Best Deadlifting Shoes

Which shoes do you recommend for deadlifts and why?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I typically recommend leather wrestling or soccer shoes across the board because no stretch, good arch support, and flat sole with zero compression.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    I deadflift using Sabos because of the flat sole, good grip and stability for your ankles. If you aren't going to compete, I would just lift without shoes
  • akafful
    akafful Posts: 64 Member
    Would you guys recommend these shoes?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited September 2019
    The Pumas in your link above are NOT weight lifting shoes. You can lift in any shoes but you asked which are BEST to lift in and that's a different question.

I wear VS Atletics weight lifting shoes which are made out of leather, have velcro straps to tighten the fit of the uppers over your insove which provides better stability w/flat smooth leather sole and lifted heels to facilitate doing squats and DLs.

Any lifting shoe that you buy should have these features IMO but lots of people love Chuck Taylor Converse shoes for this purposr. I bought a pair based on such recommendations but i fon't feel adewuate foot supprt in them when lifting heavt.

VS offers the best value in the quality of materials and construction IMO. You can get VS shoes from their site for only $60 (40% off MSRP) as show on the following link but there are,also many other brand and types of lifting shoes shown on the link if you'd rather pay more for something different.

See:https://www.vsathletics.com/store/Weight-Training-Footwear/
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    edited September 2019
    I prefer the leather nobulls for deadlifts
    Comfort, support etc, also use them for
    Standing compound exercises, except squats
  • akafful
    edited September 2019
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    The Pumas in your link above are NOT weight lifting shoes. You can lift in any shoes but you asked which are BEST to lift in and that's a different question.

I do have a pair, and they did provide support for my cross-training, including my box jumps.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I'm not a competitive lifter. I wear barefoot shoes that I make myself. Leather or thin rubber soles.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    The shoes you posted have cushioned soles. Those soles will compress if you do heavy deadlifts and feel unstable - like lifting on a mattress as Chiefrlg one wrote.

When many people talk about weight lifting shoes, they are talking about shoes with a raised heel and a hard sole. I use shoes like that (Nike Romaloes) for squats, but change out of them for deadlifts because the raised heel would mess up my deadlifts. Most people in my gym seem to take off squat shoes if they are wearing them before deadlifts.

I use Merrill minimalist trail shoes for deadlifting because they have a bit of arch support but flat soles with no cushion.
  • akafful
    edited September 2019
    mreichard wrote: »
    The shoes you posted have cushioned soles. Those soles will compress if you do heavy deadlifts and feel unstable - like lifting on a mattress as Chiefrlg one wrote.

But I can still use them for any other training, right?

Outside of deadlifts?
    I deadflift using Sabos because of the flat sole, good grip and stability for your ankles.

I’ve heard of those, I’m a fan of their look and function, it’s a little above my price range right now so I’m saving up.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    I squat and deadlift in chucks. I know they aren’t the best option, but I’ve had them for years and they work for me.
    I’m not a competitive lifter though, just recreational.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    I deadflift using Sabos because of the flat sole, good grip and stability for your ankles. If you aren't going to compete, I would just lift without shoes

+1 for sabos, I enjoy mine and also low bar squat in them.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited September 2019
    bare feet.

Unfortunately the gym won't allow me to do that, so i've succumbed to Vibram 5 finger shoes.

EDIT - I've been wearing zero drop "barefoot" shoes for a while now. It takes some people a while to get used to being barefoot so it can be uncomfortable. It's the opposite for me now - I feel uncomfortable if I wear my old Nike trainers now. Hurts my shins.
  • No shoes. If your gym won't allow things like no shoes, flat shoes like chucks.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Vibram 5fingers here. As close to barefoot as I can get. Always.
  • akafful
    No shoes. If your gym won't allow things like no shoes, flat shoes like chucks.

Or Vans?
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    edited September 2019
    akafful wrote: »
    mreichard wrote: »

But I can still use them for any other training, right?

Outside of deadlifts?

I wouldn't deadlift or squat in them, but other than that they are fine. Some people don't like cushioned shoes for overhead press.

Note also that some of this depends on the weight. If you're starting with an empty bar, then this makes a lot less difference, but it starts to matter surprisingly soon. When I was squatting 135 lbs, I found that barefoot was much better than the running shoes I started out with. When I reached about 225 pounds, I found squat shoes helped me keep my knees aligned much better than squatting barefoot.

With deadlifts, it seemed to make a difference at about 185 pounds.

• akafful wrote: »
    No shoes. If your gym won't allow things like no shoes, flat shoes like chucks.

Or Vans?

Van's would be ok, just nothing with a lot of padding or a heel lift at all.

But I really can't stress how awesome no shoes is. It makes you so much more aware of your feet. I train shoeless on every lift that is with a static foot position - deadlifts, clean and press/log press, squats etc. (yes I know a heel lift could help with squats I prefer barefoot) sometimes I even kick the shoes off for standing dumbell curls and other accessories work, I just prefer it.
  • akafful
    So I used these for my deadlifts and squats. A pair of Vans Asher shoes

I think these worked.
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 718 Member
    My gym doesn't allow barefoot, so for me, the next best thing is chucks. I've been squatting and deadlifting in them for years. They're flat and stable.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Flat shoes but, according to this article, there's no need to make a special purchase: http://nattyornot.com/best-shoes-squats-deadlifts/