SCARED to gain

I figure this would be the best place to post and read until my eyeballs cross. I am 57. 5'5" and have gone from 215 to 142 in a year. This is the 2nd time I've lost alot of weight--in 2013 I lost 88 lbs but gained 63 back. I'm in a smaller size than I was the first time--from an 18 to an 8!
Here's the thing.....I'm SCARED to death to gain it back. Seriously SCARED. I've posted in other forums only to find out I'm eating too little. I was at 1230 cals a day. If I up my goal to maintenance, it's telling me 1700! Plus I'm supposed to eat my exercise calories too? How can I maintain if I'm eating that much???

Replies

• Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    This is perfect!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    Congratulations on reaching maintenance!

You have to keep in mind that while you are eating 1230 calories per day you are losing weight. If you increase your calories you will not gain weight, you will just stop losing weight. It can be hard and the fear of re-gaining is real. I would just start increasing your goal by 100 or so calories each week or two until you level out.

FWIW, after I hit my goal I kept losing weight because my activity increased a lot. So if you keep your activity up you will need to account for that and eat more.

It is also good to set a maintenance range of maybe 5 pounds or so because your weight will continue to fluctuate just as it did while losing. There is a maintenance weekly check in thread that I have found to be quite helpful too. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44218339#Comment_44218339
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    One day at a time, my friend.

Like sijomial said, you won't gain unless you ignore your body weight scale for a very long time.

I still log food, like I said in your other thread I tried not logging food and had to re-lose that very difficult "last 10 pounds" AGAIN, and I'm not making that mistake twice. If/when I stop logging I tend to forget my portion sizes and "ignore" that cheeseburger, fries and milkshake twice a week and before I know it. . . bam. 10.

So stick with us. Congrats on Maintenance. The first year is a bit of a roller coaster, don't freak out, keep eating well most of the time, I'd say give yourself a flexible range (most people have a 5 pound Maintenance range) and keep stepping on that scale once or twice a week. I still log my weight and food and exercise in my Excel sheet. It's worth it to me to plot my numbers.

Thank you cmriverside! I appreciate all of your help with this maintenance newb!