Flavors of Childhood?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    bear2303 wrote: »
    I remember sometime, on Friday nights...we used to have "hot dogs and popcorn" for dinner! We used to boil and then roast hot dogs over the flame of our gas stove and then pop some popcorn on the stove top (on the stove...microwaves weren't invented then) put salt and butter on the popcorn and wash it down with kool-aid --roasted hot dogs and popcorn was THE BEST dinner!

100508_hotdog.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

2015-05-24-buttered-popcorn-7-680x384.jpg?la=en

Oh my goodness you just reminded me that when i was a kiddo my mom would take us to the movies and occasionally we'd get to have hotdogs and popcorn for dinner! We didn't make it at home ever but the combo of hot dogs and popcorn is totally amazing!

s95ig5saokul.png
  • Boomshakalaka01
    Boomshakalaka01 Posts: 65 Member
    Curry, fish, (general macro-biotic diet), Baby Ruths, Steamed veggies, Japanese food, Cup-o-Noodle, Mashed Potatoes.... and more!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Nice, cold can of condensed milk that was sitting in the fridge for a while. Make two holes on the top, and sip away. And pan fried hot dogs. French toast.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    An occasional quick Friday night dinner was french bread, pate & salami. We thought we were so fancy.

Or pancakes for dinner with lemon juice and brown sugar. My DH doesn't really consider that a "dinner" type of meal...maybe that's what I should have this weekend when he's off camping with the Scouts!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited September 2019
    Another thing this thread inspired me to think of ( that I haven't thought of in YEARS)...

Salt pork
    When I was a child, sometimes instead of bacon, we'd have "salt pork" and I LOVED it (and hadn't thought of it nor has any in YEARS!). We would let the salt pork boil in a lot of water for a long time and then fry it...it looked like this (before and after)

20121109-chichis-chinese-pork-belly-slab.jpg

Streakolean.jpg

• pancakerunner
    mwgchc9myxs2.jpg
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    mwgchc9myxs2.jpg

That reminds me. When I was a kid, the Good Humor ice cream trucks sold chocolate eclair bars (vanilla ice cream on stick coated with chocolate and vanilla cookie crumbs), and the center was hard chocolate candy. It was so good, but they don't seem to make them that way anymore.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Potato and cheese perogi with fried onions and sour cream. Borscht. Potato pancakes. Peas and plums picked from my grandparents garden.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited September 2019
    The Aussie Hot Bread Kitchen franchise cream buns.

muofnwaii5px.png

Officially jealous because those look DELICIOUS!

I miss the eclairs at a bakery in my hometown but that's more from my early adult years...I think around 1999-2005. They were so much better than any other eclair or similar cream-filled dessert, they pretty much ruined all the others for me. Those look darn amazing though ^

I also miss the weird free cookies they gave away at the local supermarket during my 80s childhood. They were a sugar cookie that was never too hard or too soft. The dough was just barely mixed through with food coloring so they would have a blue, red, or green section on 1/3 or 1/2 of the cookie and that was it. I never considered them a fave back then but I'd love to have one more!

Eclairs ... Delish! And cream puffs. Reminds me, that we would visit students from our old private school or my brother's when they would be "roughing it" in a village setting to help out after a hurricane and we would arrive with Eclairs ( chocolate and crème) plus hot milo & coffee. It was hilarious, as I recall - they would act as though we had responded to an S.O.S.

@supermarket cookies. My friend's 10 year old still loves those.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    9bqoy51lux0a.png

Nougat bars. The Summer roll was my favourite.
  • pancakerunner
    vbi6m8iloj9u.jpg
    9eat5t967yuu.jpg
    fxfei00nj0lt.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    2d3qmn1ij9cv.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    dvxzk3e6rmb7.jpg
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    wwfyf97ium8i.png

I recently had a craving for spaghetti-o's so bought a can and they've changed the recipe 😭
  • pancakerunner
    edited September 2019
    whitpauly wrote: »
    wwfyf97ium8i.png

I recently had a craving for spaghetti-o's so bought a can and they've changed the recipe 😭

ehhhh... no thanks!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited September 2019
    2d3qmn1ij9cv.jpg

Mmmmmm yesss. I am craving corn dogs now. I went through a phase where I'd have 3-4 corndogs dipped in mustard every day when I got home from school, lol.
  • pancakerunner
    5h00bsuwab0e.jpg
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited September 2019
    5h00bsuwab0e.jpg

I LOVED Apple jacks as a kid...the box looked like this back then:
    6075aea21644768554902918fa69e232.jpg

box1203.jpg

We only ate cereal on Saturday's (My mother cooked/prepared our food/all of our meals, all the time or as we got older we cooked stuff--rarely eating out or rarely eating stuff that didn't need to be cooked/prepared ourselves), we only ate cereal on the day we "wanted" to stay inside (Saturday's until noon, and that was when we watched tv/Saturday morning cartoons), other than that...we had to be on "death's door" (super sick), OR on "pains of death" as PUNISHMENT (for something we did wrong)--staying inside was absolutely a "punishment" of some sort back when I was a child. We NEVER wanted to stay inside and not go outside to play--EVER.

We weren't really allowed to nor did we want to be/stay at home during the daytime (spring, summer, fall or winter) FOR ANY REASON ( if we were "dautling" inside--my mother would tell us "go outside and play")--this wasn't an question/suggestion--it was a command, other than sickness--even homework was done in the evening AFTER coming in from playing during weekdays. Rain, snow, sleet or hail wouldn't keep us kids inside...we were outside playing no matter the weather or at someone's (other than our own) house playing--even when at someone's house playing, we didn't/wouldn't stay in over someone else's house playing all day either. WE WENT OUTSIDE TO PLAY ALL THE TIME. We stayed "outside" playing until the lights came on-- we went (HAD TO) go outside to play ALL the time, and if it was really inclement weather--we would go to someone else's house and visa versa at our home, as I think of it...we (my friends, siblings, parents, etc.) were RARELY sick as well.

Everyday but Saturday's we would mainly ate either bacon/sausage, eggs, piece of fruit, toast, or oatmeal/cream of wheat/malt-o-meal/grits, boiled eggs, piece of fruit, regular or raisin toast with butter and jelly, and every once in a while we had orange juice with our breakfast, other than that, water (from the tap).

This was one of my ALL time favorite Saturday morning cereals, period. Also this was second & third best:

366_3111_ucp.jpg

6095b0ce4f574ec87387c61b3d2f2eb0.jpg

On RARE occasion, my parents would "splurge" and get us these most coveted cereals for Saturdays:

trix-cereal-boxes-1964-1970.jpg

crunch.jpg