start from the ground for OP.

It also gives you guidance on how you should progress in terms of adding weight.

thank you, ill review this info
  • fitpal02020
    wiigelec wrote: »
    if you completed the prescribed reps it doesn’t matter how hard it “felt” because next time when you add more weight it’s going to be even harder and you may actually miss reps then have to come back next session and try to lift it again this time you may get 1 or 2 more reps or you may get them all viola stronger! or you may decide that being strong isn’t worth this much hard work and go back to doing low weight high reps on all your various assistance exercises and think you’re getting stronger but you really aren’t and that’s ok this progressive overload strength training thang ain’t for everybody cause you really have to put in everything you’ve got mentally and physically if you really want to make it work and eat to support how tall are you and how much do you weigh?

180 lbs
  • fitpal02020
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

It's not abuse to tell you to be patient or to listen to the advice you've been given.
    It is also not aggressive to tell you to seek help from a trainer because what you're describing here is a complete lack of understanding about the movements you're trying to do and how progression works.
    You need a trainer.

my question was inquiring about the program's objective: that it's supposed to make me STRONGER by continuously adding weights in every exercise. However, I personally did not experience the strength gain as I did not see strength gain when I was doing overhead press. I had to do it with great difficulty. That was my question.

You have not added value to it and instead chose to be rude and condescending towards me, a newbie to this program, rather than be supportive.

Please dont respond again like that or I will report you to the mods if you continue to be rude and disrespectful to beginners who simply want to take care of their health and fitness.

My question has been answered by other members so you need respond again.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

It's not abuse to tell you to be patient or to listen to the advice you've been given.
    It is also not aggressive to tell you to seek help from a trainer because what you're describing here is a complete lack of understanding about the movements you're trying to do and how progression works.
    You need a trainer.

my question was inquiring about the program's objective: that it's supposed to make me STRONGER by continuously adding weights in every exercise. However, I personally did not experience the strength gain as I did not see strength gain when I was doing overhead press. I had to do it with great difficulty. That was my question.

You have not added value to it and instead chose to be rude and condescending towards me, a newbie to this program, rather than be supportive.

Please dont respond again like that or I will report you to the mods if you continue to be rude and disrespectful to beginners who simply want to take care of their health and fitness.

My question has been answered by other members so you need respond again.

Building strength takes weeks/months, you wont really notice from one day to the next. Stick with it as written and in 3 or 4 months you will see noticible stength gains
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    An OP isn't done from the ground? Sounds like you're trying to snatch and OP which is a powerlifting technique.

Overhead press is done from the chest up over the head. Note: you don't need to be using this much weight!

7jsea84fl9bq.jpg
  • fitpal02020
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    An OP isn't done from the ground? Sounds like you're trying to snatch and OP which is a powerlifting technique.

Overhead press is done from the chest up over the head. Note: you don't need to be using this much weight!

7jsea84fl9bq.jpg

thank you!
  • fitpal02020
    guys i figured out what i was doing wrong..

so the barbells are all different weighs. I just assumed each barbell would be 45 lbs. Turns out the last barbell I used for deadlifts and overhead press was 55 lbs!

The barbell I have been using for squats was 40 lbs. One time I did overhead press with a 25 lbs barbell.
    Ughhh i feell like i messed up my stronglifts routine too badly.
    Iss there a way i can fix this?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Could you just start over? You’ve got so much time ahead of you. Fitness is a lifelong endeavor.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Could you just start over? You’ve got so much time ahead of you. Fitness is a lifelong endeavor.

This, and it doesn't matter which bar you use, just know which one it is so the total weight is correct. I would suggest continuing with deadlifts and squats, but maybe restart the OHP and bench with the 45lb bar and go from there
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Jut as a little comment - you are not going to build strength in one or two weeks - it takes ages - sorry - there is no quick fix.
This discussion has been closed.